I got told 1200 calories is too low??????

Options
I am so confused, I really thought the less amount of calories you ate, the more weight you would lose? If I am eating 'too low' calories, why shouldnt I just go and eat KFC every week like I used to?

Please explain :)

Thanks

Replies

• wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't the sole source of your net weight gain, it's much more complicated than that.

Eat too many calories = You will likely gain weight
    Eat too few calories = Your body will slow your metabolism in an effort to "survive"

What you eat is MUCH more important than your total calories.

Also, your insulin resistance and sugar levels play a large role in what you burn and what you store. There's much to learn :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It is calories in/calories out. But it's also about finding the right number of calories. If you drop them too low you won't get essential nutrients and yes, if you do that a long time when you don't have much weight to lose it will slow your metabolism (you would still lose, just not as easily).

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also I disagree that it's all about what you eat. It is better for you to eat healthier foods, but for weight loss it is just about calories.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Don't know your height nor weight, but I am guessing 1200 is well below your BMR.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you have to burn more than you consume. But that also doesn't mean when you work out you have to burn off 1500 or so calories. That's including the calories you burn naturally just by going through the day. The calories I burn without exercise is around 2100 a day or so. So as long as I can keep my calories under that I will lose or maintain. If I go over, then I will gain.

1200 is the net calories you should consume in a day. Meaning that is the minimum amount your body needs in order not to go into starvation mode. Once in awhile you may find throughout the day you will eat less than 1200 but as long as you don't do that everyday then you are fine.

There is also a thing called zig zagging calories. That's where you consume a different amount of calories a day. But I wouldn't really suggest that. As long as you keep your net calories at 1200 you should be fine!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Fast weight loss =/= best weight loss. In most cases it is not very sustainable or all that healthy.
  • misspancakes
    misspancakes Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can happily live off 1200 calories a day - but I just re did my BMR and all that and it said to eat 2166 calories in order to maintain my current weight.

1200 calories is plenty for me as I exercise every day and usually eat back my calories.
  • jhassan1980
    jhassan1980 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories for about a month and then stalled out and noticed I was starving after work every day and losing control. Now that I am eating more I am seeing results again.
  • hoop0054
    Options
    Hi Pancakes
    It depends on who you ask. Before I answer this, I should point out that I'm qualified to do so, however the following does not in any way constitute medical advice, nor does it serve as a substitute for advice from a medical doctor, nurse or dietician. Instead it is general advice aimed at a dieting population.

The conventional wisdom for many decades has been that calories in vs calories out = weight loss. However it seems our bodies are naturally far smarter than this. During times of abundance, our basal metabolic rate increases, whereas during times of scarcity, all non essential functions cease and our basal metabolic rate drops quite dramatically to around 6-800 calories per day. This is the premise behind 'starvation mode' - this is analogous to having a V8 engine when the tank is full and a Toyota Prius when the tank is empty.

As a result, for many decades the advice has been that people should lose weigh slowly and steadily with modest caloric restriction. However this doctrine has been challenged recently for two reasons 1-) there are relatively poor results with all approaches (I don't have figures to hand, but I believe there's about a 15% short term successful short weight loss and 5% long term-please correct me if I'm wrong) and 2-) because there's not good evidence to say that rapid weight loss with vigorous caloric restriction is disadvantageous (that is to say harsh caloric restriction is no worse long term than modest restriction). International guidelines are evolving slowly to reflect this. So like any decision in life there are risks and benefits and no decision can be made for you. The prudent thing to do is seek the counsel of an expert(s), read widely and choose wisely. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What?
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    It is calories in/calories out. But it's also about finding the right number of calories. If you drop them too low you won't get essential nutrients and yes, if you do that a long time when you don't have much weight to lose it will slow your metabolism (you would still lose, just not as easily).

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also I disagree that it's all about what you eat. It is better for you to eat healthier foods, but for weight loss it is just about calories.

Great read! and because someone gave me that link... I upped my calories a couple days ago..
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you have to burn more than you consume. But that also doesn't mean when you work out you have to burn off 1500 or so calories. That's including the calories you burn naturally just by going through the day. The calories I burn without exercise is around 2100 a day or so. So as long as I can keep my calories under that I will lose or maintain. If I go over, then I will gain.

1200 is the net calories you should consume in a day. Meaning that is the minimum amount your body needs in order not to go into starvation mode. Once in awhile you may find throughout the day you will eat less than 1200 but as long as you don't do that everyday then you are fine.

There is also a thing called zig zagging calories. That's where you consume a different amount of calories a day. But I wouldn't really suggest that. As long as you keep your net calories at 1200 you should be fine!

