I think I'm too fat to run right now.....

Options
124»

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in August. I was just over 300 lbs. I take it slow. S-L-O-W! I only do a "week" of the program per month so Dec is week 5 for me. And I jog very slow. Let your body adjust. Speed will come later. You might be trying to go too fast or too hard. Keep at it! I'm going to do a 5k in May 2013 and I want to run the whole thing. I did a practice 5k this saturday and I was pleased I jogged about 75% of it, when starting I had fully expected to walk more than run. I am so proud! I feel very prepared for May if I can wait that long. I have definitely gotten hooked! And I don't care if I'm slow. I did the 5k in 54:30 and I prolly coulda walked it in that time if I kept a 3.5 mph pace. But I did it and thats all that coun ts! And I'm still a big girl at 278 lbs.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Okay.. so I haven't ready everyone elses response, nor have I checked out your profile. But here is something I will say. I used to run as well, I was in the navy and had to run and could run on a treadmill while the ship was tossing around. Well, life happened now I weigh 100 lbs more then I did then and am out of shape badly. I have done a 5K recently, with all the training and stuff. And you know, there is something disconcernting about coming in last after all the walkers...so I understand the thought process...

But its not about the fast or slow or the weight. As you run your body does things. It moves things through your system, it works your muscles, mentally it relaxs your brain... so many things that make you feel good when youre done.. including that after you get all sweaty shower complete with fru fru soap or body wash to make you feel good again.

So no matter how fast or slow, as long as its proper form and not hurting anything run away.. thats my opinion.

And might i also add, you said you got new shoes, were they properly fitted? with the right supports? and utilize a massage therapist and chiropractor. when bones are out of alignment it aggravates muscles which then is enhanced by ruining... those are two very very important people for anyone who works out.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I did go to running shoe store and they fit me in these ASIC gels. I do wonder if it isn't more of a hip/back alignment issue. I can't ever sit for too long as my hips will hurt then too. I have been walking and I'm going to keep increasing my miles for the month of Dec and maybe try running again in Jan. I do run on treadmill as I too have planters fasciitis so no pavement for me. I know... I keep thinking of biggest loser people and it's crazy that I can't do what they do! I'm close to 200 pounds which is half their size!!! I may have to think about chiropractor if it keeps up.... Like I said, walking, no problems so far.....

I am at 193 as of this morning and I am running with a tilted back, degenerative disk disease and herniated disk. You have to make the decision to work through some of the pain. It will get better and easier. I would check with a chiropractor and your regular doctor to make sure there aren't other issues