Veggies and carbs - jaws dropped.

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

Simple carbs (sugars, white breads/pasta/rice, sweets in general) are the ones you want to avoid. Complex carbs found in veggies and whole grains are good for you. Maybe go lighter on fruits, grains, and starchy veggies like carrots, potatoes, and corn, as these tend to convert to sugar more easily. However, don't be afraid to load up on green veggies like broccoli, green beans, and spinach.
    Hate to burst your bubble but white bread, rice and pasta are complex carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

Stop with this silliness, what makes whole grains good and white rice/potatoes/bread bad

Besides the fact that they make some people blow up like a balloon? Not everyone needs to do this, but personally I cant have these things in my diet because I will not lose an ounce eating them. Even if I strictly count calories. I've done it, counting and being balanced with my diet for years, and I've never been as thin as I am now that Ive dropped the carbs. It doesnt work for me, and I think it is just the way my body works and I have just accepted it. Not saying everyone has to, my boyfriend for instance eats pile and piles of white rice and bread and stays 165lbs at 6ft tall. Me....I look at it and I jump up to 130 at 5ft tall. Just saying, all this rudeness is unnecessary, it might be nonsense for you or my boyfriend to limit their food so much, but after 10+ years of dieting, this is the only thing that has worked for me and Im sure there are others out there like me.Also, low carb to me is 100-150, thats room for plenty of carrots and fruit. Even some beer sometimes.

Edit; I just realize, my profile pic says it all. The pic of me on the left is of me after 1+year of eating a balance diet of 1500ish (sometimes less, sometimes slightly more) while exercising regularly. The one on the right is after 4 months no carbs and very little cal restriction, and usually less exercise. Works for me, no need to be rude and say there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason carbs could be lower for some people than others.

Besides the fact that no ever said low carb doesn't work or might even be an optimal diet for some, I will stick with labeling something universally bad because some people can't tolerate it is silly. By the same logic water is bad since there is a girl who is allergic to it, all seafood is bad since people are allergic to it etc etc, silly isn't it?
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Just cut out bad carbs, white bread, white pasta white rice, sugar loaded foods pasrtries, cake etc, eat all your veggies and whole grains

Stop with this silliness, what makes whole grains good and white rice/potatoes/bread bad

Besides the fact that they make some people blow up like a balloon? Not everyone needs to do this, but personally I cant have these things in my diet because I will not lose an ounce eating them. Even if I strictly count calories. I've done it, counting and being balanced with my diet for years, and I've never been as thin as I am now that Ive dropped the carbs. It doesnt work for me, and I think it is just the way my body works and I have just accepted it. Not saying everyone has to, my boyfriend for instance eats pile and piles of white rice and bread and stays 165lbs at 6ft tall. Me....I look at it and I jump up to 130 at 5ft tall. Just saying, all this rudeness is unnecessary, it might be nonsense for you or my boyfriend to limit their food so much, but after 10+ years of dieting, this is the only thing that has worked for me and Im sure there are others out there like me.Also, low carb to me is 100-150, thats room for plenty of carrots and fruit. Even some beer sometimes.

Edit; I just realize, my profile pic says it all. The pic of me on the left is of me after 1+year of eating a balance diet of 1500ish (sometimes less, sometimes slightly more) while exercising regularly. The one on the right is after 4 months no carbs and very little cal restriction, and usually less exercise. Works for me, no need to be rude and say there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason carbs could be lower for some people than others.

Besides the fact that no ever said low carb doesn't work or might even be an optimal diet for some, I will stick with labeling something universally bad because some people can't tolerate it is silly. By the same logic water is bad since there is a girl who is allergic to it, all seafood is bad since people are allergic to it etc etc, silly isn't it?

You are just as silly for the comment you just made. Not logical at all.

"Appeal to Extremes

(also known as: reductio ad absurdum [misuse of], slippery slope fallacy [form of])

Description: Erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes."

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/30-appeal-to-extremes
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options

This, foods are made up of macro nutrients and micro nutrients. In general, the difference between white rice and brown rice is white has more carbs and a little less fiber (brown doesn't have much to begin with). Eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros!! Food pyramid anyone? Balance is a good thing.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Okay, this morning, my jaws dropped when I saw that one cup of carrot was like 12 carbs! Wait, I thought it was good for you to eat vegetables and reduce the carbs! How am I supposed to reduce carbs while eating vegetables? There is something somewhere that I don't understand........

Any clues?

Carrots happen to be a vegetable that are pretty high in carbs. They are sweet and that's why so many people like them. Check out some different veggies to reduce carbs more.
  • Acg67
    Options

"Appeal to Extremes

(also known as: reductio ad absurdum [misuse of], slippery slope fallacy [form of])

Description: Erroneously attempting to make a reasonable argument into an absurd one, by taking the argument to the extremes."

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/30-appeal-to-extremes

Exactly my point labeling something universally bad due to negatively effecting the minority is absurd
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Any clues?

Simple carbs (sugars, white breads/pasta/rice, sweets in general) are the ones you want to avoid. Complex carbs found in veggies and whole grains are good for you. Maybe go lighter on fruits, grains, and starchy veggies like carrots, potatoes, and corn, as these tend to convert to sugar more easily. However, don't be afraid to load up on green veggies like broccoli, green beans, and spinach.

