Suggestions to increase protein intake?

Options
I'd love to hear suggestions to get in more protein. I am a self confessed carb junky and need to adjust my macronutrient ratios.

Replies

• dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    Meat, Beans, Cheese, Milk, Peanut Butter, Whey protein are some examples of protein sources. Some will make it harder to hit your total macro numbers than others, so your optimal choice of increasing just protein is with a very lean meat such as chicken breast, or whey protein, i.e if your goal is to increase protein and not have other macros be greatly affected.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use chicken, turkey, and canned tuna.
    I somehow manage to get my 230g a day on a workout day from that...
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, hemp seeds, edamame, protein powder, milk, any kind of meat, fish, seafood...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, peas, tuna, cottage cheese, any type of meat, whole wheat pasta and bread has more protein than regular white pasta and bread so you could have that with your meal to up the protein too.
  • Raya1980
    Options
    I mix spinach in almost everything I eat.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I use lots of lean meats like chicken, turkey and lean beef. For snacks I try to do nuts, protein drinks, or bars that have a good protein ratio. I was a lifelong carb junkie so I know your battle. Also, your body still needs carbs, just try to do clean carbs and avoid the bad carbs and that will also help a lot too. Good luck!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use chicken, turkey, and canned tuna.
    I somehow manage to get my 230g a day on a workout day from that...
    you eat that many grams of protein??? How the HECK do you do that???? I struggle lol
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Base every meals around protein and veggies, add the carbs on at the end instead of starting with a substantial portion of pasta/ cereal/ rice/ bread and wondering what to have with that. Females particularly often don't have protein at breakfast and many don't have much at lunch either. Start the day with eggs, cottage, cheese, bacon, almonds, peanuts, low fat soft cheese or a combination thereof.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, greek yogurt, string cheese, hemp seeds, edamame, protein powder, milk, any kind of meat, fish, seafood...

you actually eat those?
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread. I've been looking for a way to boost my protein counts without making the carbs climb through the roof. I just have problems with breakfast. I HATE mornings with a passion, and have 8 am classes, which makes cereal so appealing! Any ideas for overnight (or VERY fast fix) breakfasts that would help along the way, and don't include cottage cheese? (About the only cheese I CAN'T stand.)
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like cashews, almonds, Fage 0% yogurt, sardines (yep, love 'em) and lots of salmon and halibut.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my diet to reduce my protein. I was going by MFP's recommended protein values. According to my report, I was eating too much protein so now I'm trying to keep it within 50-65 grams a day. Is this enough?
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    24 OZ of chicken before you eat lunch
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    @ambervaldez79

Depends on which lifestyle plan you are looking at. And, what you feel best with. If I get too carb heavy, I am always tired and "loggy", but if I keep my protein counts high, I feel like I could bounce around the world without stopping.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are the simplest whey to ingest more protein. They easiest way to cut back on your carbs is to try and limit your gluten intake, bread, pasta, etc. Also avoid pop, juice, or any other sugary beverage. Yes, 100% fruit juice is a sugary beverage as far as your body is concerned
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

you actually eat those?

I sometimes eat granola with hemp seeds in it. And just last week I was grocery shopping wih my husband and he pointed out the high protein content of hemp seeds.
    They consist of about a third protein (30g have 11g of protein).
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Canned Sardines. I love 'em. They make a great protein snack!! High in omega 3's, fatty acids.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

you actually eat those?

I eat them every day. They are nutrient rich, being primarily made up of essential fatty acids and protein.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If I'm pretty full and need more protein I'll have a quest bar. Around 200 calories and 20g of protein. (and a rediculous amount of fiber if you're looking for that.)
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few ideas on here...add protein powder or cottage cheese to things. I stirred cottage cheese into my spaghetti sauce the other day and it was actually pretty good! Got extra calcium too.