Long hair - everyday a wash?

For those people with long hair out there:

I've just started really working out and I'm sweaty every day now. I usually wear my hair in a high ponytail and where the hair comes together it gets kind of sweaty and gross. So ...

Do you wash your hair everyday with shampoo? Do you just rinse it? Do you just not make it wet at all?

I feel still unclean when I only rinse it, but washing it every day is just bad for your hair. Plus I would have to restyle it a lot ..
What's the solution? What do you guys do?

Replies

• niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Get some dry shampoo?
  • I have grown my hair down to my butt several times. (I donate it) I have VERY healthy hair, and I wash it EVERY day. I don't see how some women can go days without washing it. EWWWW! I have some aunts that do it, but I can't. Personally, I think the health of your hair is based ALOT on the shampoo and conditioner you use. I do however, do things for the health of my hair, like, I very seldom use heat on my hair, blow drying, flat irons, etc. I also do a deep conditioning when my hair feels like it needs it. I don't sleep with it tied back, and I comb it out starting at the ends. A little trick too, prenatal vitamins. Your hair is shinier, your nails are stronger, plus the vitamins are great for you. I hope this helps.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    My hair is below my shoulders now, and I wash everyday and have for years. I shower every morning and wash my hair - dry and style it. If I work out in the afternoons instead of the morning I take another shower and wash my hair and let it dry naturally. I used to worry about drying it out, but found this absolutely awesome product that I use every time I was my hair. It's Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal. It's an oil that you leave in. I'm in the pool or salt water in the summer A LOT and there has been no damage. I attribute that to this product.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    I wash my hair every other day. For workouts I braid it. I also do(n't) do some of the same things as MySunshine. I don't blow dry, flat iron, curl, or even use styling products in my hair.

If it will make you feel better, you could rinse your hair every day and just wash it as often as you would normally.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Get some dry shampoo?

Surely there's only so much it can do when your hair is actually sweaty? :-/
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I don't wash my hair every day. Some mornings I simply condition it. Most styling products rinse out fairly adequately with warm water and a little conditioner. Those days, I usually have big curly hair. Easier to style.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    I have short hair(well, it falls to my shoulders) and wash it everyday, whether I exercise or not. I guess it is an individual thing. If you can't stand how it feels or looks, wash it.
  • My hair is very dry and I try to wash it every other day..but lately with how sweaty it's getting with workouts I wash every day
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    I wash my hair everyday but my scalp also gets oily daily. After workouts i wash it & use deep conditioning on the ends.
  • I wash mine every day; have since I was 14!

You just have to be careful with which shampoo/conditioner you use. Make sure that whatever you use is designed to be used daily. I do all the naughty things, like colour, blow dry, straighening irons... but my hair is still really healthy. Perhaps I'm just lucky!

If I just rinse, somehow my hair ends up MEGA greasy - worse than if I do nothing. Not sure what that's all about.
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    I have ultra-sensitive skin & dermatitis so I use soap-free, chemical free shampoo.
    (According to people at the health food store and hair dressers) Apparantly that's fine to use everyday.
    I wash my hair pretty much everyday because it gets dirty easily, especially when I work-out. You can buy it from health food stores, the pharmacy & some hair dressers.
    If its sweaty, dry-shampoo doesn't really help me.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    I try to wash only every other day. On days I don't wash, I usually wet it in the shower, but don't use shampoo. My hair does not get very oily, so it never really bothers me not to wash every day.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    I have really curly hair, and I can't wash it every day - it would destroy my hair. I use Jonathan Green Rootine dry shampoo in between washings.
  • littlemeowmaid
    littlemeowmaid Posts: 114 Member
    If I just rinse, somehow my hair ends up MEGA greasy - worse than if I do nothing. Not sure what that's all about.

Mine too!
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    I feel your pain! I shampoo every other day, as a rule of thumb. If it starts feeling too greasy, try doing it every day but only using a small amount. Find what your hair agrees with. And don't overcondition or it will weigh your hair down with buildup and make it look greasy.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    I've had alot of unwanted advice about my hair, and I have never followed it. For the last eight years, I have washed my hair twice a day(morning shower and bedtime shower), I shampoo it in the morning and condition it in the evening, I use tresemme, my hair is strong and shiny, never had any problems with it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I wash mine every day - sometimes twice a day.

I typically shower every morning before work, and if I have a late workout, I shower after that too. When that happens, I let my hair dry naturally and then just wet it and blowdry to style the next morning.

I color my hair and use a flat iron almost daily and it's perfectly healthy. I try to condition it well and use gentle shampoos.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    asian people wash their hair every day. for me it's every 2 or 3 days, depends. takes too much time and hair gets damaged in summer when i actually have to wash it every day
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    I wash it every day. It is just as much a part of my shower as washing the rest of me. I never blow dry my hair.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    My hair is down about the middle of my back, maybe a bit more. I wash it every single day. I also use a leave in Keratin Serum after Ive washed and conditioned it. I do use an Instyler 5 mornings a week to smooth it. My hair is very thick but extremely silky fine. I cant use most hair clips , tie backs, barrettes, ponytail holders etc........they wont stay in, they simply slide out. I also cant use a curling iron or hot rollers...my hair wont take the curl any longer than it takes me to do it. ~sigh~

I cant imagine not washing it every day to be honest. I just wouldnt feel clean.