WHOLE GRAIN breads/pasta are complex. Anything made with white flour is considered simple because it breaks down into sugar much more easily in the body. This is something I've been told by numerous nutritionists/dieticians/fitness pros and have read in multiple sources (the following is only one example). Not to mention my own personal experience. I have insulin resistance and I know for a fact that my blood sugar stays better regulated when I avoid sweets and substitute white bread/pasta for whole grain bread/pasta and limit my daily fruit intake and starchy veggies. The less processed and/or starchy your food, the better....unless you have zero blood sugar issues and you are EXTREMELY active every day.

http://howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm
  • _lizzie_
    Options

"Appeal to Extremes

Exactly my point labeling something universally bad due to negatively effecting the minority is absurd

Except that minority is bigger than you think. Everyone in my family is the way I am, show me a family of people that are allergic to water? Besides, you completely missed my point, I wasnt saying it was universally bad, in fact I said the opposite, its fine for some people, like yourself and my boyfriend and his family. All Im saying is that you dont know this lady, and she said earlier she was doing low carb because it was all she could stick to. Its silly and rude for you to insist she eat rice and pasta. I dont even think you paid any attention to her reasons. You just called her and anyone else silly regardless of the circumstances. Thats pretty much the definition of "labeling something universally bad due to negatively effecting the minority" Maybe low carb isnt for you, but maybe you should consider that your not everybody. This whole time you have been assuming most people are like you, that may not be true.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

This, foods are made up of macro nutrients and micro nutrients. In general, the difference between white rice and brown rice is white has more carbs and a little less fiber (brown doesn't have much to begin with). Eat whatever you want as long as it fits your macros!! Food pyramid anyone? Balance is a good thing.

If you are referring to the USDA food pyramid...............it is the biggest joke published.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Sister.JPG
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Any Harry Potter reference is bound to make me smile.
  • Acg67
    Options

"Appeal to Extremes

Except that minority is bigger than you think. Everyone in my family is the way I am, show me a family of people that are allergic to water? Besides, you completely missed my point, I wasnt saying it was universally bad, in fact I said the opposite, its fine for some people, like yourself and my boyfriend and his family. All Im saying is that you dont know this lady, and she said earlier she was doing low carb because it was all she could stick to. Its silly and rude for you to insist she eat rice and pasta. I dont even think you paid any attention to her reasons. You just called her and anyone else silly regardless of the circumstances. Thats pretty much the definition of "labeling something universally bad due to negatively effecting the minority" Maybe low carb isnt for you, but maybe you should consider that your not everybody. This whole time you have been assuming most people are like you, that may not be true.

I only asked what makes the carbs listed originally bad ones, where did I insist someone eat rice and potatoes
  • Acg67
    Options

If you are referring to the USDA food pyramid...............it is the biggest joke published.

Pretty sure that would be Good Calories, Bad Calories
  • _lizzie_
    Options

"Appeal to Extremes

I only asked what makes the carbs listed originally bad ones, where did I insist someone eat rice and potatoes

Oh please, you said people who dont eat carbs have a cognitive decline..if thats not saying you should eat them I dont know what is. If your just going to continue to be facetious and split hairs, Im out.
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've lost well over 100 lbs and, though I still have 85 lbs to go, I think the best thing is to just stay away from overly processed foods as much as possible. You don't have to eliminate carbs.

As a vegetarian my diet is largely bean and lentil - based. Overall my diet is between 55-60% carbs. As has been said, healthy carbs are awesome.

I just bought two big canisters of old-school oatmeal because I'm willing to bet it'll be a good, healthful breakfast.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Oh please, you said people who dont eat carbs have a cognitive decline..if thats not saying you should eat them I dont know what is. If your just going to continue to be facetious and split hairs, Im out.

That I did, and that is true, but that isn't saying don't do low carb. What you quoted and took offense too was me calling the statement that certain carbs are universally bad silly.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:bigsmile:

Someone more creative than me should make that into a meme about carbs! :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

:bigsmile:

Someone more creative than me should make that into a meme about carbs! :laugh:
    Oh yes!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Any clues?

WHOLE GRAIN breads/pasta are complex. Anything made with white flour is considered simple because it breaks down into sugar much more easily in the body. This is something I've been told by numerous nutritionists/dieticians/fitness pros and have read in multiple sources (the following is only one example). Not to mention my own personal experience. I have insulin resistance and I know for a fact that my blood sugar stays better regulated when I avoid sweets and substitute white bread/pasta for whole grain bread/pasta and limit my daily fruit intake and starchy veggies. The less processed and/or starchy your food, the better....unless you have zero blood sugar issues and you are EXTREMELY active every day.

http://howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm

Simple carbs are either single or double sugars. A complex carb has three or more. Simple sugars are fructose, sucrose, lactose, maltose, etc.

Starches have three or more sugars. Grain that has been refined is still a grain and thus a starch, a complex carb.
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    OP there's a lot of noise on threads about diet and usually folks aren't all right or all wrong. BUT what works for one doesnt alwasy work for another though and you'll get pulled in 20 directions. if there is sometihng about a low carb/high protein lifestyle that sounds good to you then you are going to want to read some published material about the theory and the chemistry.

It's not 1980 and this isnt your mamma's Atkns though..... it's not a magic bullet for everyone.. insulin resistance, body composite, food preferences, chemistry, hormones.. all these things come into play. your best bet is to hit a friendly bookstore, pull all the low carb books off the shelves and start reading the intro chapters. some are going to make more sense to you then others. buy the one that does ring the truest to you and read the whole book to start.

But one liner tips on a 20 page post are going to confuse you and possibley weaken your launch.

i prefer a high protein (low carb diet) because fiber, fat and protein keep me fuller longer, my blood sugar stable, and actually eliminates my desire/craving/emotional bull**** around food and i think like one of those blessed natually thin folk out there :)

and it didnt hurt that i natually gravitated toward protein before i ever heard of atkins many moons ago.