Do you lift heavy weights? How do you balance cardio?

Just that. If you lift heavy, how many time per week (and for how long) do you do cardio? Are you trying to gain muscle or maintain muscle while losing some fat?

I think that I may need to edit this portion of my routine :)

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Takes between 30-45 minutes, depending on how long I rest between sets.

On Tuesday, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday (depending how I feel), I run... typically between 3-6 miles.

I'm eating around maintenance right now, looking more at building strength than muscle, and very slowly losing body fat.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    I cycle, swim and do "Starting Strength".

I usually alternate between SS, cycling, rest day, SS, cycling, rest day, rinse repeat ...

Current goals are: losing weight, BF% <15% and maintaining lbm. Will shift toward gaining lbm once I reached my goal weight.
  • thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    I warm up on an elliptical, then lift. Lifting is 4x a week, MTThF, hi intensity cardio on wednesday, 30-45 min, and then saturday is a super high intesity leg day that includes lifting heavy weight and getting in the anaerobic zone via a weighted sled.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    I don't really balance cardio. I do a ten minute cardio "warm up", lift, then a 10 minute cardio "cool down" at the gym. I'm still working on 5 more pounds or so (hit my goal and wasn't happy) but I'm trying to tighten up so yeah, still loosing body fat. :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I do NROL4W Monday, Wednesday, Friday. C25k Tue and Thur. I still have around 15 pounds to lose, but I'm focusing more on building strength, and dropping my BF%
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I lift weights 5x a week and do cardio 1x a week for 20 minutes to an hour (depending on what type of cardio I'm doing). The only reason I bother with cardio is to stay in decent cardiovascular shape.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I am eating at maintenance. I run for about 30 minutes 3x week at a comfortable pace and also do HIIT and strength training 3 times a week. When I want to put on weight I generally just cut out my 90 minutes of running and just stick with the HIIT and strength training.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    I run to the fridge and bathroom for cardio. Used to I ran before and after, now I just squat for cardio.
  • ginfest
    ginfest Posts: 1 Member
    I lift and do cardio 6-7 days a week. Full body (squats, dead lift, "good mornings" ) every other day, curls, french curls, shoulder presses, the next. Takes me 30-40 minutes to do my sets (10, 11, 12, 15, 10 of each). Followed by 30 minutes cardio (elliptical) each day.
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    OP What is it that you're trying to accomplish? You should create a workout routine that works for you - everyone's routine is going to be different based on what their goals are. I would like to lose a considerable amount of weight while toning my body so; for me, I do alot of cardio...at least 60 minutes 5 times per week and also strength train (yes, with heavy weights) at least four times a week. I don't alternate cardio & strength training days - do it all in same day.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    I lift heavy on Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday and sometimes on Sunday (focusing on different muscle groups each day) for about 30-60 minutes - again depending on which muscles I'm working and how long I rest in between sets. I do cardio (boxing and kickboxing) on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and bootcamp on Saturdays. And on occasion I'll jump on the treadmill and run a little bit after a lifting day, but I've been trying to steer clear of that until January when I start training for a quarter marathon.

Currently trying to build muscle and lose fat. So far this strategy is working.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I do a full body lifting routine on M, W and F and that takes about 50-55 minutes including a 5 minute cardio warm up. After that I do 20 minutes of some LISS cardio. Typically then I will do a 4-6 mile run on Tuesday, rest on Thursday and then another cardio day on Saturday or Sunday. If I know that I won't get it in on the weekend then Thursday is another cardio day instead of rest. My goal is to lose some more body fat and continue to gain strength, but not muscle size. I eat at a slight deficit for now since I want to get rid of the BF.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    My homemade workouts incorporate both strength and cardio together. I'm gettting ready to start making home videos for YouTube to show them to ppl. A lot of heavy sledge hammer swinging, tire flipping, step-ups with a sand filled basketball I then throw up over my head against a tree. Fun stuff. lol. Oh yeah and sometimesssss even the run and jump over the bonfire... lol.... :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Takes between 30-45 minutes, depending on how long I rest between sets.

On Tuesday, Thursday and either Saturday or Sunday (depending how I feel), I run... typically between 3-6 miles.

I'm doing something different than SL, but same schedule and running distances. Lift & Run on alternating days, rest on either Saturday or Sunday depending on schedule and how worn out I'm feeling. I'm of the opinion that you should feel a little tired at the end of such a routine.

On most days I try to eat at a deficit, but don't sweat it if I have to go up to maintenance with such an aggressive routine.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week, Crossfit 2 days a week, because it is fun. I only get cardio from my walk to my gym(3 miles there and back) and the cardio incorporated in Crossfit. I eat slightly under maintenance.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    I warm up with 5-10min cario, lift, then cool down for 20mins. Thats MWF. TTh are pilates days. Sometimes ill add extra cardio
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    For the past 4 months I've been doing 5/3/1, and no cardio outside of intramural sports (softball in summer, flag football in fall).
  • gregarybrown72
    gregarybrown72 Posts: 25 Member
    I do at least two sets of 45-60 mins of high intensity cardio (Basketball, cycling, 400m sprints). I lift heavy (max out) once a week, usually on Sunday. I also go light, one set (half my max) with very high reps (50-60) on Friday. My goal is building explosive, fast twitch musles. Along with that I'm losting weight and getting stronger.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    My homemade workouts incorporate both strength and cardio together. I'm gettting ready to start making home videos for YouTube to show them to ppl. A lot of heavy sledge hammer swinging, tire flipping, step-ups with a sand filled basketball I then throw up over my head against a tree. Fun stuff. lol. Oh yeah and sometimesssss even the run and jump over the bonfire... lol.... :)

Bad *kitten*!
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    I normally lift heavy on Monday, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. In between I do Zumba, body combat, cardio step or the elliptical for cardio. I try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day on days I lift and at least an hour on the days I don't.

I was eating at maintenance until about a week ago. Now I'm eating at a slight deficit in order to lose bodyfat.