How are you getting through the holiday tempations

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it honestly doesn't bother me....i eat a piece if I want a piece...i log it and I walk away...

but maybe pack some nutritional treats if' it's hard to walk away??

I'm just not sure how I'm going to turn down all the holiday sex....any ideas?
  • Jeffersz
    Options
    How are you dealing with this time of year and all the food temptations?

Simple... By choosing to adhere to the lifestyle change I've committed to. It's alright to have a "treat" once in a while, as long as I'm not exceeding my set goals.

Good luck!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Planned indulgence.

I'm allowing room in my calories for small treats, then avoiding the areas where the treats are staged the rest of the day. Only rule is I have to log it on my iPhone app before I eat it so I know what I'm doing.

Here's my working theory: If I treat one bite as cheating then I tend to say, "well I already cheated, might as well have a little more". If I give myself permission for one piece, then I'm not cheating and I don't tend to have that reaction.

On the other hand, I keep the stuff OUT of my house so my temptation is limited.

NOTE: this has worked well for me the last two years.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    WE HAVE A CALENDAR TO COUNT DOWN 2 XMAS SO I USED TO HAVE HUSHEE KISSES IN IT BUT THIS YEAR WER PUTING PROTEEN POWDER IN ZIPLOCK BAGZ INSTED FOR EACH DAY SOMETIMES I MAKE IT UP WITH MY COFY SOMETIMES I JUST EAT THE POWDER DRY AND DRINK A WATUR AFTER SO MY MOWTH DUZNT GET ALL DRY
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I-can-resist-anything.jpg
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    we have tempations at work every day wheher it's a holiday or not. I deal with it like any day-if I want something and it fits into my day, I'll have it if I don't want it or it doesn't fit into my day then I won't. Once a month we do birthday celebrations and I order and get the cake and then cut it, but I never have a piece of it. It's to tough with something like that to figure out the actual calorie count so I don't want it enough to chance it.

I'm honestly not bothered by the food that's around at all anymore
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I'll be dealing with the same thing. My plan is to indulge a bit, count the calories, and exercise if I want extra room in my daily calorie count.
  • flabbyjay
    flabbyjay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Poop a lot
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    In the immortal words of Nancy Reagan... Just say No

or say yes and log it
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger more satisfying breakfast and stay out of the kitchen for the daily stuff.

On Fridays, make sure you have a decent lunch and just go to socialize. Or if it's something you really want, have a small amount that fits within your goal and enjoy it.

If you really don't want to eat any of it and are having a hard time resisting, just imagine whoever cooked it sneezing, coughing, spitting, whatever in the dish or having a really nasty dirty kitchen. It's pretty easy to turn off the desire when you associate it with something that grosses you out.

I love this thoughtful imagination idea! I will need it!
  • spoons81
    spoons81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I take fresh fruit, and freeze it. That way, I still get the fruit I need daily, but I also get the dessert-ish feeling of ice cream/sherbert at the same time.

Also, avoiding chocolate in my house is NOT possible, seeing as I live with a family of chocololics, so I will probably have some, but I'm going to track it all so that I don't go over.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE frozen grapes!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    For holidays, I enjoy the company of friends and family family while eating yummy foods.

For something like 'Fat Friday, everywekk. Just don't eat all the fattening treats they ofer. Cut a 1/4 size portion or eat half, wrap the rest like you will enjoy it at home, them throw it away.
    Or just say no and don't eat any of it. Have a nice cup of tea or coffee and bring some fruits or nuts.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I often bring a healthy snack to share... that you love and is on your food plan. You'd be surprised how many other people will eat it when there is a healthy snack on the table.

Maybe solicit a few of your office mates to do the same thing?

Something I read a few years ago really clicked with me - Nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels! - this becomes my daily sometimes hourly mantra this time of year.

I figured by the time my Fat Friday rolls around (Dec 23) everyone will be tired of sweets, was planning on something much healthier.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just try to avoid going in the break room if I think I can't handle the temptation. Just remember why you are doing this, and is something that satisfy you for a minute or two and then makes you feel guilty, worth it?? If you have some, just have something small
  • SarahEMurray
    SarahEMurray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why not work additional calorie burners into your day? On days you know you are going to be faced with temptations, add an extra 30 minutes of exercise. You already know Fridays are going to be filled with treats-instead of torturing yourself, plan ahead and earn those treats! Bonus: once you realize how hard you have to work to burn off one cookie it will be easier to turn them down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont know how I feel about companies ceasing the work day to talk about nothing and eat crap.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Workout in the morning so as to have calories available to indulge...no workout, no indulgence...
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have small portions and work out longer so I can have more calories. Just be careful not to go overboard.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I avoid my break room right now, but if I get a little urge, I'll grab a small piece of whatever is being offered. Take just enough to give yourself a taste and then walk away (and log it). Make sure to keep it within your calories. Eat a big salad for lunch on Fridays and enjoy a small sampling of what there is. Or just go, and politely decline the treats. We have several people in our office that do that for many occassions, from birthday cakes to potlucks. They'll come into the conference room for the social gathering only.

I do like the idea of bringing healthy choices, as well though!! :)
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    Adapt an "they're out to get me" attitude. Just pretend that they (your co-workers) are deliberately trying to derail your attempt at losing weight by brining fattening, calorie ridden foods. Show them up by eating fruit, veggies ect while moaning "NomNomNom" about how good the broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce is.

Really, you can still have that stuff...just have to log it in. I always get little bites of everything. Half of half of any given dessert or whatever....