Veggies and carbs - jaws dropped.

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why no one has said this yet, but FIBER IS A CARBOHYDRATE. That is why vegetables are high in carbohydrates (though carrots are also relatively high in sugar, which is why people make juice from them).

Short version: There are two kinds of carbohydrates, sugar and fiber. Fiber is good for you because it helps you feel fuller longer and it keeps you pooping on a regular schedule. When people suggest reducing carbohydrate intake, they mean reducing the other kind of carbohydrate, i.e. sugar. This can be done by eating fewer desserts and reducing portions of starchy foods, such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. (Science note: starches are basically just long chains of sugar.)

Carbohydrates of any kind are not inherently "bad." After all, your brain runs on carbohydrates. However, it is possible to eat a lot of sugar and starch before you feel full. I was in the same boat as you, where I had to reduce carbs in order to keep under my calorie goals. But that isn't stopping me from eating the occasional piece of cake. :)

The brain prefers to run on fat, not carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why no one has said this yet, but FIBER IS A CARBOHYDRATE. That is why vegetables are high in carbohydrates (though carrots are also relatively high in sugar, which is why people make juice from them).

Short version: There are two kinds of carbohydrates, sugar and fiber. Fiber is good for you because it helps you feel fuller longer and it keeps you pooping on a regular schedule. When people suggest reducing carbohydrate intake, they mean reducing the other kind of carbohydrate, i.e. sugar. This can be done by eating fewer desserts and reducing portions of starchy foods, such as bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. (Science note: starches are basically just long chains of sugar.)

Carbohydrates of any kind are not inherently "bad." After all, your brain runs on carbohydrates. However, it is possible to eat a lot of sugar and starch before you feel full. I was in the same boat as you, where I had to reduce carbs in order to keep under my calorie goals. But that isn't stopping me from eating the occasional piece of cake. :)

Which would explain the cognitive decline for low carb diets, herp
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My feelings on carbs that that while I don't want to go crazy and have 80% of my calories from carbs, I'm not going to cut them out either.

Quality of carbs makes a difference though. How much better is a plate of healthy veggies than a plate of fries? Quality.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

Stop with this silliness, what makes whole grains good and white rice/potatoes/bread bad

Besides the fact that they make some people blow up like a balloon? Not everyone needs to do this, but personally I cant have these things in my diet because I will not lose an ounce eating them. Even if I strictly count calories. I've done it, counting and being balanced with my diet for years, and I've never been as thin as I am now that Ive dropped the carbs. It doesnt work for me, and I think it is just the way my body works and I have just accepted it. Not saying everyone has to, my boyfriend for instance eats pile and piles of white rice and bread and stays 165lbs at 6ft tall. Me....I look at it and I jump up to 130 at 5ft tall. Just saying, all this rudeness is unnecessary, it might be nonsense for you or my boyfriend to limit their food so much, but after 10+ years of dieting, this is the only thing that has worked for me and Im sure there are others out there like me.Also, low carb to me is 100-150, thats room for plenty of carrots and fruit. Even some beer sometimes.

Edit; I just realize, my profile pic says it all. The pic of me on the left is of me after 1+year of eating a balance diet of 1500ish (sometimes less, sometimes slightly more) while exercising regularly. The one on the right is after 4 months no carbs and very little cal restriction, and usually less exercise. Works for me, no need to be rude and say there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason carbs could be lower for some people than others.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

It is funny that people like YOU say there is some cognitive decline but in actuality every person (including myself) says how much clearer and free of brain fog we are once we cut out the crap food and start eating fats, proteins and carbs from vegetables and fruits.

You are not a low carber, so I don't expect someone like YOU to understand.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

No, the brain will adapt to ketones if glucose is absent, but glucose is still the preferred fuel for the brain. We can adapt a paleo lifestyle and a low carb lifestyle, or any lifestyle for that matter but creating a confirmation bias to make yourself or other people believe something that isn't true is kinda defeating, it achieves nothing.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information on this site:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_diet.php
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It is funny that people like YOU say there is some cognitive decline but in actuality every person (including myself) says how much clearer and free of brain fog we are once we cut out the crap food and start eating fats, proteins and carbs from vegetables and fruits.

