What is your favorite place to visit?

Options

Replies

• bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from, but coming from one American's perspective.

I loved San Francisco! Everything about it.

And I was talked into an Alaskan Cruise (I've always preferred my cruises to be warm and sunny) and was surprised at how much I loved it. Chicago is always fun ('though I'd suggest NOT in the dead of winter, as I always have although the Christkindle - sp? - market is awesome :)

Vienna was gorgeous with so much history. I need more time there. We only went for an extended weekend, for my 30th birthday. Luckily one of my good friends lived there, so she was a great tour guide -- she has her whole thing planned out for when people come visit her for the first time, so she's a pro ;) Also, it will make it easier to get back.

Amsterdam was cool. From the little bit I've seen -- beautiful and so much history.......a bit of culture shock compared to what I'm used to in the US, but hey if it's legal for them then whatever, right? lol Definitely not enough time. We had the option of a layover in either Paris or Amsterdam on the way to and from Vienna, and as we have a friend from Amsterdam and a friend from Rotterdam we opted for Amsterdam and the longest layover available! It was unfortunately only 20 hours, and we stayed with our friends in Amsterdam over night and our friend from Rotterdam took the train up so all of us grabbed a bite to eat, and walked through a bit of the city. Finally, we did have to get some sleep for our early flight back home, but it was awesome to be able to sneak out of the airport during the layover and see our friends and get a small taste of a great city :)

Hawaii (cruise) was awesome. Beautiful. Interesting to go from one type of climate to another within a 15 minute drive. So much history, gorgeous beaches, the volcanos, the tsunami (something) center, shopping.

Eastern Caribbean (cruise) was good, but not as amazing as I had anticipated. San Juan was great -- especially old San Juan, but otherwise it seemed kind of dirty :(

Mexico (cruise......Manzanillo, Ensenada, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta) would've been a BLAST if it weren't for the fact that it was colder than normal for them (we went November 2011) and also we had a relative back home who died when we were gone. But it was beautiful, and we did lots of fun stuff like spend a day at a gorgeous beach, zipline, and swim with the dolphins. We're doing an all-inclusive resort (Ixtapa club med) next November and I'm excited to experience Mexico without the crappy circumstances!

The Western Mediterranean cruise was amazing too. Just....breathtaking. Tunis was kind of cool with history and beautiful views, but the people were pretty pushy. Barcelona.....gorgeous, shopping, architecture, food, friendly people. France......beautiful. Good food and wine. We were in smaller towns. Nice people in general, but not as outgoingly friendly and welcoming to US people (not that I can blame other countries with the way I saw some -- not all -- Americans acting). Italy......I love wine. I love food. I love wine. We spent a lot of time in Rome (ZOMG, I WANNA GO BACK!! Even though we were there for like, 5 or 6 full days -- it was the port we sailed into and out of so we spent extra time there -- it was NOT enough time! Love, love, LOVED Rome!)

Edit to add: Yes, Vegas is fun! No sleep, and very busy! But when you're in the mood for that it's a great place :) Shows, gambling, drinking....
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Kathmandu, Nepal

Busy, exotic, friendly, a little bit crazy, colourful, inexpensive, fun to explore, and some very good friends live there so we have the locals edge on knowing where good restaurants and interesting places are.

I'm planning on going for another visit next winter. :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    San Francisco is an awesome place. Visit wine country this past spring and had a great time!!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a travel group on MFP?
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can't venture too far from home but i love Maine. New Hampshire and Vermont are also great. D.C. is fun for a day. New Port, RI is beautiful! I try to go every year. Cape Cod is really nice too.
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Always wanted to visit Rhode Island and checkout the Tennis Hall of Fame!!!
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    can't say i've ever been. i hope you go though
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I just want to Thank Everyone for sharing your travel experiences.

Herb
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to travel.

Favorite place so far? Outback Australia. Can't afford to get back there though.

Going back to St Maarten this summer. It's a wonderful place.

My preferred travel method is cruise ship. Going to St Maarten on the largest boat in the world!

JM
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    San Francisco is an awesome place. Visit wine country this past spring and had a great time!!

Next time you go, check out the wineries in the Santa Cruz/Soquel area! Great wine, beautiful scenery and great beaches. Beautiful drive, too.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Go to Vegas. It's so much fun and I'm not even a gambler.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have been to 13 countries and over 100 citites! Ask me anything! :)

Go to Thailand! Magical!

Or China!

Or Paris!

Right now on #1 place to visit on my bucket list is:

Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.

Making this happen in 2013!

tumblr_mcr0xkt4Y51qdn3w3o2_500.jpg
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd really love to go to Rome.

Places I've traveled to and loved are Ireland (actually Dublin was my least favorite place, personally I think the south-west is the most beautiful, especially if you like travelling in nature), Germany (I've been to Berlin, Cologne and Hamburg and loved them - Berlin and Cologne I think were the best).

I live in Jerusalem and I think it's a really fun and interesting place for tourists.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Whistler, BC, Canada during the summer, do some downhill mountain biking and then hit the bars....Lots of Australian girls!!!
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Go to Vegas. It's so much fun and I'm not even a gambler.

There is so much stuff to do/see, the resorts are entertainment to just walk through!

JM
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    My toilet, with a good book.
  • majowie
    majowie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hooo i totally loves Paris ! The catacombes, la tour eiffel and everything, that's magic =) And Australia could be a ggod idea too even though i never been there ! :P
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    St Augustine Florida. Oldest city in the US, slower pace city to visit instead of the hustle of Orlando.
  • rambo831
    Options
    Monterey, California
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Looking to travel to a foreign country in Spring 2013. Hoping to take a 10-14 day trip.

I am really interested in visiting Italy, Prague, Thailand or Greece.

Love watching the travel channel and Anthony Bourdain shows.

Herb