Is running bad for you? Are weights better? Very confused.

Options
I've been trying to educated myself on exercise. I used to think all exercise is the same: if you burn calories by moving your body and using more energy than you eat, you'll lose weight and get fit. I'm walking at least 2 miles a day, and sometimes up to 4. I like walking more than any other exercise.Sometimes I break into a jog and do some jogging mixed in with the running.
I go to the gym to work out sometimes too, but not as faithfully as walking, because my dog loves to go with me and that encourages me to keep going.

But while reading about exercise I find all kinds of different opinions about fat burning and fitness! I never knew there were so many differing opinions about it. Would it be better to ditch walking so much and go lift weights? I guess I'm feeling unsure and insecure about this. I want to get fit and lose 2 pounds a week. I have 35 pounds left to go and my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. Maybe it's the wrong exercise?

Replies

• skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    Running is amazing for you! Mix weights and running and the results will be awesome.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Running is amazing for you! Mix weights and running and the results will be awesome.

/thread
  • kas7670
    Options
    They say running can be bad for your knees. I think it's only bad for you if a person doesn't run regularly. The body is a lot of weight to push onto joints if they aren't use to it. Ladies at my gym walk on the treadmill at a incline, they say it helps their knees.

I run 1-2 times a week but find myself on the elliptical 4-5 times a week.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Running is great for your heart, for burning calories, and for general fitness...as long as you don't get injured. (For full disclosure, I don't run and I hate running, but I do other things for cardio fitness)

Running and other cardio will not re-SHAPE your body and give you a muscular look, though...ONLY weight-training can do that.

They are both good, but they will give you different results. So.....ideally....do both. :flowerforyou:
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should stop walking if you love it so much, but you should add some strength training into your routine. Especially as we age, it's so important to build and preserve muscle. It shouldn't be one or the other. Try to commit to twice a week, hit all the major muscle groups during each workout.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Pretty much sums up my experience.

I throw some other exercise in there too. Spin classes, occassional dvd workouts, etc. Do what you like, like what you do.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The best exercise for you is the one you actually do. Some people walk for health others walk because they enjoy it. It sounds to me like you and your dog enjoy it.

If your not seeing the results you want or you want to crank it up a notch then start incorporating in some running or lifting or swimming or racquetball or whatever it is that you want to do. There is no best exercise or we'd all be doing it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    They say running can be bad for your knees. I think it's only bad for you if a person doesn't run regularly. The body is a lot of weight to push onto joints if they aren't use to it. Ladies at my gym walk on the treadmill at a incline, they say it helps their knees.

I run 1-2 times a week but find myself on the elliptical 4-5 times a week.

Knee problems have more to do with your gait than running itself. My knees hurt just watching the way some people at the gym run.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Running is not bad for you. Whether or not weights are better depends on your goal.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are a lot of differing opinions on what exercise is the best. In my opinion, the best exercise for you is the one that you will continue to do because you enjoy it! Walking/running is a good cardio workout and a great stress reliever for me. I don't run in the gym...I enjoy being outside (even in the chillier months) so running is ME time.

But, in order to help toan and reshape your body I suggest incorporating some weight/body weight training into your weekly routine. Doesn't need to be done at the gym; can be done in your living room with a couple dumb bells and your body!

Also, you don't know what you don't know. Have you tried other cardio exercises? Adding other forms of cardio may help jump start your weight loss again and if you haven't tried other forms you might find something else that you enjoy in addition to walking.

Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and your preferences.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You know, I think a lot of it is individual. My father turns 70 this year and he still runs a 7-minute mile no problem and has never had any joint problems. (He was also on the U.S. track and field team back in the 60s). I'm 37 and I've had problems with my knees and hips since I was about 26-years-old. My body just itsn't built for running. My joints are too loose and the pounding of running has really done a number on my right knee and hips.

So after having a lengthy discussion with my doctors, I gave up running (for the most part). I will occasionally run for a few minutes just to get the heart rate up, but for the most part, I just walk now, and I do total body conditioning with 5 lb weights three days a week. But guess what -- even though I'm not running anymore, I'm thinner than I've been in YEARS!

So, if you like walking, keep doing it. If you want to take it up a notch, read up on interval training (sometimes I do something like walk 10 minutes, then walk as fast as I possibly can for 5 minutes, run for 1 minute and sprint for 30 seconds - repeat. It's a great work-out, but not as hard on my knees as running the whole time).

Also, even though I'm only using 5 lb weights, I've totally noticed a huge difference in my shoulder, back and bicep definition. I've also noticed that many of my joint issues have improved significantly (my doctor told me that when you have strong muscles supporting your joints, they'll feel better).

I also understand that the more muscle you have, the more your burn calories when your just sitting around. Who doesn't like the sound of that?!?! ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to educated myself on exercise. I used to think all exercise is the same: if you burn calories by moving your body and using more energy than you eat, you'll lose weight and get fit. I'm walking at least 2 miles a day, and sometimes up to 4. I like walking more than any other exercise.Sometimes I break into a jog and do some jogging mixed in with the running.
    I go to the gym to work out sometimes too, but not as faithfully as walking, because my dog loves to go with me and that encourages me to keep going.

