How many grams of protein can I have daily?

Options
Hey guys. I weigh 283 lbs. (used to be 320) and obviously have a lot more weight to lose. According to MFP, I can only have up to 71 grams of protein per day. This number seems pretty low to me, because even being a vegetarian, I still often nearly go over it. The other numbers MFP gives me seem pretty accurate (1,890 calories per day, 260 grams of carbs and 63 grams of fat) but I really have no clue if I can adjust my protein intake and if so, to what? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm pretty clueless!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    That is low, I would adjust it to 30-40%
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist but I can share what works for me: I calculated my body fat percentage (at www.fat2fitradio.com). Once that is done I know my lean body mass (mine is slightly over 115 pounds). I eat 1gram of protein for every pound of LBM every day - and shoot for about 35 more. So I set my goal at 150 per day and it helps me stay full and satisfied and also helps my muscle recovery after my runs.

71 sounds way too low for you, in my opinion.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a kidney condition or some other medical problem that contra-indicates high protein, you should be fine even doubling what you're getting right now.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    As a bodybuilder, I consume over 200 grams of protein daily.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be adjusted. If you want to change it, you can go to your home page, click on "goals," then "change goals," and then choose the "custom" option. Just for reference, my carb/protein/fat percentages are currently set at 40/30/30. Good luck! :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    As a bodybuilder, I consume over 200 grams of protein daily.

Internet marry me
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 130, and I aim for 150 gms+ a day...If you lift weights, you need more protein than that for SURE. But even if you don't, it won't hurt you unless you have a kidney or other medical problem. 40/30/30 is a great, comfortable way for most people to live...I agree with the others...you should definitely give it a try. :flowerforyou:
  • KaonaRose
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I am giving the 40/30/30 thing a try starting today! :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Remember that, if you hit your total calorie target exactly, you will 99.99% for sure be over on some macro and under on another. What's important is the averages over time.