Fit girl rant

Options
So after struggling with the idea that "strong is the new skinny", I'm finally starting to accept that being "healthy" is more attractive than being skinny. I've been all over the map and been called every name- in high school I was super fit and muscular because I really wanted to do physique competitions and catty girls (and boys) started calling me a man. I got self conscious and stopped working out, I moved out of my parents house and starting partying a lot and gained quite a bit of weight while in a relationship. That ended and I got sick, which I don't really want to go into, but after a couple years, suddenly, I was "too skinny", I started taking better care of myself, gained some weight (too much I think), mostly thanks to great relationship I'm in right now. So here I am trying to find the happy medium and learn how to feel good about myself and be healthy at the same time. Dana Lynn Bailey is someone that inspires me a lot and tonight after my first CrossFit training session, I shared one of her Facebook photos. Now I'm reading through all the back-lash, all from men going on about how gross she is. I'm taking their critique of her personally and it's making want to do some not-so-healthy things.
Ugh, so frustrated.

There wasn't really any point to this other than ranting- hopefully to an audience that shares my frustration with body image and expectations, be them self appointed or otherwise.

Hope you all having a good day!

Replies

• sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well....I'm not sure if it's because I'm happily married ( and have been for 10 years), or if I just don't give a rat's *kitten* what other men think about my body...but....I don't give a rat's *kitten*. Honestly, most of the people I know IRL find moderately muscular people (men and women alike) healthy and attractive looking. My husband, for one, is soooo not into "skinny" girls, so maybe that helps too.

At the place I am in my life, I feel like I WANT to feel, look and be strong! I need good, strong muscles to keep me healthy and live a long, happy life!

I also LOVE food and I LOVE to eat. I love it more than I love the idea of being "thin" or "skinny". So....since I've found a happy medium where I can work out, improve my body composition and EAT a lot of really good food....I am a happy camper, regardless of what others perceptions of my body might be!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic and as long as you love the way that you look it is all that matters!
  • steelmaggie228
    steelmaggie228 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take everyone else's(men and women) opinions so seriously, more than my own. I've always been that way. I have no idea how to think for myself about myself physically.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I take everyone else's(men and women) opinions so seriously, more than my own. I've always been that way. I have no idea how to think for myself about myself physically.

Maybe get this sorted out before you decide what ftness path to take?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    tumblr_md4kois8Hp1rhcrvlo1_1280.jpg

Saw this on a blog the other day and it made me reeeeally mad.

Its always a free-for-all on FB and even on this site to bash fit/muscular women and its extremely sad.

heres the link: http://shirtlessncomfortable.tumblr.com/image/35205607952
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about what other people think, I know I know that's what everyone says but it is true. And personally I would rather be more muscular rather then very skinny.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Its always a free-for-all on FB and even on this site to bash fit/muscular women and its extremely sad.

I think her abs are awesome!!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what people say, people are full of negativity when it comes to other people's bodies. I find a lot of men are intimidated by fit women and think it's silly that a woman is trying to "be as good as a man, when she should be in the kitchen." Those kind of guys... They try to hide those thoughts, but it becomes evident in their comments. They always try to put down female athletes or make fun of female hockey or female basketball. It's all sexism... unless an athlete has a gorgeous face & big boobs, then they treat her like a piece of meat. But also what people don't understand is that for photo shoots, fit people often get tans & dehydrate their bodies to look super muscular. IRL, they look like attractive normal people who are not clenching every muscle in their body at all times. The Victoria Secret models that men are in love with probably workout like crazy and they go on starvation diets days before their shows. What people are accustomed to seeing on tv is not healthy or normal... super skinny with breast implants, or being able to see bones is NOT healthy. In fact, underweight people are the ones that tend to look skeletal and creepy in person. I'd say don't listen to that negativity... When you do get that body that you want, you'll get tons of compliments flowing in! and all those guys will be a little bit more insecure about themselves. You don't want to attract guys that prefer skinny unhealthy women anyway, attract a guy who will appreciate your hard work, dedication & awesome results! I'm sure your boyfriend supports you in this.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