But while reading about exercise I find all kinds of different opinions about fat burning and fitness! I never knew there were so many differing opinions about it. Would it be better to ditch walking so much and go lift weights? I guess I'm feeling unsure and insecure about this. I want to get fit and lose 2 pounds a week. I have 35 pounds left to go and my weight loss has slowed to a crawl. Maybe it's the wrong exercise?

There are a lot of "opinions" from people pushing their own agendas and primarily concerned with self-promotion. It has always been an unfortunate fact that the fitness "business" is infested with many people whose primary goal is to blow BS in order to serve their own ego or financial interests.

A balanced program of cardio and strength training is still the best choice for the vast majority of people trying to improve fitness and lose weight.

Another source of confusion is that different strategies are more appropriate for people at different stages of their program. What is effective for a beginner might not be effective at all for a more experienced exerciser, or even the same person several months down the road.

Your basic premise is correct. You can always learn new things and add exercises to your program, but be extremely suspicious about ANY information that claims to have the "one true answer" to fitness and weight loss.
  • kderango
    Options
    I am a long time runner (20 + years) and have learned the lessons of over-training the hard way. There are three keys to understanding how to best increase calories burned and cardio-vascular fitness.

1. Most people run at an intensity that is too high for what they are trying to accomplish. I highly recommend splurging for a heart rate monitor sports watch. I know they are pricey but honestly they only cost the same price as 3 pairs of good running shoes. You should be in heart rate zones 2 and 3. I would bet dollars to donuts that you are running in zone 4, especially if you feel the need to walk. If you can currently walk and keep your heart rate in zone 3 then don't bother running. You don't get added benefits and actually you will likely lower the cardio-vascular benefit. Why? See point 2.

2. Exercise science research has shown that the cardio-vascular benefit of running or walking is proportional to the time spent doing that exercise in the appropriate heart rate zones. NOT the distance traveled.

So suppose you do two 3 mile run/walks. The first is done at a 15 minute per mile pace and you can keep your heart rate in zone 3 and the second is done at a 14 minute per mile pace with your heart rate in the same zone. The 15 minute per mile run/walk will be better for you because you spend more *time* exercising.

3. Weight training is an important part of any running program in order to prevent injuries. Two times a week is sufficient and ignore what the meatheads are doing in the free weights room. Do exercises that have a balance component and that utilize your core. For runners put an emphasis on lower body one-legged exercises (lunges, for instance), lateral movement (to increase the range of motion in your hips and to increase the strength of your hip flexors) and shoulders.

Here's a sample plan for you:

Day 1:
    Lunges x 8 -15 each leg, box step overs x 8 - 15 each leg, cable rows x 8 - 12.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I started just like you. I went for lots of walks, broke into a jog or a run for the fun of it, got pretty good at throwing a couple miles into my day walking and a couple miles running. Id dilly dally with this or that and enjoy my happy little active lifestyle.

Now I balance that low impact cardio with what I hope will be (just joined a new gym so not able to claim consistency yet) 3 days of a lifting each week.

I have to honestly say it made an authentic difference that even my silly dysmorphic brain could recognise :)

I say keep doing all those little exercises that you do because you and your pup love them, and either add in lifting, or pick something new to explore each month of 2013 until you find some more favorites to add in.

I wish you victory and laughter.

:heart:
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just one guys opinion here...I was lifting daily two years ago. And I was losing weight and feeling good. In the last 18 months I have had rotator cuff surgery on both my shoulders. Needless to say I can lift again but no where near where I was at. During rehab I saw a friend of mine was training for a 5k. As a big guy I never dreamed running would be an avenue for me. Let me just say that running has overall made me feel much better than lifting ever did. And my rehab should be over on December 26th so I will be lifting 3 days a week and running 3 days a week. Hoping I feel even better than ever.

But I would pick running over lifting. But I also believe you need both because both feed off of each other. The better your cardio the better your lift days. The best your strength the better your runs.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week. Running is EXCELLENT for you.

I think it's good to be switching up your exercise often. I like to alternate different kinds of workouts between my running days to keep my body guessing.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    do both.

I recently found some pictures on my computer, and put this together.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I was between 199lbs and 188lbs in the picture on the left. I didn't really do any strength training, mostly just cardio. I gained more weight when I quit exercising. I have lost 32 pounds, and am basically back at the weight I was at in the picture on the left. The difference? In the picture on the right, I have been doing strength for 9 months. For the last 4-6 weeks I have been incorporating some heavy lifts --barbell squats and leg presses. But I am basically the same weight in both pictures!
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Running is good but take it from someone currently suffering from a 5 month old knee injury, I would just continue to walk if that is what you like to do! And add some weight lifting. I love weight lifting and have should have started doing it sooner in my life! Good luck on whatever you find that you like!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For me, the mental health benefits of walking / running are worth so much, that I don't want to ever stop.

That said, I want to start adding strength training as well - because it will improve my over all shape and even more importantly - I want to protect what bone density I still have, and cardio alone won't do that.