YOGURT......

Options

Replies

• 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Well put, Lobster. These days I'm really enjoying Icelandic yogurt and Greek yogurt. It felt weird last night to put regular sour cream on a potato versus plain greek yogurt.

I'm in an exclusive relationship with Icelandic yogurt. Like a real girlfriend, it's expensive, but worth the physical satisfaction

How expensive? lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is for baby cows only, humans should only consume human yogurt...geez. j/k
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    The Kroger Carb Master yogurt only has 4 carbs if you are counting those.

Would also like to add that these yogurts are lower in sugar as well. I think they have 3g or something like that.

FWIW I eat yogurt fairly often. I prefer Vanilla greek and then I add my own fruit for substance
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I think not. Any dairy product is not natural for us to eat. We are the only species that drink another animals breast milk(dairy).
    It's more healthy for us to be drinking our mothers milk still than to take from a cow.

You could say that about most foods - little evolved specifically in order to provide Homo sapiens with food except perhaps fruit (so we can poop out the seeds and fertilise the new plant). Eggs are supposed to nourish chick embryos, muscles on fish and land animals are there to to help that specific animal chase prey/ run away from predators/ generally stay alive, legumes and seeds are supposed to fuel a seedling plant, honey is stored energy for bees, the chlorphyll in green vegetables is intended to provide energy for that plant to grow and propagate that species of plant. Many plants have evolved to contain toxic or bitter substances specifically so they WON'T be eaten and we selectively breed that right back out again.

We are the only species that have technology, central heating, flushing toilets, supermarkets, fridge freezers, hospitals and prescription medication. Surely you are not suggesting we rid ourselves of all these?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think not. Any dairy product is not natural for us to eat. We are the only species that drink another animals breast milk(dairy).
    It's more healthy for us to be drinking our mothers milk still than to take from a cow.

You could say that about most foods - little evolved specifically in order to provide Homo sapiens with food except perhaps fruit (so we can poop out the seeds and fertilise the new plant). Eggs are supposed to nourish chick embryos, muscles on fish and land animals are there to to help that specific animal chase prey/ run away from predators/ generally stay alive, legumes and seeds are supposed to fuel a seedling plant, honey is stored energy for bees, the chlorphyll in green vegetables is intended to provide energy for that plant to grow and propagate that species of plant. Many plants have evolved to contain toxic or bitter substances specifically so they WON'T be eaten and we selectively breed that right back out again.

We are the only species that have technology, central heating, flushing toilets, supermarkets, fridge freezers, hospitals and prescription medication. Surely you are not suggesting we rid ourselves of all these?

Take your logic and be gone from this place! It is not wanted here.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You could say that about most foods - little evolved specifically in order to provide Homo sapiens with food except perhaps fruit (so we can poop out the seeds and fertilise the new plant).

And if you're going to use those seeds for their original purpose you need to stop using a toilet and just *kitten* the yard. Activia can help!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The Kroger Carb Master yogurt only has 4 carbs if you are counting those.

agree! (as i sit here eating one)
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I have noticed that some of the yogurts can top the sugar scale at 15-30g and I believe this is too much. I have switched to a traditional plain greek yogurt and a 4oz serving has 4g of sugar and I will typically add my own fruit whether I dip it or blend it. This comforts me in knowing that my sugars are not from processed sugar but from fruit. I also stay away from "nonfat" yogurts, they typically have more sugar and carbs.

Just make sure your yogurt has live cultures in it :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy eating chemicals made in a lab, sure. Eat up!

I enjoy the nourishment of self-righteous people. :flowerforyou:

Activia Vanilla yogurt contains cultured grade reduced fat milk, fructose, water, sugar, contains less than one percent of whey protein concentrate, corn starch, modified corn starch, kosher gelatin, natural vanilla flavor, malic acid and sodium citrate. Activia also contains the active cultures L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus and Bifidobacteria Lactis.

OMG! Call poison control!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I read, 'is yogurt TOO good for you?'

See, Yogurt and I used to know each other in high school. Then one day, she just stopped talking to me. Started flirting with my boyfriend behind my back. Yogurt got invited to the prom, I didn't. I went by myself in a tuxedo to prove everyone wrong. Yogurt ended up dumping a bucket of goat blood on my head. Then I proved Yogurt wrong by lighting the whole school on fire.

Yogurt and I never spoke again.
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    I read, 'is yogurt TOO good for you?'

See, Yogurt and I used to know each other in high school. Then one day, she just stopped talking to me. Started flirting with my boyfriend behind my back. Yogurt got invited to the prom, I didn't. I went by myself in a tuxedo to prove everyone wrong. Yogurt ended up dumping a bucket of goat blood on my head. Then I proved Yogurt wrong by lighting the whole school on fire.

