Trainer says to workout... Less?!

Options
I'm at a healthy weight for my height, but have been wanting to lose 10lbs & tone up my softer areas (Upper arms, core, love handles). I was going to 3-4 workout classes a week (Crossfit style weights & cardio) and on my off days, I'd go on the recumbent bike at a somewhat challenging program for 1 hour -or- running 30mins on the treadmill. Of course there'd be 1 day in the week where I did nothing.

My trainer said to build muscle & help fry those last 10lbs, I should use heavier weights with less reps and do NOTHING on my rest days. He said if I wanted to, I could do light cardio like walking or an exercise bike with little resistance but said it wasn't necessary. I understand muscle needs time to rebuild itself, but no cardio? At all? I get some in the gym classes but I wonder if my body will put on fat since it's expending less energy? I've been using heavier weights but not feeling sore the next day or like my workout has gotten harder :/

I've always been a bit unsure about the burning fat vs. building muscle, and the ability to do both at once considering one requires less calories & one requires more. Some say you can, some people say no. Just speaking out my thoughts...

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this myself. BUMP!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you are doing work then you probably aren't going heavy enough.

I think your trainer just didn't want you to do so much cardio that you negated your strength training.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you are doing work then you probably aren't going heavy enough.

I think your trainer just didn't want you to do so much cardio that you negated your strength training.

Truth.

If you're going heavy enough you will hurt for days after
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'd listen to the trainer thats what you pay him for! (I also heard Jilliam Michaels on a podcast give this advice to a woman in a similar situation if that helps)

Maybe give it a try for 2 weeks and see how it goes
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    exclusive cardio is completely unnecessary unless you're training for a specific event or sport.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    Most of the time people don't realize that they are actually overtraining. If you're doing 1 hour of cardio on off days, AND doing classes etc, then you're definitely overtraining.

I wouldn't say do nothing, but maybe 20 minutes of light exercise, or 1-2 days of HIIT exercise (30 second sprint, 30 second recovery, 5 sets of this).

I'm unsure of how effective Crossfit is, but I will say that a lot of women refuse to lift weights because they're afraid that they'll "get manly". Do not think this! It's entirely untrue!

I would work on form, form is of utmost importance. Go as heavy as you can go with proper form!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Truth.

Are you sure about that? After lifting for a while, you won't really be sore after working out even if you're going heavier each time. Even on a day where I worked on 1RM of deadlifts, squats, and oh press I was only sore a few hours after.

Edit: about the overtraining part, I'd worry more about how you feel. If you're feeling tired on your easy days then you're probably doing too much. If you feel up for it then its fine to work out. People playing sports train for around 2hrs a day with maybe one easy day or rest day a week and manage to not overtrain.

That's how my soccer practices ran at least. We were also in the weight room a couple times a week in addition to all that "cardio" we were doing.
  • soliddreams
    Options
    I've read a lot that said that straight cardio (running on a treadmill, etc) is actually really bad for you if you want to "lose weight", it has a catabolic effect and will cause the things you're worried about (things not being firm).

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/

There's the article referring to it. This is why most bodybuilders do moderate intensity cardio (you can still have a conversation, but it's a little hard to breathe), or HIIT, or some variant.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot that said that straight cardio (running on a treadmill, etc) is actually really bad for you if you want to "lose weight", it has a catabolic effect and will cause the things you're worried about (things not being firm).

There's the article referring to it. This is why most bodybuilders do moderate intensity cardio (you can still have a conversation, but it's a little hard to breathe), or HIIT, or some variant.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I cut down by about 25% on my cardio and began to lift heavier, but vary my routines every 4-8 weeks depending on how my body is responding and feeling. I did not lose scale weigh but went quickly, from a size 10 to a size 6.. Listen to your trainer, it sounds like he or she knows what they're doing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

And here's the summary of a multi-part series from a respected trainer/author, in which he sums up his findings on the subject:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html

He provides links to the supporting articles/study reviews to back his conclusions. Good reading.
  • ouija86
    Options

Truth.