You're 22? Give yourself five more years of torturing yourself over it... that should about leave you fed up with everyone else's opinions. Eh... you'll be fine.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Screw what everyone thinks. I'm overweight and I want to be slim and muscular. I have shown my husband pictures of this woman I admire and he told me she looks like a man. I think she is gorgeous and i use her as my inspiration. If I want to be muscular he will have to get over it.
  • regraves
    regraves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Be the person you want to be, if others don't like it then leave em in the dust as you walk the road that you choose. There will always be people pulling you down and there will always be people helping you forward. Just gotta choose who you are going to listen to, but never forget that the only one that you truly have to answer to is yourself.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different preferences for body types. I know some girls who only like fat guys and can't stand skinny lanky guys. Or girls that don't like guys who are super built & veiny. I know guys who like fit "manly" girls with the abs & extra meat. There's guys who prefer small boobs, guys who prefer big boobs, etc. I'm sure there's a good portion of people who like the fit look but are scared to comment after all that negativity.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think you will really like this blog: http://www.baggagereclaim.co.uk/

Also, and I don't want to seem like I'm giving you advice or telling you what to do, but SCREW people who are only interested in you for your body, or interested in criticizing other people's bodies because YEAH, that's really important in this life.

I am sure you have a lot more to offer. You're not just some MEAT BAG. You're also a mind with interests and concerns and empathy for other people. That's what's ultimately important about you. The life of your mind.

Do things because you love them and because they make you feel strong and healthy. Don't do things so that you can look good in the eyes of so-and-so. In the grande scheme, that person's opinion isn't worth squat. Can I recommend that you try yoga? And not just for exercise. Yoga for internal insight, and learning to be in your body and be grateful for all the things it does for you day in and day out.
  • steelmaggie228
    Options

"I'd rather have boobs than abs."
    REALLY!? Even when I was heavy I didn't have much for boobs- at least you can buy those. Abs you have to work for.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You are so very beautiful; what a terrible shame that you had to go through that in your youth. I really, really sympathize with you and think its criminal that you were made to feel badly about pursuing a beautiful body.

But first and foremost, be healthy. I don't care if I have a **** for a nose, if that's what it takes for me to feel strong and well and to live a long time to care for those I love and accomplish those things that are important to me.

As far as the aesthetics that matter, it sounds like you don't have a strong personal preference. Cool. Then shoot for healthy and tailor your physique as you see fit.

Finally, get into therapy so that you can develop your own standards of beauty because there is no universal consensus!!!
  • anybeary
    Options
    Also, is that you in the three day event/show jumping photos? If so, that is absolutely BAD *kitten*, so everyone with boring thoughts about the way other people look can pretty much shove it. Can they do that? I don't think so.
  • kirk1115
    kirk1115 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You look great! I too stay depressed about the way I look. I get so impatient about losing the weight. I just keep thinking all of this eating clean and exercising every day isn't going to get me where I want to be, even though I am seeing everybody else's results. Plus it depresses me more that I work with a bunch of tooth picks. I use to, every once in a while, bottom out and drop my calories to 300-500 and eat as little carbs as possible. Because of all that craziness I have wasted a lot of my time. I just started MFP last week and I feel like I am finally on the right track I hope." I think I just get a little obsessive" :indifferent: I use to always be super thin and I guess gaining really makes me feel like I am no longer me.
  • steelmaggie228
    Options
    Also, is that you in the three day event/show jumping photos? If so, that is absolutely BAD *kitten*, so everyone with boring thoughts about the way other people look can pretty much shove it. Can they do that? I don't think so.

Yes that is me! That is my job, those are my horses. Best job ever :happy:
  • anybeary
    Options

Yes that is me! That is my job, those are my horses. Best job ever :happy:

That's awesome. Takes so much guts.
  • steelmaggie228
    Options
    You look great! I too stay depressed about the way I look. I get so impatient about losing the weight. I just keep thinking all of this eating clean and exercising every day isn't going to get me where I want to be, even though I am seeing everybody else's results. Plus it depresses me more that I work with a bunch of tooth picks. I use to, every once in a while, bottom out and drop my calories to 300-500 and eat as little carbs as possible. Because of all that craziness I have wasted a lot of my time. I just started MFP last week and I feel like I am finally on the right track I hope." I think I just get a little obsessive" :indifferent: I use to always be super thin and I guess gaining really makes me feel like I am no longer me.

You're like me.
    We can do it :flowerforyou: