is Society too sensitive/politically correct?

Options

Replies

• dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes. Period.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Yes.
    And I have no filter. So I'm just a little bit concerned for what my kids are gonna repeat in school. Heh. Either they're gonna be *realllly* popular...or they're gonna get in a LOT of trouble. I'd bet on both. *shrugs*
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I'm only Politically Incorrect at work. Everywhere else I'm just me. No such thing as Politcal Correctnes outside of work or politics.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Politically Correctness is a term used for whiny *kittys* that need their *poo* sugar coated!!
    ** = for you reporters
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes this society is much more sensitive than it ought to be.

That said, not being a d*ck never killed anybody. Generally treating people with respect takes care of most of that stuff.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    -can you say a person is bald or balding? (if no, can you then say someone has nice hair, as that may offend the bald/balding person that may overhear)
    Why would you say someone is bald or balding? Why couldn't you pay someone a compliment on their hair?
    -Is it OK that smokers treating the world as their ash tray
    No. And I know smokers who would say no.
    -What about people playing games on a smart phone (sound effects enabled) or having very long chats about nothing while in an otherwise quiet area.
    That's rude.
    -What about DJ Jazzy Dillon has the windows of moms car down blasting music with lyrics not suited for children
    Not cool
    -Can a man still open a door for a woman
    My guess is more women are thankful than angry about this.
    -BTW. this makes no sense to me.. a person did not "DO" anything to be a certain height, so why does it matter?
    A person didn't "DO" anything to be ugly, but you shouldn't tell them that.
    -If a passenger on a flight does not follow reasonable standards of hygiene, should a fellow passenger or flight crew be allowed to say/do anything, or should the fellow passengers be expected to grin and bear it?
    Sucks for you if your seat buddy has BO.
    -what if a person decides that a word offends them, even if it is non-offensive to everyone else? can that one person have the power to change everyone around them and force them to delete that word from use?
    Personally, if you told me the word "blue" offended you for whatever reason, I wouldn't use it around you.
    -can you say that a person is fat (stout, overweight, heavy) or is it forbidden to describe their physical appearance.
    Why criticize people at all?
    -can you say someone is skinny (at the risk of upsetting them if they have issues with eating disorders)
    I don't think you need to use the word skinny.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What society?
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yep people become butthurt at the smallest of things.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    -can you say a person is bald or balding? (if no, can you then say someone has nice hair, as that may offend the bald/balding person that may overhear)
    Why would you say someone is bald or balding? Why couldn't you pay someone a compliment on their hair?
    -Is it OK that smokers treating the world as their ash tray
    No. And I know smokers who would say no.
    -What about people playing games on a smart phone (sound effects enabled) or having very long chats about nothing while in an otherwise quiet area.
    That's rude.
    -What about DJ Jazzy Dillon has the windows of moms car down blasting music with lyrics not suited for children
    Not cool
    -Can a man still open a door for a woman
    My guess is more women are thankful than angry about this.
    -BTW. this makes no sense to me.. a person did not "DO" anything to be a certain height, so why does it matter?
    A person didn't "DO" anything to be ugly, but you shouldn't tell them that.
    -If a passenger on a flight does not follow reasonable standards of hygiene, should a fellow passenger or flight crew be allowed to say/do anything, or should the fellow passengers be expected to grin and bear it?
    Sucks for you if your seat buddy has BO.
    -what if a person decides that a word offends them, even if it is non-offensive to everyone else? can that one person have the power to change everyone around them and force them to delete that word from use?
    Personally, if you told me the word "blue" offended you for whatever reason, I wouldn't use it around you.
    -can you say that a person is fat (stout, overweight, heavy) or is it forbidden to describe their physical appearance.
    Why criticize people at all?
    -can you say someone is skinny (at the risk of upsetting them if they have issues with eating disorders)
    I don't think you need to use the word skinny.

All of this, to me it's just common sense. And not being a d*ck.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I say what I think. But if I did it without regard for the feelings of others, I wouldn't like myself very much.

I think it's important to express my thoughts, but find that it is better received and given more credibility if I do it with some tact. Otherwise people focus on the delivery and not the message.

At the same time, I think that people are/have gotten more sensitive, and are into re-labeling things (like "handicapped" to "differently-abled") to pander to people who, probably do not need to be pandered to (and to some degree, find it more insulting)
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think both are true.

Sometimes I think we have lost our resilience and ability to roll with the punches. I am tempted to say "no one ever died from hurt feelings" but recent bullying-induced suicides indicate that this is not true. At least not true it the hurt feelings happen in a relentless and ongoing way.

On the other hand, whenever someone says "this isn't very politically correct, BUT . . ." I know something really hateful is coming. Partly I think I want to know if someone close to me is racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever so I can respond accordingly, and partly I think they should be embarrassed to make some of these comments.

Rock, meet hard place.

Re: door opening. A few decades ago I was a strong feminist, worked at a rape crisis centre, marched in protests, etc. (The seventies, what a decade.) Never had a problem with door opening, and still often hold doors for men, particularly when they have their hands full of packages. It's just good manners, no matter who is doing it.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    All of this, to me it's just common sense. And not being a d*ck.

Exactly. Many of the people who say society is too sensitive are just people who are insensitive jerks. What's so wrong with just being kind to one another? Is the feeling of speaking your mind with no filter, regardless of who is offended, a better feeling than knowing you're kind to people and care if they're offended?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I didnt read past the title.

YES.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    TL;DR but, the answer is yes.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    D

U

H
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that we are headed for extinction. We have gone too far in our quest to interfere with natural selection. This is merely one of the many ways we are doing it. Our ancestors were not the people who needed to be babied, who needed toys taken off the market that they MIGHT choke on, who needed warning labels and who needed laws passed to keep people from saying **** that might hurt their feelings. Those people died out and didn't make it. Our ancestors were the ones who were smart enough, strong enough, and level-headed enough to know better. Because that is what you have to be to survive. And that is why we won't.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Just taking a sampling of some of the people here. YES! it is too sensitive.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    natural selection is by far te sexiest part of evolution and humans keep interfering, this is so true. SO TRUE. Sometimes I feel like a horrible horrible person for hoping the end of the world comes, just so we can get rid of all the lazy moochers who cant maintain their own survival without it coming in a value pak from Wal-mart. but its how I feel.

Survival of the freaking fittest.

If I end up a mom, my kids are going to be upfront and kicking *kitten*.