Trainer says to workout... Less?!

Options

Replies

• Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

If you weren't using such a light weight for the power cleans you probably wouldn't have hit your chin...

Look at the cute kitty in pink in the profile pic & then she says this ^^ lol!

She may be right though: it also sounds like you may not have a "regular" trainer, and switch between whomever may be at the gym? Each trainer has their own agenda in mind as to what its right, what works & what you need. Get one trainer or just go it alone & learn what you can/can't do - push limits & then change it up & push harder.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you are doing work then you probably aren't going heavy enough.

I think your trainer just didn't want you to do so much cardio that you negated your strength training.

Truth.

If you're going heavy enough you will hurt for days after

This is simply not true. DOMS is not a good (or even decent) indicator of workout effectiveness. Many people do not "hurt for days after" a workout regardless of workout intensity.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    When I was working out 4-5 hrs a day/6 days a wk my trainer said she didn't want me to over-train. I cut back to 3 hrs a day/5 days a wk and lost 6 lbs right away. I had kinda stalled on weightloss for a few weeks so it was a welcome change! Shes having me lift more, run more, push myself harder (but doing less on say, the elliptical and other cardio that isn't pushing me.) I dont know if that makes much sense.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like you are doing work then you probably aren't going heavy enough.

I think your trainer just didn't want you to do so much cardio that you negated your strength training.

Truth.

This is simply not true. DOMS is not a good (or even decent) indicator of workout effectiveness. Many people do not "hurt for days after" a workout regardless of workout intensity.

True story. I'm only sore when I do something new or something I haven't done in a while.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i think that your trainer is right, that you should cut down on cardio, and lift more. i think you are at the point where you probably want to start dropping body fat, rather then those last 10 lbs.

make your own plan!!

maybe following 5x5 or 5/3/1 strength training plan for 3-4 work outs a week, and you can do your crossfit/complexs after those days, and other days you can do cardio. i wouldn't cut out running and cardio if you truly enjoy it.

strstd.com
  • victoria4321
    Options

strstd.com

Where was this when I was doing 5/3/1?!?!

Def book marking this, thanks :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ditch the 21 rep stuff and go with a heavier load and less reps (4-6) Incorporate deadlifts, squats, pull-ups/chins, weighed chins, front squats, overhead press, etc and you will be on your way. I work out five days a week about an hour to hour and a half ...has been working well for me as I have put on muscle and been adding weight and reps to my work outs..

just my two cents...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    To have muscle means to be burning calories. To build muscle means you have to work hard and respect your rest days. Very difficult to ask your body to do both. Give it time, test, and see how it works. If you see results, continue. If you do not, change the program. It's a matter of time and patience. Prove to yourself what works, don't take anyone else's word for it by heart.

You are your own canvas.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started a thread on this recently. The majority who posted said they lift and dont really do any cardio at all.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I'm not in an actual Crossfit class, but I said "crossfit style" because the trainers took a Crossfit workshop/certification program and incorporated SOME aspects (We don't do that weird snakey pull-up thing, for example). Lately we've been doing regular weight training with some explosive exercises, but yes... My trainer said while everyone else does tons of reps, he said I can do less reps with more weight. as for the other person being lighter than me and squatting 225lbs, that's great! I just started squatting with weight last week so I'm new... Today we were given 8-12 reps with heavy weights. Planks are easy for me so the trainer put me on 2 medicine balls with a plate on my back. IMG_1647.jpgIMG_1644.jpgIMG_1642.jpg
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Cool picks! That plank is awesome!
  • victoria4321
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I'm not in an actual Crossfit class, but I said "crossfit style" because the trainers took a Crossfit workshop/certification program and incorporated SOME aspects (We don't do that weird snakey pull-up thing, for example). Lately we've been doing regular weight training with some explosive exercises, but yes... My trainer said while everyone else does tons of reps, he said I can do less reps with more weight. as for the other person being lighter than me and squatting 225lbs, that's great! I just started squatting with weight last week so I'm new... Today we were given 8-12 reps with heavy weights. Planks are easy for me so the trainer put me on 2 medicine balls with a plate on my back.
    Why wouldn't you just go to a real crossfit box instead of a trainer who just took a one day class and wasn't good enough to start his own place?

It sounds like your trainer is making you do a lot to waste your time and keep coming back for more sessions. If planks are so easy for you why don't you do them with your arms extended or with one arm. Or all together not even do planks at the gym but instead do them on your own when watching tv. Save the gym for stuff you actually need to be doing in a gym and get your moneys worth.

Oh yeah and you're bending forward too much for the high bar squat that you're doing
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in response to your pictures, well... if planks are easy for you, then you should be doing them with a medicine ball... but with your hands on a medicine ball. not your feet. and your arms should be fully extended to make the blank harder.

and your squat looks like you have your feet way to spread apart. they should be just a little wider then shoulder width.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    sounds like sound advice to me, unless you are eating at a surplus the cardio that you are doing is probably going to prevent muscle building. If you want to keep working out so hard, I'd eat back those calories that you burn in cardio.. or do less and focus more on heavy weights.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

My trainer said to build muscle & help fry those last 10lbs, I should use heavier weights with less reps and do NOTHING on my rest days. He said if I wanted to, I could do light cardio like walking or an exercise bike with little resistance but said it wasn't necessary. I understand muscle needs time to rebuild itself, but no cardio? At all? I get some in the gym classes but I wonder if my body will put on fat since it's expending less energy? I've been using heavier weights but not feeling sore the next day or like my workout has gotten harder :/

I didnt read all the posts but this trainer sounds like he knows his stuff. SRS

Edit:
    Then as soon as I read the other posts......I agree with Apollo, and others, that you need a "strength" training program. Higher weight lower reps on a schedule. Pick a premade one instead of making one up on your own.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm at a healthy weight for my height, but have been wanting to lose 10lbs & tone up my softer areas (Upper arms, core, love handles). I was going to 3-4 workout classes a week (Crossfit style weights & cardio) and on my off days, I'd go on the recumbent bike at a somewhat challenging program for 1 hour -or- running 30mins on the treadmill. Of course there'd be 1 day in the week where I did nothing.

My trainer said to build muscle & help fry those last 10lbs, I should use heavier weights with less reps and do NOTHING on my rest days. He said if I wanted to, I could do light cardio like walking or an exercise bike with little resistance but said it wasn't necessary. I understand muscle needs time to rebuild itself, but no cardio? At all? I get some in the gym classes but I wonder if my body will put on fat since it's expending less energy? I've been using heavier weights but not feeling sore the next day or like my workout has gotten harder :/

I've always been a bit unsure about the burning fat vs. building muscle, and the ability to do both at once considering one requires less calories & one requires more. Some say you can, some people say no. Just speaking out my thoughts...

This is exactly right!! Do what he says .. you'll be amazed at your results. Cardio is not your friend if you're working on the last 10 lbs and trying to lose inches. You need to lift heavy .. Where is Californiagirl?? She's an MFP-er and is amazing!!

Do what your trainer advises .. he/she does know what they are talking about .. now-a-days trainers have to be certified through college to train :flowerforyou:

You won't be sorry you followed his direction!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    He's been a personal trainer for years and is certified. The thing is he's not MY personal trainer, I just go to some classes he runs so his workouts aren't exactly tailored to my specific goals. And he's not using me for money because I don't even have to pay for his classes (I work as an assistant at the gym for the kids workouts so I get to workout free). I figure I'm better off with his guidance than my own since he has a lot more experience than I do at designing workouts.

My squat doesn't look great because the bar is heavy and causes me to go a little foreard than I'd like in the last few reps. And 2 trainers there told me I need to open my stance more & ensure my knees follow in the direction of my feet if I am to squat down far enough. I have very long legs in relation to my short body so I found it very stressful on my knees to go as low as they wanted with my feet only shoulder width apart.
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Truth.

If you lift heavy, you will break down your muscles. If your muscles break down, you will be sore. This is how building muscle works.

But your right, somebody who's gained 50lbs of muscle over the last 6 years staying in single digit body fat the entire time must know nothing about training. Many people don't hurt because many people aren't willing to go the extra mile (without over training).