What is wrong with zig-zagging? That's how I lost all my weight. I ate less on the week days with more on the weekends. Not only did it keep my metabolism up, but it also made my plan very livable.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hi Pancakes
    It depends on who you ask. Before I answer this, I should point out that I'm qualified to do so, however the following does not in any way constitute medical advice, nor does it serve as a substitute for advice from a medical doctor, nurse or dietician. Instead it is general advice aimed at a dieting population.

The conventional wisdom for many decades has been that calories in vs calories out = weight loss. However it seems our bodies are naturally far smarter than this. During times of abundance, our basal metabolic rate increases, whereas during times of scarcity, all non essential functions cease and our basal metabolic rate drops quite dramatically to around 6-800 calories per day. This is the premise behind 'starvation mode' - this is analogous to having a V8 engine when the tank is full and a Toyota Prius when the tank is empty.

As a result, for many decades the advice has been that people should lose weigh slowly and steadily with modest caloric restriction. However this doctrine has been challenged recently for two reasons 1-) there are relatively poor results with all approaches (I don't have figures to hand, but I believe there's about a 15% short term successful short weight loss and 5% long term-please correct me if I'm wrong) and 2-) because there's not good evidence to say that rapid weight loss with vigorous caloric restriction is disadvantageous (that is to say harsh caloric restriction is no worse long term than modest restriction). International guidelines are evolving slowly to reflect this. So like any decision in life there are risks and benefits and no decision can be made for you. The prudent thing to do is seek the counsel of an expert(s), read widely and choose wisely. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!
    Interesting first post. You claim to be qualified yet offer no credentials. You suggest advice that is contrary to what most on this site would suggest. You make vague mention of international guidelines yet offer no source of your information.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

for realz.

i can't believe we actually have to tell people to eat. i thought evolution worked that concept out for us? :laugh:

anyway, OP, you're (i assume) a grown woman. eat as many calories as you want or dont want. who cares if someone else says it's too low or too high, it's your body after all
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

What is wrong with zig-zagging? That's how I lost all my weight. I ate less on the week days with more on the weekends. Not only did it keep my metabolism up, but it also made my plan very livable.

Your metabolism isn't going to crash until you get to very low levels of body fat or if you are cutting to may calories. Zig zagging is fine, but the reality is it makes little difference. It worked for you so great. It is still about calories in calories out. Just because you choose to eat more on the weekends doesn't make it better. It just worked for you because overall you cut X number of calories. You consumed less, you lost weight. You could fast for 3 days then eat for 4 days and if you came to the same number of calories you would basically loose the same amount of weight. Or you could eat 6 times a day 7 days a week, consume the same number of calories and get the same results.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can happily live off 1200 calories a day - but I just re did my BMR and all that and it said to eat 2166 calories in order to maintain my current weight.

1200 calories is plenty for me as I exercise every day and usually eat back my calories.

This is me as well. My TDEE is 2920 and I net 1200 most days and have been losing steadily for months and am never hungry. How many calories to eat is a trial and error thing each person needs to figure out on their own. If things are going well, don't eat more just because someone told you to. Listen to your body and eat more if you're truly hungry.
  • misspancakes
    misspancakes Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

Yeah mate - first world problems.

Bored much - how about you don't even bother replying unless you have something constructive so say - douche bag
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    try to eat without thinking too much for a day as if you didn't plan to maintain/lose/gain weight and log all your food on that day and see how much the total number is. maybe you didn't eat what you like, maybe you were too strict about what you ate, maybe your mindset told you that you ate enough, etc. because I did that recently, I thought 1200 was too much because I restricted what I ate (not the amount), but yesterday I ate without thinking I was on diet (aka I broke my diet lol) and I reached 1200 on the breakfast alone and 1900 at the end of the day :b but 80% of the calories come from junk and processed food. I didn't realize it was that much.

so my suggestion try it first and after you know the total calories, you can eat what you really like in moderation and add more healthy food, but don't be too strict like 'no sugar, no junk food, no this, no that, etc'. I don't think people can reach 2000 without involving some food people deem unhealthy. at least for me.

if you think you're not strict and the total number is still below 2166, maybe that's your real number, TDEE only estimates right?
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    #firstworldproblems

It seems like maybe you have a first world problem with other people expressing a desire to improve their lifestyle. Just because people in third world countries are starving, that doesn't mean that people in a first world country can't try to improve their lifestyle. After all, it seems you are on MFP criticizing others and not out saving the world. Hypocritical much?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

When you eat back you should be hitting around -20% TDEE.
    If its lower you may want to up your calories just for lean body mass sake.

So if TDEE is 2166 then -20%= 2166-433=1733.
    Or
    Just eat 1733 every day regardless of your activity and youll lose fat.

This is in the Road Map BTW.