How are you getting through the holiday tempations

Options

Replies

• lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do an avoidance. At home I edo not buy the stuff, so if I really want it, I just buy 1 cookie, or 1 candy bar; however, moderation works best in these situations. Do not over eat, and load up on fresh fruits and veggies!
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat food! I don't fight temptations. If I want chocolate I eat chocolate. Any time I deny myself a strong temptation (craving) it always results in a binge. So I get the temptation out of the way so I don't get to a craving. For me a craving is past the line. Add some complex carbs to your yogurt. Oatmeal, quinoa, nuts, fruits, and granola are some good examples of fun things to add and spice up your yogurt. :-)

Sara
  • jhall585
    Options
    I cut myself some slack during the holidays, but only at family gatherings. I try to focus on how yucky my body feels when I go overboard, and that will keep me from getting too crazy most of the time.

I also work out more frequently and harder during this time of year so that I can at least maintain.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm usually better off not even trying stuff because it's a case of 1 is too many, and 100 is too few (meaning once I've had the one, the whole tray won't be enough).

Looks like you have a few choices:

1. Don't go if you know it's going to be hard for you to resist.

2. If you do go, eat something healthy BEFORE you go in there, have a bottle of water attached to your hand to drink (under the premise of don't go to the grocery store when you're hungry...or you'll buy the whole store....don't go to the goodie room on an empty stomach or you'll be more inclined to eat it all).

3. (possibly an addendum to #2) Decide before you go in, you'll have a small tasting of each item, and when that's done, leave.

For what it's worth....
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I dont know how I feel about companies ceasing the work day to talk about nothing and eat crap.

Its a form of team building and building a strong team. Everyone gets to know everyone and the team works more on a collaborative level. I think more offices should have time like that and encourage employees to mingle even in the work setting. We are a much more productive team because of it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I keep portion-controlled treats in my desk. Stuff that agrees with me, that I like, that I KNOW the calories. If it is REALLY something I want, I will eat a serving or small amount and log it. Most of the time, I really don't want it. And if I'm hungry, I eat something to fill me up like nuts or cheese (single serving). I may not be all that festive, but it sure is nice on January 1 not to have the extra gain. (Family meals on holidays are not included in the above - just work stuff!) I've really been trying to direct our holiday celebrations towards doing things for others and just having ONE event that we enjoy together. Makes it more special!
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger more satisfying breakfast and stay out of the kitchen for the daily stuff.

On Fridays, make sure you have a decent lunch and just go to socialize. Or if it's something you really want, have a small amount that fits within your goal and enjoy it.

If you really don't want to eat any of it and are having a hard time resisting, just imagine whoever cooked it sneezing, coughing, spitting, whatever in the dish or having a really nasty dirty kitchen. It's pretty easy to turn off the desire when you associate it with something that grosses you out.

THIS^^
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I try to get in the break room before anybody else, so I can pick what I like first before the good stuff is gone.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Eat a bigger more satisfying breakfast and stay out of the kitchen for the daily stuff.

On Fridays, make sure you have a decent lunch and just go to socialize. Or if it's something you really want, have a small amount that fits within your goal and enjoy it.

If you really don't want to eat any of it and are having a hard time resisting, just imagine whoever cooked it sneezing, coughing, spitting, whatever in the dish or having a really nasty dirty kitchen. It's pretty easy to turn off the desire when you associate it with something that grosses you out.

I like the imagination idea, I never used to eat anything my kids made at school and brought home (grubby hands and all and I wasn't there to ensure they washed them). That one may work!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Eat ........ enjoy...................pay later :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It's Christmas (or Hannukka, or whatever you celebrate.) It's once a year. You can get through, enjoying it and relishing the things you REALLY love, or you can whine and cry about the extra calories and make everyone around you miserable.

Have a cookie. Have one of something..........and then walk away. It's not that hard. I want to LIVE my life, and not think about every stinkin' bit of food that goes in my mouth......................I also want to enjoy my friends, family, coworkers.

