My boyfriend is TOO SKINNY. Help!!

Options
Here's the deal. I need some advice for what to do with my boyfriend - he's always been SKINNY, but with some recent added stress, he has dropped from about 130 to 122. (He's 5'10" and 22.)

I'm maintaining/losing very slowly and I'm happy with that, and since I often cook for both of us and also do the grocery shopping (we live together) I'm worried that I'm not doing something I could be to help him maintain a healthy weight. Usually I make eggs and toast for breakfast with bacon sometimes, pack a lunch of about 800 calories, and we make dinner together that's a high protein dinner.

He doesn't work out. He's a full time student and he has a part time job, and he also is a French Horn major auditioning for graduate programs, so he's practicing in every ounce of spare time he has.

What can I do? Should I try to get him to go to the doctor? Is it that severe? He doesn't think it's a problem.

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Feed him peanut butter and full-fat dairy? I think he should probably see a doctor to rule out other problems. My ex was 145 lbs at 6'4" from an undiagnosed medical problem a few years ago.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Feed him peanut butter and full-fat dairy?

That's what I do on days I have long runs and don't feel like eating 4000 calories. You need calorie dense foods. Peanut butter, almonds, full fat dairy milk/cheese are just some but those are really good places to start. Most people love these foods.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

Someone had to say it right?
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Has he ever complained of any stomach issues? He may have a digestive issue or intolerance to something and not even know it. Could also be a malabsorption issue, definitely things to have checked out!
  • EatingRight123
    Options
    3 double cheeseburger, 3 junior chicken, double bigmac combo with large fries and nondiet drink + large mcdonalds milkshake.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I saw an infomercial the other night that claimed to help guys gain girth. You just take a pill. It was on Spike channel, I think, around 3am. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it, and let you know. Good luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough. Plain and simple.

Solution: eat more.

In the case where a person does not feel the need to eat more, they should choose higher calorie alternatives. Whole milk instead of skim milk for example, or whole eggs instead of egg whites.

Tell him no sex till he's 140. He'll make it happen.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'd also say get him to see a doctor to rule out more serious issues. If it's just a calorie deficit and he can't eat enough to sustain his weight, look into meal replacement powders that he can make shakes with. My girlfriend has a similar issue and she uses those because she flat out gets sick of eating.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    throw his razors out. not shaving should lead him to realize he's a man and should be striving to weight about 200 pounds for his height.
    buy him the 5/3/1 ebook and a gym membership.
    load him up on chocolate milk.

but seriously get him into lifting and make him eat
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Cover yourself in chocolate. LOTS OF CHOCOLATE.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I dont normally like those mass gainer shakes but they are useful for people who just cant seem to get enough calories from regular eating. See if he is interested in those.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I saw an infomercial the other night that claimed to help guys gain girth. You just take a pill. It was on Spike channel, I think, around 3am. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it, and let you know. Good luck!

Rofl.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "He doesn't think it's a problem."

Then no "eat more" solution is going to help. This is the part that you don't get to control. You don't get to "feed him" if he doesn't want to eat. You can express your concern to him but you can't make a doctor's appointment for him.

I think offering calorie dense foods is a good idea and also to continue letting him know your concern. But beyond that he's a human being who makes his own choices...
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great for concentrated healthy calories. Nearly 200 per ounce. But balanced with other sources because too much can cause painful intestinal blocks.

Large Meat Lover's Pizza with Extra cheese is good too :)
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Just break up.

pretty legit answer to all of life's toughest questions.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to get him to drink something like boost or slimfast (meal replacement) drinks as a snack in addition to what he is already eating. Also, try cooking with olive oil and adding nuts and other healthy fats to his diet. Clif mojo bars are great too.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've threatened to hook the BF up to a butter and lard IV, I also regularly joke about adding extra oil and butter into his dinner (which I don't, but am heavily contemplating). I strongly encourage ice cream and extra treats. He needs the calories, his medicine caused him to lose almost 50lbs. He's not unhealthy, just super skinny.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Pack things like nuts for snacks for him. For small amounts they pack a lot of calories.

If you are the main one doing the cooking maybe cook something extra that is higher calories for him. Serve him a lot more of what you cook. Cook higher calorie side dishes and plate him a large serving. Things like potatoes with the fixings, cream sauces for meats, high cal salad dressings with oils, etc can help. There are tons of ways to sneak in extra calories for him to have.

Something simple as packing him a container of cashews, walnuts, peanuts, etc (if neither of you are allergic) can add an extra 500 plus calories a day if he eats them for a very small amount of calories.