YOGURT......

Options
Is yogurt good for you?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Good for you how? It's real, it's dairy, it has protein, it's as good as any other food.
  • shanewo
    Options
    Different people seem to have different answers. IMO, yes, but go for greek yogurt.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a sensitivity/allergy to it and it fits in with your calorie/macronutrient goals then yes.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I get the cheap kind lol it is 50 cents at Food Lion....The sugar count is 12 is that kind of high?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I get the cheap kind lol it is 50 cents at Food Lion....The sugar count is 12 is that kind of high?

If you don't have a sensitivity/allergy to it and it fits in with your calorie/macronutrient goals then no, it's not too high.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a sensitivity/allergy to it and it fits in with your calorie/macronutrient goals then yes.
    QFT
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "Good for you" and "healthy" are terms I really hate using because it's all relative. Some food that has a lot of crucial nutrients is high in calories, and lots of low-calorie non-fat foods have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Nutrition is about creating a balance. Can yogurt contribute to a healthy diet? Absolutely. It's a good source of protein and calcium. 12g is only a lot of sugar if your diet is already high in sugar.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    "Good for you" and "healthy" are terms I really hate using because it's all relative. Some food that has a lot of crucial nutrients is high in calories, and lots of low-calorie non-fat foods have absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Nutrition is about creating a balance. Can yogurt contribute to a healthy diet? Absolutely. It's a good source of protein and calcium. 12g is only a lot of sugar if your diet is already high in sugar.

I try to stay under 30g a day...I don't know how much we are suppose to take in..
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, it is if you choose the plain ones and add fruits and cereals to it, but if you buy fruits yogurt or that kind of stuff it's usually full of unhealthy stuff, sugars and ...well, i'd definitely recommend the plain one which is a diary, has protein in it and is low in calories :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options

I try to stay under 30g a day...I don't know how much we are suppose to take in..

My breakfast was 30 grams. lol

Some people believe sugar is evil and poisonous. I disagree.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Well, it is if you choose the plain ones and add fruits and cereals to it, but if you buy fruits yogurt or that kind of stuff it's usually full of unhealthy stuff, sugars and ...well, i'd definitely recommend the plain one which is a diary, has protein in it and is low in calories :smile:

Thanks for the Good tips!!
  • 1lexisva
    Options

I don't want my sugar to get sky high LOL
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are not allergic to dairy and are not buying the stuff with added sugar yoghurt is very healthy. It is a reasonable source of protein, low in fat and carbs, great source of calcium in a bioavailable (easily absorbed) form plus some B vitamins and useful amounts of a number of other minerals (magnesium, zinc, selenium). The natural sugars in dairy are not a problem, they are not counted towards your sugar intake.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    Assuming you are not allergic to dairy and are not buying the stuff with added sugar yoghurt is very healthy. It is a reasonable source of protein, low in fat and carbs, great source of calcium in a bioavailable (easily absorbed) form plus some B vitamins and useful amounts of a number of other minerals (magnesium, zinc, selenium). The natural sugars in dairy are not a problem, they are not counted towards your sugar intake.

Thank you!! Should I just get the plain yogurt?
  • rml_16
    Options

I don't want my sugar to get sky high LOL

That is a very subjective term. But it's your choice what you want to eat.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The Kroger Carb Master yogurt only has 4 carbs if you are counting those.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Exactly, you can't label foods as either "good" or "bad." Like most foods, yogurt has both pro's and cons, and there are many many different types. In general, I think yogurt is mostly healthy, as long as you avoid the types with too much sugar/HFCS.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love the activia light. Yeah it's got like 7 sugars but it's no added sugar and I really do feel better eating a 4 oz serving 1 time a day.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I love the activia light. Yeah it's got like 7 sugars but it's no added sugar and I really do feel better eating a 4 oz serving 1 time a day.

That's not bad 7g might try activia light
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Does the sun rise each day?