Saying good-bye to Milk....

Options
Went to the doctor the other day, and looks like I am lactose intolerance. I already replaced my milk with almond milk. Any other ideas? I know cheese is out for sure lol

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is a great alternative as well. You can even buy coconut milk ice cream too. Good luck ;)
  • peridot1383
    peridot1383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance as well and I've noticed that mozzarella doesn't really bother me. You should be careful with yogurts and coffee creamer. Coffeemate makes lactose free creamers.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance as well and I've noticed that mozzarella doesn't really bother me. You should be careful with yogurts and coffee creamer. Coffeemate makes lactose free creamers.

Thanks so much I was grumbling about my coffee lol
  • starjewel16
    starjewel16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had to do this with my toddler, remember that most milk alternatives don't have a lot of protein. Soymilk does, but that depends on whether you want to be eating/drinking a lot of soy products. If you drink almond/coconut/rice milks, make sure you are upping your protein through other sources.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i love vanilla soy milk :) only 100 calorie !
  • meeper123
    Options
    Coconut milk is a great alternative as well. You can even buy coconut milk ice cream too. Good luck ;)

Yeay!! I will do that :D
  • meeper123
    Options
    i love vanilla soy milk :) only 100 calorie !

will try that too :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, hemp seed milk, coconut milk, and probably a few others i'm missing. For cheese, there is a tapioca based cheese called daiya cheese.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I had to do this with my toddler, remember that most milk alternatives don't have a lot of protein. Soymilk does, but that depends on whether you want to be eating/drinking a lot of soy products. If you drink almond/coconut/rice milks, make sure you are upping your protein through other sources.

See I didn't know that. I will have to add some walnuts or something to my cereal
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I was raised on a few soy products so it didn't hurt too much. I switched my milk to soy milk - stick with either Silk Soy Light (60cal - 1 cup) or Silk Soy with DH3 (110cal - 1cup) - and both have more calcium then milk.

I can't find soy cheese where I'm at, but where I lived before had it and they were pretty good.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My son is lactose intolerant and we've found a lot of great products. The best I've found are lactose free ice cream and also cream cheese. I use Lactaid brand milk for cooking any recipe that calls for milk or cream and have even been able to feed him chowders. He doesnt love the Lacaid tablets but the GNC brand product has been good.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    melted cheese
  • Rocbola
    Options

Thanks so much I was grumbling about my coffee lol
    When i cut out dairy, i was upset about drinking it without creamer, but i have found that soy creamer isn't too bad, and if you use chocolate almond milk, it makes your coffee into a mocha-type coffee.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've had good success with the lactaze digestive enzyme tablets.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    how does it affect you. my fiancee is lactose intolerant and he still partakes of certain treats. suffers some gas and such. Cut back as much as possible and try lactaid for things u wish to still enjoy
  • beandawgy
    Options
    Someone else posted...Lactose free milk?
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant as well. I can handle dairy products (although they do make me gassy :blushing: ) but if I drank a cup of milk it would be WW3! I have recently discovered soy cheese.. It does not taste the same but it melts beautifully and is something I can get used to. Nowadays, there are alternatives to everything. Usually, if you go in the organic section of your grocery store they carry a lot of soy-based products and alternatives to dairy
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    * On lactaze* (lactose free milk) my mom used to make me drink that stuff growing up and they replace the sugar found in milk (lactose) with regular sugar, it gives the milk a very sweet taste which I grew to strongly dislike. It kind of tastes like the milk left in a cereal bowl.. I suggest sticking to unsweetened almond milk, much more palatable! :)
  • Rocbola
    Options
    melted cheese
    It's people like this that make MFP such a juvenile place. This is not a reply to the OP, to any previous comment and it doesn't add any value to the conversation.