Tell me straight with rules i can trust.

Options
I dont want to know about TDEE NET BMR. This confuses me. I dont want weight loss to take over my life.
Therefore I want some straight forward advice and help that works :)

Here's a bit about me.

Ive been on countless diets. Herbalife, Slimming World, Strict Calorie Restriction. I was on MFP for a year. Continuously changing calorie goals as I never knew where I should be. I lost about 4lb. Ive kept it off. Luckily.

Now Im back.

Im 5ft 9
I weigh 151lb
I want to weigh 140lb
I have 11lb to loose.

I sit on my bum day long. I get up. Work out for about 50/60 minutes, mixture of cardio/weights. I sit down for 8 hours on the phone. I drive home. I sit down. Im pretty lazy like that. But thats my job now, which I hate!

Ideally I would like to work out 3/4 times a week. Any more than this I get tired and ratty and simply, its hard work getting up at 5am 5 times a week. I want to enjoy weightloss, exercise and eating.

I like to have a drink on the weekend, I like to eat out with my boyfriend/friends and not be restricted.
I am a chocoholic.

Please someone tell me how many calories I should be eating enough for me to loose continously on a weekly basis.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. You still have enough weight on you that it will progress quicker than if you only had 15 or 10 to lose - so the scale not moving wont really discourage you.

2. If you are eating less than 1500 calories a day, NOW you get to amp it up and eat more!!! YAY!!!!!

3. Get your BMR calculated and be honest about how active you are when you arent exercising. here is an amazingly easy 1-2-3-4 one :D Height, weight, age, sex - calculate! Your BMR is how much gas you need just to turn on the car and get to and from work, ok? So its how many calories your body requires just to get the vital crap done and sleep. Not workouts- just organs and peeing- got it?

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

4. Now you get your TDEE - this a sciency looking set of letters that mean - THIS IS ABOUT HOW MUCH I BURN ON THE REGS, WALKING AROUND, WORKING OUT, HAVING SEX, CLEANING MY HOUSE, ETC.

Its not a big bro-science bit of too confusing rubbish- its honestly just the total energy you expend in a day.

Make sense? BMR is how much gas you need to go to work, TDEE is how much gas you used all day cause you didnt just go to work, you went shopping and then out with your friends and probably wal-mart ugh

You can find out your TDEE here! and I'll explain why in a minute!: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html or here to be more specific and get a more accurate number: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

5. Now - SUBTRACT your BMR from your TDEE

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

Now Im going to split that difference in half - 665.

SO Im going to put 665 extra calories in my BMR (1570) tank each day. 1570 + 665 = 2,235 calories to eat for the day.

Why??? Why would I eat MORE than my BMR to lose weight??

5. Now you get to put all the slave driving falling off the elliptical boring as hell cardio on the shelf :D

NOW you get to finish an entire workout in only 30 minutes or so (not including warm up and stretching) and be done at the gym!!

Now you get to start making sure that when all the weight is gone, the body underneath is the one you want - not just a smaller one with loose skin hanging off a droopy booty, know what I mean?? Now its time to enjoy making sure you look great naked too!!!

NOW you get squeeze all that tricky deceptive fat out of the way of your gorgeous muscular system and half the pretty muscles get shaped and the rest of the muscles shrink down to a leaner all over situation on your body.

If you find you have a lot of extra weight on your upper and lower back, your love handles, your gut, your boobs and thighs.... then you gotta jump into weight lifting with the rest of us and a good cardio session like once a week.

The weight lifting will whittle you down (believe me!!!) and AND improve your cardio when you switch back to it.

If you have NO clue where to start - get this book - The New Rules of Lifting for Women and actually read it (cause its actually a good fun read and Im not good with sciencey books keeping my attenti...OOH SHINY!) Ive read it a couple times and Im still amazed.

Come over to the dark side and lift with the rest of us that are tired of killing ourselves and not making progress.

