Are they just lucky?

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    And there is the teenage growing boy syndrome..... My 19 year old 6'3.5" son weighs 143# eats non-stop when he's awake, lots of carbs (breads, pasta, potatoes) - I am pushing more protein and drinking more water. he gets dizzy so easily. -
    I keep wanting to actually record all he eats to see how much it really is...
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Though, he goes through periods where he's not as hungry and eats less.

This is pretty normal, they eat a ton for a few days then they eat very little. If he eats 3000 for a few days then eats 1800 a few days it can certainly offset things quite fast.

How long did you do this for?

3000 for about 2 weeks and then maybe down to 2100 for 2. He doesn't have a twitch or existing medical conditions. *Shrugs*. Each body is different. I certainly can't do that!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I remember family members seeing me eat lots of food in one sitting ( just like everyone else at the table) and because I was slim comments were made about my metabolism and I heard " it's just not fair is it?" What they didn't see was how hard it had been for me to lose 20 pounds in my thirties... My brain when I was 20 pounds overweight did believe that I was the kind of person who would only get heavier... Fighting with and changing my thinking was so hard!!! So when I heard " it's not fair". My reaction was to think it has nothing to do with fair! I worked damn hard for this and anyone else can do it too!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe there's such a thing. It's a lie.

Most people I know believe I'm naturally skinny. To be honest, I have no idea why they'd think that - I'm vegan and I restrict my eating more than most people I know, plus I'm very active. However, I eat very frequently and when I do eat sweets and such, it's almost exclusively with friends and not alone, which might probably cause this impression.
    I've had past roomates say I was just naturally skinny when they had their pantry full of chips and chocolate and all I had there was beans and lentils.

My boyfriend thinks he's naturally skinny, but I know he just eats too little for a guy who's 6'4. He's certain he eats tons, but I'm sure he hardly gets to 2000 cals a day.

No, you shouldn't assume it's just a lie. One thing no one has mentioned is how important a role genes play. Some people are simply pre-disposed to a higher metabolism due to genetics, a factor that cannot be ignored. I have never been more than thin in my entire life, whether or not I exercise. In fact, I would argue that exercise makes me gain weight (the good kind of weight though), because I tend to eat way more when I exercise. My parents are both rail thin and tall, so it's no surprise that both my brother and I are tall and thin.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This is pretty normal, they eat a ton for a few days then they eat very little. If he eats 3000 for a few days then eats 1800 a few days it can certainly offset things quite fast.

3000 for about 2 weeks and then maybe down to 2100 for 2. He doesn't have a twitch or existing medical conditions. *Shrugs*. Each body is different. I certainly can't do that!

He probably has high NEAT.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options

He probably has high NEAT.

*Shrugs* Either way, he can eat a lot, and doesn't gain weight. ;)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah they are SO lucky that they never have to learn self discipline, what their true colors are in a struggle, how to push themselves to overcome real obstacles, how to make wise decisions and understand health and nutrition and how their body works. So freaking lucky.

what the hell - people will think of ANYTHING to complain about when procrastinating.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It means they don't overeat, plain and simple.

Pizza, ice cream, bacon, etc do not make you fat. Overeating does.

I agree, everything is in moderation. Also you must be active!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite, people wonder how I lose weight, because when they see me it is because we are usually going out to get drinks, and dinner on the weekends, or holidays and I don't hold back then, but they don't see the way I eat the rest of the week at home, and at work I actually had somebody at a wedding I was at ask if I was off my diet, just because I was eating the appetizers haha. Same as these people you see that are skinny, you are usually only seeing them in an environment like that, and they are going to indulge themselves, but may not eat anything else that day when you aren't around.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact opposite, people wonder how I lose weight, because when they see me it is because we are usually going out to get drinks, and dinner on the weekends, or holidays and I don't hold back then, but they don't see the way I eat the rest of the week at home, and at work I actually had somebody at a wedding I was at ask if I was off my diet, just because I was eating the appetizers haha. Same as these people you see that are skinny, you are usually only seeing them in an environment like that, and they are going to indulge themselves, but may not eat anything else that day when you aren't around.

This! This is me as well - I eat very good at home and at work. On the weekends I indulge. I'm 5'9" and 125.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    Most people are within 5% of each other whether fat or thin.

That's a very interesting statement. Citation/source?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    not sure it is that simple. My hubby is one of those people on the surface, still very thin and eats a lot but then if you look at portion sizes they tend to be quite sensible and he has a manual job and plays squash 3-5 times a week too. Yes a few people may have really high metabolism, but look at most people who are thin, do they work out, do they have jobs that keep them moving or life styles with lots of activity, eg dog walking, kids sport training etc and finally are they always on the go doing lots of social things that involve getting out and about, diy round the home etc... I expect that is more the case.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Part of what has made this time successful for me to lose and stay focused is my change in understanding of 'those other people'. I have learned that no one has it 'easy'. Some are luckier than others in that they may naturally/ genetically have a bit higher metabolism. However, they still have to balance food choice, portions, and activity.

A friend of mine used to be a body builder, great physique. He also genetically is more prone to a leaner build. His younger days, when he competed and was bulky, he worked very hard to get and stay that way. As he hit 40, he knew that his metabolism would slow down, and deliberately dropped his body fat percentage.

He has confided that even for him, getting to gym isn't always easy or fun. It is just part of the requirement to be healthy. He does indulge in treats much more than I can right now, but he definitely keeps a balance and works hard at it so he can stay fit and healthy.

Like I said, that mind shift for me has made a world of difference. No one can eat anything and all they want, not exercise, and stay healthy.

As my trainer says - "It is hard to be fat. It is hard to be fit. Choose your hard! "
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    If they really are eating tons of food and not exercising....well look at it this way. When the Zombie Apocalypse happens, they will starve because they need lots of food to keep going and will not be able to find enough because of the zombies. The rest of us here will be able to survive for a while on our stores of fat and not be worse for wear.

Really though, yes, they have an advantage with modern diets, but most of history, if the crops didn't come in...they would be the ones to starve during the winter. I suspect that all of us here are normal, they are the ones who are the flukes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    False perception.

Lean people either eat less than you think and/or move more.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it seems like they eat whatever they want because you see them on that one day a year when they splurge and eat 2 cupcakes, or you see them when they get a fast food lunch, but you don't see them the rest of the day when they are moving non-stop and don't notice an appetite or they get busy and "forget to eat". Or they eat a mostly healthy diet at home and don't have treats at home, but do eat when they are being social with friends. Or they have made exercise a regular part of their lives, for a very long time. Stuff like that. And while they may have the occasional splurge, they never actually binge eat.

Slender people will say things like, "I eat whatever I want", but "whatever they want" is not in excess.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find those skinny people don't eat as much as you think they do and that they are very active. I get accused of eating all day long but my daily intake is actually about 1300 calories. There are very few people in the world who have a super metabolism. Most people are within 5% of each other whether fat or thin.

^ This.

My husband is one of those people, and I remember thinking when we were dating that, wow, he can eat whatever he wants and never gain weight! Now that we're married I see he actually eats much less than he should be eating.
  • twentyjxthree
    Options
    Some people are blessed with a higher metabolism and don't need to worry about what they eat (so far in their lives)

Some people are cursed with a slower metabolism and seem to gain weight by just looking or smelling food.

Some people are thin because they don't eat enough.

Some people are not thin because they don't eat enough.

Some people eat moderately and never exercise because they stay within their TDEE.

Some people eat a lot and exercise a lot in order to stay within their TDEE.

Some people don't know what they're doing.... but supposedly are doing it "right."

Trust me, the more you dwell over the fact that it doesn't seem fair that he or she can eat so much junk and never seem to gain weight while you are watching every calorie of every morsel while never seeming to lose an inch will drive you insane...

Life isn't fair... we just have to learn to live with the cards we were dealt. Or do our best to change it. For those of us who aren't blessed with very fast metabolisms, we can only do our best to work out within reason and eat foods that help us feel good inside and out.

No point in wishing we were _____ for the wrong reasons.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It means they don't overeat, plain and simple.

Pizza, ice cream, bacon, etc do not make you fat. Overeating does.

this!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I used to be a skinny person who could eat whatever I wanted and not gain, but I was also a fairly active person - on my feet all day - and didn't have great eating habits. Someone might have seen me chowing down on chocolate or pizza, but they didn't see that I skipped breakfast or had a tiny lunch. Once I got a desk job, I gained a little. Once I got a husband and ate regular meals, I gained more.

Now, I'm a fit person who eats pretty much whatever I want, eating lots more than when I was young (I'm maintaining at about 2300 calories), but I lift heavy weights three times a week and run three times a week... It's not luck that makes me able to eat this way, it's because I put in the work. I enjoy exercising, but anyone who says it's just luck doesn't see the sweaty gross mess I am when I come home from a run. :laugh:

BOOM-TASTIC