Suggestions to increase protein intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Meat, Beans, Cheese, Milk, Peanut Butter, Whey protein are some examples of protein sources. Some will make it harder to hit your total macro numbers than others, so your optimal choice of increasing just protein is with a very lean meat such as chicken breast, or whey protein, i.e if your goal is to increase protein and not have other macros be greatly affected.

Nice answer!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I eat half my body weight in protein. The only way I can do it is to plan my meals in advance, and try to get each one to 20 grams of protein. I eat a lot of eggs/egg whites, boneless/skinless chicken, protein shakes with low carbs, cheese, peanut butter, and my gluten free bread has omega 3's and flax added to it.
  • elliottsmith
    Options
    I use, whey protein (big surprise), tuna, tilapia, EGG WHITES, don't forget to make egg white in a carton too.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my diet to reduce my protein. I was going by MFP's recommended protein values. According to my report, I was eating too much protein so now I'm trying to keep it within 50-65 grams a day. Is this enough?

I think the numbers on MFP for protein are too low, but it depends on your lifestyle. I wasn't loosing weight until I up'd my protein to 90grams (half my body weight). Also, protein helps keep you full- so that's helpful.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    May I suggest an article ?

Protein - it's just not all about meat

www.GetWithItForLife.com/blog
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dannon has an 80 calorie Strawberry Greek yogurt that I use as my "dessert". :-)
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use 10oz 100% liquid egg whites with 2cups of protein powerder and that gives me around 83g of protein in one cup. Then I will eat turkey, chicken, rabbit, salmon and albacore tuna low sodium in the can.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are the simplest whey to ingest more protein.

I see what you did there :laugh:
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I eat something like 200g protein within 1800 calories per day (I recently upped my calories to 2300 on heavy lifting days so I guess I'll be eating a little more protein those days too).

Chicken breasts, tuna, lean pork loin, tuna steaks, whole eggs/egg whites, nuts, and protein powder (and some days just MEAT: lamb, beef tenderloin etc).

Quinoa, buckwheat, and soy are veg complete proteins, and combining beans and nuts, beans and seeds, or beans and grains completes their protein as well. :-) New studies even show that the foods can be combined within a two day period to be used as complete proteins... (i.e. beans for dinner one night and grains the next night can STILL function together as a complete protein).
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, eggs, milk, peanut butter (if your calories allow it), protein powder, chicken, turkey, lean ground beef, fish, string cheese, greek yogurt.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    May I suggest an article ?

Protein - it's just not all about meat

www.GetWithItForLife.com/blog

Huh. I get most of my protein from meat in the evening.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I use chicken, turkey, and canned tuna.
    I somehow manage to get my 230g a day on a workout day from that...
    you eat that many grams of protein??? How the HECK do you do that???? I struggle lol

I hit about +200 every day...I eat ALOT of chicken, greek yogurt, steak, fish, protein powder, avocado, cottage cheese, etc etc...

if you have 6 oz chicken breast, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt for lunch that will get you to about 70grams of protein in one meal....
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    bump
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    lean meats like grilled chicken, 99% ground turkey or tuna fish
    add protein powder to your yogurt
    try a taste less protein powder like invisawhey by twinlab to sprinkle on vegetables (extra 10 grams of protein for every 2 tbsp!)
    beans, lentils
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt (plain, fat free)
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few ideas on here...add protein powder or cottage cheese to things. I stirred cottage cheese into my spaghetti sauce the other day and it was actually pretty good! Got extra calcium too.

Ooh, I never thought of that! Great idea!