Smoker?

Options
Anyone else a smoker ? I smoke like 1 pack every 3-4 days and I have been trying to quit. How have you done it? I need encouragement and help please!! Thank you. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• StarryOne
    StarryOne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was a half a pack a day smoker for 15 years. Recently I read the book by Allan Carr called "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" and upon finishing the book I haven't smoked a single cigarette. I just stopped. Haven't had a major craving, haven't gained weight, haven't gotten sick- just stopped being a smoker. Now, six weeks later, I am running further, exercising harder, and I feel a million times better. It might just work for you? The book is $10 on Amazon, hard not to find that kind of money to at least try it.
  • nayeliscastellanos
    Options
    Thank you so much. I love to read. I will give this book a try. :) Congratulations on your success. It gives me faith that I can too stop. :)
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How do people actually get into smoking ever since the 90s it's pretty much common knowledge it's suicide...
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I don't smoke, but my coworker did and was able to quit by gradually cutting back. He made several attempts and when he did finally kick the habit we had a party to celebrate. Good luck!
  • Jennifer076
    Jennifer076 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I smoke as well,and would love to quit. I have made several attempts but have failed.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Alan Carr's book like above. Read it. I smoked about the same as you (about 4 days to a pack) Been a non-smoker for 4 months tomorrow and didn't gain any weight ( Haven't really lost any either :grumble: ) Good Luck!

P.S. I got the book out of the local library
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for almost 6 years. I quit 3 months ago using an E-cig. Just nicotine and water vapor. And you can buy the liquids with lower and lower nicotine levels to eventually cut it out entirely. I haven't had a single one since and it was the second best decision of my life. (Besides the eating lifestyle change of course.) My workouts are so much better and now I can actually run. :love:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Anyone else a smoker ? I smoke like 1 pack every 3-4 days and I have been trying to quit. How have you done it? I need encouragement and help please!! Thank you. Feel free to add me.

Allen Carr's book did it for me. it was my third attempt, and that one was much simpler than the previous attempts. book is called "the easy way to stop smoking." i quit June 16th of 2008.
  • Coclarke
    Coclarke Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I use to smoke about the same as you. I recently quit about a month ago (this past Saturday). I stopped with lolli pops and gum. I guess I replaced one habit with the next. But I wouldn't overdue it because those calories do add up! Water is a big help too, but the most important thing to remember is that everyday your cravings lessen. The key is to get out of the routine that you have with cigarettes. Feel free to add me as a friend : )
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I used to smoke 1/2 to 1 pack everyday but right now I only smoke 2-3 cigarettes a day. I'm also trying to quit & tried doing it cold turkey but I found out that didn't work for me coz of my raging appetite. I absolutely hate gaining weight & which is why I would rather go very slow so that my body will have easier time adjusting to the fewer doses of cigarettes until I will get used to none.
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I usually smoke between 14-28 grams per week. ...Well lately I've been vaping and baking so I guess I'm a cheater. Gotta keep them runner lungs!
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    I used to have a pack a day habit for years. During one time I was "cutting down" to less than half a pack a day was the same time I started to exercise. The more I started to fall in love with exercising, the more smoking became painful and unpleasant. Now I can't even be in closed off spaces with smokers (like a car for example) without feeling sick. In a way, I miss smoking, but every time I'm near a smoker I feel physical pain. So yeah, exercise.
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I smoke. 1 pack generally lasts me a week, unless I'm competing(horse show) or drinking heavily. I'm not really interested in quitting, I figured I'll phase out of it when I'm ready.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Allan Carr's book.
    I smoked from the age of 13 to 32.
    I've tried the patch, gum, zyban, chantix, cold turkey, and a million other things.

I finished that book, lit my last cigarette, took one puff, shrugged, put it out, and have not looked back once.

Worth the $7, I'd say.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Used to...about a pack a day....
    5 days in the hospital finding out I have Type 2 Diabetes did it for me...at the time my wife was pregnant with my Son. He's 21-months now and it's been 2 years since I quit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I smoke. I'm not really interested in quitting, I figured I'll phase out of it when I'm ready.

or dead
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I quit after MANY years! It took my cousin having a major heart attack, and dying during surgery (he was revived) to quit and never look back! He is only two months older than me; thin, and muscular. Cardiologist told him it was smoking and family history. Two strikes against me!! I vape every once in a while, but I use the non-nicotine liquids. I don't ever even crave them, to be honest, and the smell of it makes me gag now. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • samerzz16
    Options
    Smoking is definitely a tough thing to quit but possible! My dad used to smoke a pack a day and honestly with him, he quit cold turkey. Sure this method takes a lot of motivation and a lot of fighting to stay off the smokes but it has been about 15 years now since he quit and he never looked back. I think its harder to gradually cut back then to just quit cold turkey because when your cutting back, in the back of your mind you know you can always just take out a cig and smoke it. What I learned in med school about finding out how likely it is for a patient to quit smoking is to see how much motivation they have to even attempt to quit. Im sure you already know how bad smoking is, but I know you can do it! Be strong and push through. Dont let a bad habit control your life and how its going to be lived.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Smoking is definitely a tough thing to quit but possible! My dad used to smoke a pack a day and honestly with him, he quit cold turkey. Sure this method takes a lot of motivation and a lot of fighting to stay off the smokes but it has been about 15 years now since he quit and he never looked back. I think its harder to gradually cut back then to just quit cold turkey because when your cutting back, in the back of your mind you know you can always just take out a cig and smoke it. What I learned in med school about finding out how likely it is for a patient to quit smoking is to see how much motivation they have to even attempt to quit. Im sure you already know how bad smoking is, but I know you can do it! Be strong and push through. Dont let a bad habit control your life and how its going to be lived.
    It depends from person to person. I tried doing it cold turkey before but that method didn't work for me. My appetite was totally out of control. And I don't want to gain weight, I don't care if the benefits far outweigh the weight gain. I've worked my butt off to lose those 22 kilos or 50 pounds & I don't want to put it all to waste and go back to where I started. So for me gradually cutting back is so far what works for me.
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I smoke. I'm not really interested in quitting, I figured I'll phase out of it when I'm ready.

or dead

No really, I smoked for like a year when I was 19, woke up one day and didn't want a cigarette- I didn't pick it up again until I was 21 and I'm already smoking less and less.