After a year of MFP, I'm really learning that I can do whatever I want, eat-drink-be merry.........and maybe I'll gain a pound or two (OH MY GOSH!), but I can LOSE them again. Yup............it really does work that way.

Enjoy the holidays, my friends. Life is short :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    This isn't the perfect way, but it's my way. I just pick the treats I like and I take a couple bites out of each. My coworker friends will eat what I don't. If I took a whole donut I'd eat it all, so I just cut it into quarters and share. I count it in my calories for the day and if I do end up eating too much I exercise it off and try really hard to behave the next day.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I try to get in the break room before anybody else, so I can pick what I like first before the good stuff is gone.

oh yes........I like your attitude!!!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont know how I feel about companies ceasing the work day to talk about nothing and eat crap.

Its a form of team building and building a strong team. Everyone gets to know everyone and the team works more on a collaborative level. I think more offices should have time like that and encourage employees to mingle even in the work setting. We are a much more productive team because of it.

really? Cause it looks like youre complaining about the problems its causing.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have to take Psyllium husk at least once a day. (not a purge thing, there is a reason) If I know there is going to be fancy food I take my fiber capsules, drink a complete butt ton of water for the next 30 min and then go check out the food. Usually, I can't eat much, that stuff blows up into a softball in your gullet.
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options

LOL. That last part cracked me up.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

I get the idea of doing team building, but why the fattening stuff?? Looks like a culture of "it's good to eat fattening stuff" to me....

Why not do the same and make a point of bringing in healthier eats, or do a real "team building" Friday now and then by going to an adventure/obstacle course, rock climbing/rappelling wall or rowing......something that is both "team building" and healthy....I just don't get the "lets eat fattening stuff " thing.....

As for temptations - just say no...I work in an office with career cookie pushers....who would go to the point of putting a plate with a huge slice of cake on my desk.... I go and say thank you to whoever made it, wrap it in a napkin and throw it in the garbage.... No feelings hurt and no crappy calories consumed....
    In the end YOU are responsible for your body, not the cookie pushers.....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If it fits into my calories I'll have a small treat, if it doesn't then I just say no and walk away!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I think your team building time is excellent! And good for you!

I just happen to be reading Charles Duhigg's book "The Power of Habit" - for me the most fascinating nugget was "sometimes a cookie is not just a cookie" - the cookie analogy video starts at 3:50 minutes - but the whole video is cool too http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/9538
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am an avoider...and as we speak there are brownies in the "break room" which is the only way to head out to the bathroom...or worse yet...to get my water! I heard some of the gals talking about the fact that almost a full cup of oil was used in making the brownies...so THAT is helping me avoid THAT particular treat. I did indulge in a homemade slice of blueberry bread (more like a pudding moist very airy pound cake!) I logged it. I avoid the room as much as I can. I partake sometimes. I TRY really hard to NOT give in to temptation because I know it just opens the floodgate to addictive binging for me.

SO...since avoiding doesn't work for you because of the benefits of the social aspects of the "meeting"...Pick up a piece of whatever, lick the top to make it moist and slap it on your body in the most likely place of fat storage. (for me, I lick the top and pretend to stick it to my belly or hip because I know darn well it won't show up on my boobs!) THIS is a tactic that I use when someone is pushing food on me...usually gets a good laugh and dispells the stress of the situation and is a great visual to them as to WHY I am turning it down. For me, when I am alone, it is the visual I need to realize that nothing tastes as good as healthy FEELS!

Note: It washes off easier if applied externally than it exercises off if taken internally...
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    the way i see it there are a few options. participate but only eat a small amount of each treat. you may be able to work it into your daily calories. participate, but bring a cup of tea with you while they eat. if you want to bring a healthy snack, do that. maybe tell them what you're doing if they are at all supportive. or don't go. pretty much everyone is pushing food this time of year so it's hard to stay away. good luck