Yogurt and I never spoke again.

hahahahaa :)
  • chaosrocks
    Options

I do agree that now a days you can say this about most foods, because in fact most foods are processed and unhealthy. Not from a natural source. By me saying we are the only species it was just an example so you can futher research and question why are we the only ones? But I suppose I asked for the whole supermarket schpeil.

But... I'm trying to give health advice to a person who asked for it, not to decipher how far we've evolved and what products we should and shouldn't use.

Studies about dairy has proven to cause indigestion, acne, hormonal imbalance, etc.
    After pasturization and homogenization you will find dairy has slim to no nutrients in it.

Often people assume we need calcium to grow. Now this is true, where do you get calcium from? with the most common answer being milk... Actually our own body stores calcium so unless you have a disorder you wont need milk or any other dairy product to do that for you, because your body take care of that itself. Now knowing this when you are consuming too much calcium this is causing an imbalace, now your body has to fix and balance itself.

There are much more reasons to not consume dairy. But you can choose wether to better educate yourself on nutrition, or not.

This is the science I believe whether anyone chooses to take it in to consideration is totally up to them.
    I was under the impression that this webpage was to share health and wellness information.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I do agree that now a days you can say this about most foods, because in fact most foods are processed and unhealthy. Not from a natural source. By me saying we are the only species it was just an example so you can futher research and question why are we the only ones? But I suppose I asked for the whole supermarket schpeil.

But... I'm trying to give health advice to a person who asked for it, not to decipher how far we've evolved and what products we should and shouldn't use.

Studies about dairy has proven to cause indigestion, acne, hormonal imbalance, etc.
    After pasturization and homogenization you will find dairy has slim to no nutrients in it.

Often people assume we need calcium to grow. Now this is true, where do you get calcium from? with the most common answer being milk... Actually our own body stores calcium so unless you have a disorder you wont need milk or any other dairy product to do that for you, because your body take care of that itself. Now knowing this when you are consuming too much calcium this is causing an imbalace, now your body has to fix and balance itself.

There are much more reasons to not consume dairy. But you can choose wether to better educate yourself on nutrition, or not.

This is the science I believe whether anyone chooses to take it in to consideration is totally up to them.
    I was under the impression that this webpage was to share health and wellness information.

But the one reason to consume dairy overrides all the reasons not to consume dairy.

It's fcking delicious!
  • rml_16
    Options

Crsaudes-1.jpg
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Studies about dairy have been proven to cause health problems? Cool, I'll just keep eating my nummy goat yogurt and ignoring the studies!

Seriously, though. Humans are also the only species to eat cooked food. And the reason we did both is because they are evolutionarily advantageous. Humans began losing lactose intolerance when we started settling down in one spot because the ability to drink animal milk helped us survive when other food sources were scarce. And we started cooking food because it allowed us to absorb more nutrients than from a raw food diet, which helps run our precious brains.
  • chaosrocks
    Options

But the one reason to consume dairy overrides all the reasons not to consume dairy.

It's fcking delicious!

Haha this is true
  • chaosrocks
    Options
    Studies about dairy have been proven to cause health problems? Cool, I'll just keep eating my nummy goat yogurt and ignoring the studies!

Seriously, though. Humans are also the only species to eat cooked food. And the reason we did both is because they are evolutionarily advantageous. Humans began losing lactose intolerance when we started settling down in one spot because the ability to drink animal milk helped us survive when other food sources were scarce. And we started cooking food because it allowed us to absorb more nutrients than from a raw food diet, which helps run our precious brains.

Where did you find this information out? Seriously... I'm interested
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Just get plain, add some fruit, and you'll be good.

If you like Greek yogurt then get that. I personally hate the taste and texture of it. but if you like it then that's better for you.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Actually I work in and am qualified to degree level in lifestyle healthcare, previously in pharmacy and primary research laboratories. I have read plenty of published research and base my opinions and recommendations with my nutrition clients on that. But if it suits your Notmilk powered POV to think I am stupid enough to swallow what commercial organisations want us to believe wholesale crack on. If you want to share information feel free, but please make it accurate you missed out "in a small number of susceptible individuals".

Of course out bodies store calcium and it's partner nutrient, in the bones. When our diets are deficient or when we need calcium to alkalinise the blood we will draw on those stores. Personally I like my dairy nourished bones and teeth the way they are - never broken so much as a phalanx, no fillings until my late thirties after an illness, prescribed meds and oral neglect. N=2 since my sibling is the same. If my clients wish to eat canned oily fish with the bones still in plus a wide variety of green vegetables on a daily basis instead of dairy to get the nutrients they might miss (not just calcium as you claim) they are to be applauded and encouraged, but in the real world very few do.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I totally missed the part about the body storing calcium so we don't "need" it. Where does she think the body gets the clacium to store???