is Society too sensitive/politically correct?

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yes, everybody needs to grow a pair. But I guess you can't say that either.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    just a bunch of soft marshmallows!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    if you had to ask the question, you already knew the answer.

yes we are too sensitive and reactionary to all the wrong things
    yet we are not proactive in taking care of the important things we should.
    all hot air and all the big talk in the world doesnt get much done
    between all the special interest groups and everyone getting their little feelers hurt or offended, boo frikkin hoo.
    suck it up , get on with life, get busy doing something, anything but complaining!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    American society is like that 5 year old that went to school, was picked on, and went home crying to their mom. Then mom went in and told the teacher to make sure the class never does that again or your psyche would be messed up for life.

Waayyyy over sensitve. I mean, there are some VERY nasty words that should not be used, but at the same time... it's to the point we might as well say "alright here's what you CAN say and what you CAN do". It's like the whole Christmas issue. I am not associated with any religion, but I don't care what anyone says to me, I'll say it back to them. I don't care if you have a giant menorah in your front yard, or a giant cross, or a giant pentagram or even kinara! It's YOUR choice what you want to follow and do, and as long as you're not out there making human/animal sacrifices for your holiday, then do what you like. The way I see it, it adds more varity. But the way people are going, because their holiday isn't number one, no one can have one shown... next thing you know, no one can hang lights out for the holiday's because it's "offensive".

Or Halloween... used to be scary, but don't you DARE scare a child now... they will grow up with problems.

If someone is overweight, and you're concerned and know that person, talk to them. If someone is offended because you said "they're tall" then they need to grow up. You're tall, you're short, you're big, you're small... it's not a big freaking deal. That doesn't mean start using terms like "you're a freak of nature with how tall you are"... that's just wrong. Or go up to some random stranger who is over weight and start going on about how fat they are.

As for women who get annoyed with a man holding the door open, that's pitiful. It's not a "sexist" thing, it's someone being nice and not slamming the door in your face. Honestly, if I were a guy and a woman said something like "I can get it myself" I'd shut it in her face and tell her to get it herself than.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Society needs big girl panties..people cry over nothing! and its like shut the hell up!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Absolutely !! You can't say much without someone finding a way to twist the words into something too sensitive for them to have to show any tolerance for.
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    I think people say we have become "too PC" unless it's something that relates to them. Then they are the first to get offended.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    if you had to ask the question, you already knew the answer.

yes we are too sensitive and reactionary to all the wrong things
    yet we are not proactive in taking care of the important things we should.
    all hot air and all the big talk in the world doesnt get much done
    between all the special interest groups and everyone getting their little feelers hurt or offended, boo frikkin hoo.
    suck it up , get on with life, get busy doing something, anything but complaining!

"get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" - Red Shawshank Redemption
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This question offends me.

Reported
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    "-Can a man still open a door for a woman, or is that trying to assert dominance over her and diminishing her equality? (BTW.. have had at least two times I can recall where a woman said "i can open my own door" in a very abrupt way) "

I have had the same thing happen to me and I respond each time that my mother raised me to open doors for ladies and I will continue to do so as long as I damn well choose, if you don't like it feel free to turn around and walk away, you aren't taking away my choice to be polite because it offends you. Full disclosure, I tend to hold the door open for everyone, man or woman.

This is insane. Any woman who doesn't like a guy being nice, a gentleman and opening the door for them needs to get their head outta their *kitten*! Would they rather have a guy slam it in their face? Where I come from guys never open car doors for you...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep. Next.
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    agree
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    As someone raised in the US, but living outside the US, OMG Americans are freaking sensitive about everything. It's like, you can't ask someone any personal questions whatsoever because you might remind them of unpleasant stuff. Here, a cab driver will ask you if you're married, and if you say no, they'll ask why not. People also start asking after about a year of marriage why you haven't started having kids yet.

I've noticed this about people from Europe or other parts of the world, too. They're not as ... I don't know... tip-toey.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I don't play the PC game. If people don't like what I have to say, don't listen.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love that kids now have to say "Criss Cross apple sauce" because you can't say Indian Style anymore.

Unreal....
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Okay yes, but the minute you start complaining about "society" you might as well trade in your big boy pants for some tie dye capri pants and a bong
  • guapogringo
    Options
    I think you will find many many people who say YES on a fitness website. This demographic takes responsibility for their own actions so that correlates. It is those that refuse to take responsibility that are so sensitive to this PC BS.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    American yes, rest of the world seems fine.
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Yes society has become way to sensitive.

This.
    End thread.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    One of the sexiest things is when a man opens the door for me. Whether it's a car door, building, whatever. I don't want to lose those little things. Courtesy should still be alive & well!