Not just me, there are a wealth of studies that show the exact same thing, as well as studies that show improved cognition with the addition of glucose before preforming various tasks.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

And this is the crux of the reason I think low-carb diets in general are stupid. Any diet that says fruits and vegetables are bad is stupid.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

No, the brain will adapt to ketones if glucose is absent, but glucose is still the preferred fuel for the brain. We can adapt a paleo lifestyle and a low carb lifestyle, or any lifestyle for that matter but creating a confirmation bias to make yourself or other people believe something that isn't true is kinda defeating, it achieves nothing.

Yes, the brain needs glucose, but as my Endrocrinologist and a couple of other Doctors has explained to me that the body actually runs better on ketones being converted to glucose rather than having glucose run freely from the liver metabolizing carbohydrates.

That is why the research is coming out about how eating higher fat is better for the brain, especially for those that are at risk for dementia, Alzheimers, Parkinson's, etc.

I go with the research that my Endocrinlogist presents to me as he is a research Dr at Washington University here in St Louis which is one of the top research centers in the Country.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    And this is the crux of the reason I think low-carb diets in general are stupid. Any diet that says fruits and vegetables are bad is stupid.

APPLAUSE! No one ever got fat because they ate too many grapes or an extra side of broccoli.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I did low carb for many years....I feel a million times better now that I stopped worrying about low carbs and started eating everything in fairly equal amounts. Just because YOU feel better, doesn't mean that EVERYONE does or would. Cutting out crap, processed foods are healthy all around, but there is nothing wrong with a high carb diet if the majority of carbs are coming from healthy sources.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Livestrong and a bunch of websites have long and detailed lists...I think there are a ton of threads in MFP with lists as well. But in general, stick with fresh fruits and vegetables, organic whole gain breads (you really just want to read the ingredients...fewer the better,,,also, bread with fiber added is good). Usually, organic is a good way to go. But you still need to read labels to see if the organics are legit, as federal regulations on organics are still not really there, or enforced. As a note, fiber is a way to offset carbs. You can't get a full 1 to 1 ratio, but a healthy amount of natural fiber works wonders on helping process the carbs. I suggest reading up on this and also what makes up carbohydrates. Wikipedia is a good place to start. Enjoy!

How exactly would reading a label tell you if "organics are legit" if "federal regulations on organics are still not really there, or enforced?" If a label says "organic wheat" I know that the wheat meets the federal organic standard, but not much else.

Also, while I eat organic foods to avoid pesticide residues, I don't see any health advantage related to carbs from eating organic food.

As a side note, fiber is typically counted in total carbs, so if you see something has 10g of carbs in it, you may find 4 of them are fiber, which your body can't really digest, I think this is what the commenter is getting at.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Veggies are good carbs. The carbs that you need to count are the grains, breads and sweets.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

Simple carbs (sugars, white breads/pasta/rice, sweets in general) are the ones you want to avoid. Complex carbs found in veggies and whole grains are good for you. Maybe go lighter on fruits, grains, and starchy veggies like carrots, potatoes, and corn, as these tend to convert to sugar more easily. However, don't be afraid to load up on green veggies like broccoli, green beans, and spinach.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Any clues?

Subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs to get the true count.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes, the brain needs glucose, but as my Endrocrinologist and a couple of other Doctors has explained to me that the body actually runs better on ketones being converted to glucose rather than having glucose run freely from the liver metabolizing carbohydrates.

That is why the research is coming out about how eating higher fat is better for the brain, especially for those that are at risk for dementia, Alzheimers, Parkinson's, etc.

I go with the research that my Endocrinlogist presents to me as he is a research Dr at Washington University here in St Louis which is one of the top research centers in the Country.

What do you consider "low carb"? I ask because I see people throwing around numbers like most Americans eat 600mg when they only need 300. But low-carbers seem to aim for something like 20mg.

I usually (unless I treat myself) fall below 150, even though I'm not doing low-carb on purpose. I'm vegetarian, so it's nearly impossible. But I eat a LOT of fat.

So it seems it's not a one or the other thing. You can have both.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a pseudoscience. Eat pasta, it's good for you unless your doctor says it's not.
  • shev11
    shev11 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute what's wrong with pasta and rice? pff they're the best foods :(
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I doubt anyone ever got fat eating too many fruits and vegetables.