We want you here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1700 gross calories, do not eat back exercise calories. Or you can do 1600 calories daily for 6 days and then one day of 2300 calories. But depending on your workout routine other eating habits, you may or may not see results.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You need to do the calculation, and even with the calculation it isn't 100% by any means. You'll have to test it out for a few months, at varying calorie levels, and see what works for you. It took me a year to really know how many calories to maintain, and even then it changes depending on my workout schedule. It isn't an exact science.

I like this website for calculating calorie goals. I find it to be relatively accurate. http://freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Please someone tell me how many calories I should be eating enough for me to loose continously on a weekly basis.

Nobody can tell you an exact amount, you have to try an amount and give it several weeks, then make adjustments as necessary.

1500-1600 seems like a reasonable starting point.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Stay at 1800 cals or below. Eat lots of fruit, veg, fish, meat and a moderate amount of nuts. Lift heavy weights.
  • BoricuaGabe
    Options
    You need to do the calculation, and even with the calculation it isn't 100% by any means. You'll have to test it out for a few months, at varying calorie levels, and see what works for you. It took me a year to really know how many calories to maintain, and even then it changes depending on my workout schedule. It isn't an exact science.

I like this website for calculating calorie goals. I find it to be relatively accurate. http://freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

^I was gonna add to this but she pretty much said anything I was gonna say. The calorie part is something you have to discover yourself. Not everyone is the same. You have to try different diets. For example: If I'm trying to lose weight, I've noticed that if i go over 150 carbs, my weight loss really slows down. For some other people, it won't.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You're quite close to where you'd like to be in no time you'll be there!!!

Keep focused
    Eat clean
    Incorporate green tea to your daily regimen
    Drink water
    Log the foods you eat
    Have protein at every meal
    Be positive & determined

It's not all about the calories it's about eating the right foods and the proper portions
  • ChunkyCharly
    Options
    1. You still have enough weight on you that it will progress quicker than if you only had 15 or 10 to lose - so the scale not moving wont really discourage you.

2. If you are eating less than 1500 calories a day, NOW you get to amp it up and eat more!!! YAY!!!!!

3. Get your BMR calculated and be honest about how active you are when you arent exercising. here is an amazingly easy 1-2-3-4 one :D Height, weight, age, sex - calculate! Your BMR is how much gas you need just to turn on the car and get to and from work, ok? So its how many calories your body requires just to get the vital crap done and sleep. Not workouts- just organs and peeing- got it?

4. Now you get your TDEE - this a sciency looking set of letters that mean - THIS IS ABOUT HOW MUCH I BURN ON THE REGS, WALKING AROUND, WORKING OUT, HAVING SEX, CLEANING MY HOUSE, ETC.

Its not a big bro-science bit of too confusing rubbish- its honestly just the total energy you expend in a day.

Make sense? BMR is how much gas you need to go to work, TDEE is how much gas you used all day cause you didnt just go to work, you went shopping and then out with your friends and probably wal-mart ugh

You can find out your TDEE here! and I'll explain why in a minute!: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html or here to be more specific and get a more accurate number: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

SO Im going to put 665 extra calories in my BMR (1570) tank each day. 1570 + 665 = 2,235 calories to eat for the day.

5. Now you get to put all the slave driving falling off the elliptical boring as hell cardio on the shelf :D

NOW you get to finish an entire workout in only 30 minutes or so (not including warm up and stretching) and be done at the gym!!

Now you get to start making sure that when all the weight is gone, the body underneath is the one you want - not just a smaller one with loose skin hanging off a droopy booty, know what I mean?? Now its time to enjoy making sure you look great naked too!!!

NOW you get squeeze all that tricky deceptive fat out of the way of your gorgeous muscular system and half the pretty muscles get shaped and the rest of the muscles shrink down to a leaner all over situation on your body.

If you find you have a lot of extra weight on your upper and lower back, your love handles, your gut, your boobs and thighs.... then you gotta jump into weight lifting with the rest of us and a good cardio session like once a week.

