Do you lift heavy weights? How do you balance cardio?

Options
13»

Replies

• _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I run to the fridge and bathroom for cardio. Used to I ran before and after, now I just squat for cardio.

Lol! I also do laps to the fridge for cardio:wink: Really though, I only do cardio activities I like, and I do them spontaneously. I hike maybe 2 in a month...thats about it. When Im somewhere that has a beach (about half the year) I go to the beach and swim a handful of times a month as well.
  • 1TenaciousGirl
    Options
    I lift exclusively for the most part. I will sometimes throw in a zumba class or yoga or ellipitical. I am maintain weight and losing body fat. Diet is what is going to bring the body fat down the best for me.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I don't do any cardio.

I don't recommend that as a strategy for everyone, but I do think cardio should be minimized of muscle gain/lean mass retention is your goal, especially for folks that are already lean and trying to get leaner.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    cardio on off days when you can fit it in. If your doing heavy lifitng and heavy cardio one will have to be toned back or your lifting will suffer. You will be getting stronger but your wont be able to show it in the gym.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 day per week. I do 10-20 minutes of cardio before lifting. About once a week I like to do a cardio session where my heart rate is at a high level and maintain it for around 10 minutes. Then on weekends I spend a lot of time in the mountain hiking and biking.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    OP What is it that you're trying to accomplish? You should create a workout routine that works for you - everyone's routine is going to be different based on what their goals are. I would like to lose a considerable amount of weight while toning my body so; for me, I do alot of cardio...at least 60 minutes 5 times per week and also strength train (yes, with heavy weights) at least four times a week. I don't alternate cardio & strength training days - do it all in same day.

I realize that every body is different, I was just looking for ideas. I'm trying to find the right balance for my body -- strength, cardio, and diet.

Historically, I was a cardio only girl. I just started lifting about 6 months ago. I am just about to finish P90X. P90X has 2 - 1 hour cardio sessions. I feel that maybe I am not doing enough cardio or maybe it should be more often but shorter (or more HIIT-like).

I still need to lose body fat (currently 23% and would like to be closer to 20%). I am losing fat slowly (maybe my expectations are too high); I am losing about 1/2 % per month.

I am also trying to find a good calorie level for my body. Historically, one of those 1200 calorie girls. Currently I am at 1700-ish. I haven't figured out yet if that is too much or too little.

Just trying to find my personal balance ---

It's good to get ideas. A lot of this will be trail and error for you. I made a work out plan over Thanksigving, and had to modify it after 3 days. Just try stuff, if it doesn't work, try something else. There are thousands of ways to do this.