Are you sure about that? After lifting for a while, you won't really be sore after working out even if you're going heavier each time. Even on a day where I worked on 1RM of deadlifts, squats, and oh press I was only sore a few hours after

Let me repeat, if you are truly going as heavy as you can, you will hurt for days. I'm not talking lifting "heavy" 3-6 reps, I'm not talking about hitting your PR and calling it a day. I'm talking about balls to the walls do or die lifting. Fainting after a set and puking in the parking lot hard. No matter how long you've been training, if you go that hard, you will hurt, I promise. If you've never gone that far (or don't care too) I can't describe how amazing it is.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go as heavy as I can while being able to finish the reps (Trainer gives anywhere from 9-21). In some cases I had to put the weight down and rest for 5 seconds during the set. My body is accustomed to lifting weights but I always chose ones I knew I could finish ALL the reps with but now I'm picking ones I might fall down while lifting lol.

Normally we don't do squats/lunges with weights at class (We do lots of reps, or jumping squats/lunges). But on Friday I opted to do squats with a 45lbs bar on my shoulders while wearing a 45lbs weighted vest (I'm 5'7", 138lbs girl by the way). The 55lbs bar felt like I might not be able to get back up once I squat down! When we did push press, power cleans, thrusters & bent-over row, I used the 35lbs bar because I was unable to throw up the 45lbs bar at the start.

All this, and the only part of me that was sore the next day were some lower back muscles. It's possible I'm strong from the other conditioning I've done but I'm afraid to go so heavy that I have bad form & hurt myself.
    One week another trainer gave me a 45lbs bar to do power cleans & I hit myself in the chin because my body was jerking so hard just to lift it up... Form lost...
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That's more like circuit training than real strength training.

Try heavier weight for fewer reps, not a crossfit type workout.
  • ouija86
    Options

This
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I overtrained & almost lost everything I worked for. I am an exercise addict, I will admit, however I learned to cut back & now I'm seeing better results with less work, honestly. I used to workout 6 days a week, 2-3 hours a day, mixing between cardio, strength, stretching. I started to look great then lost it by going overboard. I HAD to scale it back earlier this year when I destroyed my foot for the second time in 4 months while working out (rolled it & it snap,crackle, popped like a bowl of rice crispies!).

Since I revamped my workouts, I'm seeing better definition than EVER, and some days I lift VERY heavy (to the point I'm not sure if I'll be able to shift my gears or work my clutch to get home) and sometimes I got light weight high rep & other I just skip & do nothing.

Varying intensity is key - always keep your body guessing & it will work harder for the results.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    I'm trying to go as heavy as I can while being able to finish the reps (Trainer gives anywhere from 9-21). In some cases I had to put the weight down and rest for 5 seconds during the set. My body is accustomed to lifting weights but I always chose ones I knew I could finish ALL the reps with but now I'm picking ones I might fall down while lifting lol.

Normally we don't do squats/lunges with weights at class (We do lots of reps, or jumping squats/lunges). But on Friday I opted to do squats with a 45lbs bar on my shoulders while wearing a 45lbs weighted vest (I'm 5'7", 138lbs girl by the way). The 55lbs bar felt like I might not be able to get back up once I squat down! When we did push press, power cleans, thrusters & bent-over row, I used the 35lbs bar because I was unable to throw up the 45lbs bar at the start.

All this, and the only part of me that was sore the next day were some lower back muscles. It's possible I'm strong from the other conditioning I've done but I'm afraid to go so heavy that I have bad form & hurt myself.
    One week another trainer gave me a 45lbs bar to do power cleans & I hit myself in the chin because my body was jerking so hard just to lift it up... Form lost...

21 reps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, do very heavy weights, 5 sets by 5 reps for compound movements and 3x8 for iso and u r good to go, OMG 21 REPS i cant believe it
  • victoria4321
    Options

I weight less than the op and I squat 225 in my crossfit workout :huh:

Anyway, to OP, fire your trainer.
  • victoria4321
    Options

If you weren't using such a light weight for the power cleans you probably wouldn't have hit your chin...
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    If your trainer is affiliated with cross fit, that doesn't surprise me. That's part of their deal - work out less and harder and get better results - and I get the appeal, but I think it's overstated and overhyped and most people don't work out enough to start thinking about scaling back their workouts. I had a bootcamp trainer tell me the same thing- that I'm overtraining blah blah blah... yet I'm in much betting shape than him or anyone else in his bootcamp, so why would I take that advice?