Do you lift heavy weights? How do you balance cardio?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i do strength 3x . HIIT once, a bit of walking and sometimes an hour of badminton per week.

i am maintaining and trying to lose a little bodyfat as well.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    15 minute HIIT workouts and taking my dog for walks. That's it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I lift at least twice a week, and do cardio every day including the days I lift.

15 min elliptical
    25 minutes heavy lifting
    15 minutes elliptical

on rest days i do minimum 45 minutes walking at 3.5 mph. Mostly because my legs are sore and it feels good to walk and stretch them out. I tend to take weekends off.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    I lift 4 times a week. 10-15min cardio warm up then lift for about 45mins then sometimes another 15min cardio. Another two days per week I just do cardio - 45mins usually. One rest day per week. I lift heavy 5x5 reps.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    I like reading everyone's routines.

I do 5/3/1 four days a week, and extremely low level cardio (walking the dogs, sometimes running with them if I've only got two of them) everyday.
  • I lift heavy 3x a week, Monday, Wednesday, And saturday. I do a bit of cardio every day. I ride my bike to work 5x a week and my schedule is
    Monday after lifting- dance/zumba
    Tuesday Spinning class
    Wednesday Spinning class then lifting
    Thursday Yoga
    Friday -Just bike ride to work
    Saturday is Kickboxing, Lifting, and then dance/zumba
    Sunday is break day.

I believe in the studies that show you need breaks in between heavy lifting so I do cardio on my non lifting days to keep me active and sane :)
  • simba01
    simba01 Posts: 19 Member
    I lift 3-4 x a week. I do cardio 5-6x a week.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    I do 5/3/1 3x a week of heavy lifting. Then do crossfit 2x times a week (which I consider cardio) and then run 1-2 times a week for 25-30 minutes.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Traditional cardio such as running and elliptical machines offer very little bang for the buck.. especially if you want to add or retain muscle.

I lift heavy 2-3 times a week, do Tabata HIIT 1-2 times a week, and, of course, eat well. This combo has me steadily melting fat while adding some muscle. I am also in and out of the gym in 30 minutes. The only other movement I am doing on a consistent basis is walking my dogs and some stretching.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Just that. If you lift heavy, how many time per week (and for how long) do you do cardio? Are you trying to gain muscle or maintain muscle while losing some fat?

I think that I may need to edit this portion of my routine :)

I walk to and from the gym at a brisk pace (20 mins each way). That's my cardio. I also do street dance twice a week, so I don't bother with any serious cardio other than that.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    OP What is it that you're trying to accomplish? You should create a workout routine that works for you - everyone's routine is going to be different based on what their goals are. I would like to lose a considerable amount of weight while toning my body so; for me, I do alot of cardio...at least 60 minutes 5 times per week and also strength train (yes, with heavy weights) at least four times a week. I don't alternate cardio & strength training days - do it all in same day.

I realize that every body is different, I was just looking for ideas. I'm trying to find the right balance for my body -- strength, cardio, and diet.

Historically, I was a cardio only girl. I just started lifting about 6 months ago. I am just about to finish P90X. P90X has 2 - 1 hour cardio sessions. I feel that maybe I am not doing enough cardio or maybe it should be more often but shorter (or more HIIT-like).

I still need to lose body fat (currently 23% and would like to be closer to 20%). I am losing fat slowly (maybe my expectations are too high); I am losing about 1/2 % per month.

I am also trying to find a good calorie level for my body. Historically, one of those 1200 calorie girls. Currently I am at 1700-ish. I haven't figured out yet if that is too much or too little.

Just trying to find my personal balance ---
  • Lift 3x week, typically MWF.

Depending on how I feel I really like to do cardio 2x week, typcially T, TH, or Saturday. If I want to take it easy with cardio I'll go to spin class but if I'm feeling up for it I'll run or do sprint intervals.

Overall cardio is secondary to my lifting routine.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I lift twice a week with a combination of strong lifts and New Rules of Lifting for Life, after a 5 to 10 minutes warm up in the rowing machine. I also do Power Pilates twice a week, yoga and ballet once a week.

I am now increasing my weekly cardio routine because I noticed that I am losing stamina and endurance. Cardio is a combination of stationary bike, treadmill, and ARC (30 to 45 minutes total), but not everyday. I don't run or jog due to knee problems.

I am on maintenance since February 2011 and I am now eating on a slight deficit to see if I get rid of some more body fat.
  • DirtyForWeeks
    DirtyForWeeks Posts: 16 Member
    What works for me is the following:
    0530 - 0600 - Cardio - Run on tredmill at 8-10 min pace. Easy run
    0600 - 0700 - Cardio and Heavy Lifting. Example. Bench Press 15 reps for 4 sets. After the last set, get on the treadmill for 4 Ranger runs ( .10 - .20 sprint). Then Triceps. After your last set, you are back on the treadmill, elliptical, whatever for about 3 - 5 minutes.

Overall, after your last set, get on a cardio machine for about 3 - 5 minutes and then back to the weights. The only time you get a rest is when you are moving from machine to machine. Be careful and work your way up to it.
  • I just lift heavy and eat a lot. If I need to lose a bit of fat, I'll throw in drop sets or super sets but I generally stick to lift heavy and forget about cardio. Once your muscles get to a certain size, they tend to burn a multitude of calories, simply because your body has to put forth more effort. If you still need to do cardio, I'd suggest 2-4 times per week after lifting. Hope this helps!
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    I am an competitive powerlifter here.

Ill do "cardio" as a warm-up and a cooldown. totaling an hour and a bit every day. Ill never exceed 130bpms on my HRM as to not tax my CNS anymore, or impede my recovery.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I lift 4 days per week on average and I don't do "cardio".

I'll occasionally do some conditioning but I never jog on a treadmill or use an elliptical unless it's a 5 minute warmup to actually lift weights.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    I do StrongLifts 5X5 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I do not do cardio as I am not actively involved in any sporting activities that require prolonged high energy expenditure. Additionally, I am good at keeping calories in line.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    i lift weights 6-7 days a week and fit cardio in at least a half an hour each day also. Days that im off from lifting, i usually still do cardio.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    I do squats or deads, a push and a pull 3 times per week. I usually do one day of "mop up" where I may do some isolations and pushes and pulls i didn't do in the other 3 workouts.

Generally I do 3 working sets of 4 exercises or less every time i go to the gym.