The weight lifting will whittle you down (believe me!!!) and AND improve your cardio when you switch back to it.

If you have NO clue where to start - get this book - The New Rules of Lifting for Women and actually read it (cause its actually a good fun read and Im not good with sciencey books keeping my attenti...OOH SHINY!) Ive read it a couple times and Im still amazed.

Come over to the dark side and lift with the rest of us that are tired of killing ourselves and not making progress.

We want you here.

I love this i just dont really understand it.
  • ChunkyCharly
    Options
    1700 gross calories, do not eat back exercise calories. Or you can do 1600 calories daily for 6 days and then one day of 2300 calories. But depending on your workout routine other eating habits, you may or may not see results.

Im liking this idea. Athough what do you mean 'depending on workout routine other eating habits you may not see results. Do you mean as in type of food?

Can I add you please?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

We want you here.

That is why I ran the numbers for you.. just eat around 1700. If you don't lose 2 lbs in the month, then take 100 calories away or evaluate what you are eating.
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Get moving
    ** Exercise - cardio & weights
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This site...

...Shows a BMR for you of 1528.

If you are truly sitting on your bum all day, not cooking or cleaning or walking at all, then you multiply that by 1.2 to get to 1833 for a TDEE. With so little to lose, you want only a small deficit, which would give you about 1600 calories a day. That would be about in the middle of what Fire Rock and psulemon are estimating.

And Fire Rock is correct that you need to give it time. Try 1600 calories for about six weeks. Take pictures of yourself. Take measurements of your neck, both arms, chest, waist (at the smallest part), hips (at the widest part), and both legs at your upper thigh, about an inch about your knee and your calves at the widest point. After six weeks at 1600 calories, take new pictures (wearing the same clothes) and take your measurements again and weigh yourself. If you see improvement, then stick with it. Otherwise, adjust as necessary based on your experience.

:flowerforyou:
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow, do we work at the same job? Sounds like me, LOL!

I watch my net carb intake, and try to stay below 1705 calories a day. 1705 is my BMR (Base Metabolic Rate, or how much/little I'd have to consume to maintain my current weight without doing anything - ie, laying in bed all day. I figure that's a good number to focus on for loss - if I'm moving, I should lose!). I try to go to the gym at least 3x a week after work. Last week I went every day, AND came back to work in the evening after the gym for mandatory overtime (God I hate the phones). Friend me if you'd like to talk more! :smile:
  • yoovie
    Options

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

We want you here.

did you decide you didnt understand it before you read it? Cause I cant dumb it down more than if youre going farther than you can get on one tank of gas, add more gas

i honestly dont understand at all how i can make it simpler.

Calculate your BMR on an online calculator that does it for you.
    calculate your TDEE on an online calculator that does it for you.
    Eat halfway between them.
    Lift heavy.
    Dont lean too hard on cardio.
  • yoovie
    Options
    You know what? I know you just added me, but Im removing you from my friends list already. If you dont want to put in the effort to learn and understand and comprehend, and you would rather just make other people tell you all the answers, then you don't deserve the results either.
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

We want you here.

THIS is fantastic, Thank you!!!
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You know what? I know you just added me, but Im removing you from my friends list already. If you dont want to put in the effort to learn and understand and comprehend, and you would rather just make other people tell you all the answers, then you don't deserve the results either.

You are just so awesome. So easy to comprehend. So easy to see YOUR results. She has a whole list of things that she has tried and failed at. This is just another new year plan. Anyway, I run across you occasionally in the forums and just wanted to say that you are very inspirational. I started lifting heavy on 10-17-12 and the difference in my body shape is incredible! Even though I still have some more to lose, I can feel the muscles under the skin now and the skin is bouncing back. No hanging skin for me!! I can't wait to lose the rest and see the amazing body waiting for me underneath the old me. It may take longer - but I can wait!! Thanks for always trying to help people! :drinker:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    lol
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options

My BMR is 1570
    My TDEE is 2900

The difference is 1330.

We want you here.

That was amazing advice!