Protein shakes make you gain weight?!

Options
13»

Replies

• Sydamty
    Options
    Ive been drinking the whey chocolate and whey vanilla - by eas for 2 months now as breakfast and ive lost 35 pounds...

the only thing i can say is...
    "Muscle weighs more than fat"
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The powder I have CAN make you gain weight, it depends on how you use it. If you're using it in milk, yogurt, adding peanut butter, etc, those are meant for builders who want to gain a lot of weight and muscle. If you're using skim milk or water, that's where you're just getting the protein and not the extra fat.

I'm using Body Fortress, in case anyone was wondering.
    Think about this for a minute - it's not the powder itself that can make you gain weight, it's all the extra "stuff" one could put into the shake, which add up to more calories. The same could be said of any food. A chicken breast is 150 calories - if you mix it with pasta and cover it with alfredo sauce, the calorie count is going to be much higher - no mystery about that. Again, protein powder is no different than any other kind of food.

I only meant to say that I was using powder as opposed to liquid shakes. Yes, the extra stuff is what adds up more calories, I realize I didn't write this very clearly.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are merely food. In and of themselves, NO, they do not cause weight gain. I've had one for breakfast for years. Sometimes two a day. I use whey in numerous recipes. What causes weight gain is sitting too much, being inactive, and eating more than you burn off in calories.