It seems sugar is in everything!!!

Options
Hello, I am curious how everyone does it? How do you keep your daily sugar limit in the right amounts? Mine is always over in the amount mfp allots me. If I drink 2 glasses of milk, I've already almost met my daily goal. I do love breads, pasta, and cereals, but even if I limit them I go over because I had milk and fruit. So, how do you do it? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I had this for breakfast.

strip-house.jpg
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between the types of sugar. It's the refined stuff and the high fructose death syrup you have to watch out for. There's nothing wrong with the sugars in fruits.

I just stopped tracking sugar altogether on here. Just avoid the bad types of sugar and you'll be fine.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What does it matter? Sugar is a carbohydrate. For weight loss, you could eat your entire diet of sugar. You'd probably get sick, but you'd lose weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Man 3 sugar threads in less than 30 minutes......... lol

Copy/Paste....

Never tracked a single gram of sugar over the last 41 months and have managed to drop a few pounds.... Concentrate on your calorie intake and your main macros (Protein, Fat, and Carbs) and let the rest fall in line. I still put 2 scoops of Domino Pure cane sugar in my coffee every morning for breakfast.....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    What does it matter? Sugar is a carbohydrate. For weight loss, you could eat your entire diet of sugar. You'd probably get sick, but you'd lose weight.
    Then you would die. lol
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother looking at my sugar anymore lol. Seriously, I would eat one apple and a piece of bread and it would already be over! I mean sure, it's important to watch your sugar intake but I think the sugar limit on here is kind of extreme. Today I didn't eat any fruit, I only drank water, and the only starch I had was 1 whole wheat tortilla and I STILL went over! lol Don't worry about it too much. I haven't had a problem losing weight and I go over the sugar limit everyday lol.
  • lvtruu1
    Options
    It would take a very long time to die from eating sugar solely. You'd be surprised at how well your body would adapt to it. But that wasn't my point anyway. My point was sugar consumption matter little. This site gives you a calorie goal or if you know what you are doing you reset the goals because the ones the program uses aren't remotely correct, stick to that goal and lose weight if you did it correctly. Eating 100g or 200g a day of sugar won't make you sick. It isn't important to track separately from other carbs. (yes I know other carbs are far better for you)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of liver, tongue and brain. That'll help you get your sugar intake down.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options

strip-house.jpg

LICK!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont think mfp is accurate. From memory australian guidelines is to eat 2 pieces of fruit daily..not too much more. But u should still eat at least 2 fruit ie. 1 cup. I try to buy unprocessed stuff with less sugar and salt. im sure my dentist will be happy.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

strip-house.jpg

Marry me!! <3 ;=)
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    As I am a self-realized sugar addict, I have to watch my sugar calories. I watch the numbers that MFP sets out but I take a look to see where the grams are coming from. Sugars in fruits and veges I don't stress over. The ones from starches and carbs are the ones I consider and work to reduce. For example, I eat sandwiches open faced--reducing one bread serving and some sugar. I watch white potatoes, which is real hard as I come from a meat and potato family. I cut my starch servings down to half and add lots of leafy greens. I have eliminated soft drinks except on very special occasions. I drink tea sweetened with less than a 1/2 cup sugar per gallon. Finally--candy, ice cream, gooey chocolate deserts, which I LOVE, are all very, very limited. I don't totally deprive myself. Everyday is not a good sugar day but I keep on trying. I find that even a little sugar, minus my tea, can kick me into a sugar craving that is really hard for me to beat and I will eat the house down. Sugar addiction is a very real problem for many people.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    Brains? Tongue? Liver? We don't eat much of this stuff in my region of the US. I wouldn't even know how to begin doing this.
  • lvtruu1
    Options
    If sugar is a problem then I guess focusing on it might be okay. But fruit sugar isn't the same as table sugar, so without the ability to separate the two it seems pointless. You have a caloric goal that you cannot miss on this site. How you get to those calories makes little difference in the short term. The simplest way to avoid sugars is to remove them from your house. Get a garbage bad and throw that #%$# out and don't buy it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    That is why I turned off the sugar macro on my food journal. I started tracking sodium instead, and discovered that my sodium intake was way, way over anything that resembled healthy eating.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I ignore what it says about sugars because it confounds added and natural sugars and complex and processed carbs.

I am CAREFUL about too much natural sugar, of course - one fruit a day, it's rare I go above 8 oz of juice every few days - but don't obsess. I simply very rarely eat anything with added sugar.

Works fine for me.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I always go over my sugar limit so fast on here. Just don't pay attention to the sugar amount that mfp adds up, since so many foods have natural sugars that aren't bad for you. Just don't eat foods that have added sugars and you'll be good! :)
  • swisswife
    swisswife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We lived in the US for nearly 2 years and I was surprised at how much sweeter a lot of processed foods were.
    Tomato sauce was esp sweet and so I started to make my own and stopped eating anything with proceessed tomato sauce, pizza etc.
    I also made my own bread because again thats was sweeter than we are used to. I didn't really look into if it was 'sugar' or 'corn syrup' or anything else we just noticed instantly from the taste....

So maybe making your own bread could help to cut down sugars if they are a problem ?? certainly reading all the labels and trying to make different choices in the supermarket will help.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the sugar recommendation on MFP is crazy low. two pieces of fruit and you're over.

i wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. don't track it.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I feel that way about sodium....it's everywhere!!!!!