Is running bad for you? Are weights better? Very confused.

Options

Replies

• kderango
    Options
    I am a long time runner (20 + years) and have learned the lessons of over-training the hard way. There are three keys to understanding how to best increase calories burned and cardio-vascular fitness.

1. Most people run at an intensity that is too high for what they are trying to accomplish. I highly recommend splurging for a heart rate monitor sports watch. I know they are pricey but honestly they only cost the same price as 3 pairs of good running shoes. You should be in heart rate zones 2 and 3. I would bet dollars to donuts that you are running in zone 4, especially if you feel the need to walk. If you can currently walk and keep your heart rate in zone 3 then don't bother running. You don't get added benefits and actually you will likely lower the cardio-vascular benefit. Why? See point 2.

2. Exercise science research has shown that the cardio-vascular benefit of running or walking is proportional to the time spent doing that exercise in the appropriate heart rate zones. NOT the distance traveled.

So suppose you do two 3 mile run/walks. The first is done at a 15 minute per mile pace and you can keep your heart rate in zone 3 and the second is done at a 14 minute per mile pace with your heart rate in the same zone. The 15 minute per mile run/walk will be better for you because you spend more *time* exercising.

3. Weight training is an important part of any running program in order to prevent injuries. Two times a week is sufficient and ignore what others* are doing in the free weights room. Do exercises that have a balance component and that utilize your core. For runners put an emphasis on lower body one-legged exercises (lunges, for instance), lateral movement (to increase the range of motion in your hips and to increase the strength of your hip flexors) and shoulders.

Here's a sample plan for you:

Day 1:
    Group 1: Lunges x 8 -15 each leg, box step overs x 8 - 15 each leg, cable rows x 8 - 12, dumbbell curl and overhead press 8 - 12.
    Group 2: Weight assisted pull-ups 8 - 12, resistance band side steps x 8 - 12, physio-ball crunches 10 - 30

Day 2:

Group 1: Lunges x 8 -15 each leg, weighted side steps squat x 8 - 15 each leg, bent over dumbbell rows x 8 - 12 each side, dumbbell front and lateral raises x 8 - 15.
    Group 2: Dumbbell bench press 8 - 12, weighted wall sits 20 - 60 seconds, rotating side planks.

Do each group of exercises all the way through, go grab some water and catch your breath and then do them again. Start out doing 1 set of each at light weights then work up to three sets of both groups.

* edited out "meat-heads" for others. So many people are doing exercises with incorrect form and in such an ill-thought out sequence that I would not want anyone to follow their cue. Nonetheless, I can see where that word would be seen as an insult to weightlifters here. Obviously, if you are here you are thinking pretty seriously about your training and not just grunting and yelling "be a man!" as you spot your friend during his bench. Bleh.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    since i had knee pain after running, my doctor told me running was bad for my knees and i should stop. Instead, i started weight training my legs intensely. Now i can run at least a 5K without knee pain. The pain is still there once in a while (arthritis i think) but it got a lot better with more weight training, so i think i was using my knees too much when i ran. Hopefully it doesnt kill my knees in the future but i would like to keep running at least a little bit :-)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Dexter-s-Lab-dexters-laboratory-13130374-1024-768.jpg

Why the show died
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Running / walking + lifting weights = awesomeness
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's not a either/or proposition. You really do need to do both. In moderation, of course. I LOVE running, but I'm aware that running alone will not produce the desired outcome. Dig deeper in your research and you'll find lots of people touting the benefits of both.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I say keep doing all those little exercises that you do because you and your pup love them, and either add in lifting, or pick something new to explore each month of 2013 until you find some more favorites to add in.

Great idea!! Ill be looking forward to walking from now on!
  • bakenatj
    Options
    Running is very good for you. I run 20- 25 miles a week. It makes you feel so much better once you are in shape. Getting in shape isn't the most fun but once you are there you will not stop. Give it a try, an honest try (six weeks) and go from there. Your heart will thank you!
  • kderango
    Options
    since i had knee pain after running, my doctor told me running was bad for my knees and i should stop. Instead, i started weight training my legs intensely. Now i can run at least a 5K without knee pain. The pain is still there once in a while (arthritis i think) but it got a lot better with more weight training, so i think i was using my knees too much when i ran. Hopefully it doesnt kill my knees in the future but i would like to keep running at least a little bit :-)

I bet your hip flexors were too weak to stabilize your knees and the weight training corrected that.
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've had injuries running. Mostly my own fault from over training. A C25K (google it) program is a great way to ease into running. Rule of thumb is to not increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. I also found that having proper running form (not heal to toe) is key for avoiding joint pain. I highly recommend getting fitted for the proper shoes.

Strength training is key for keeping weight off. You can lose a lot of weight strictly by doing cardio, but you'll gain it back if you lack muscle. The more muscle you have the more you'll burn when stationary.

I run 3-5 days a week or around 15-20 miles. I also strength train 3 days a week along with some additional cardio (hockey once a week). Having the right balance for YOUR goals is what you're looking for.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as the "wrong" exercise. Different types of exercise will provide different benefits and will serve different purposes, but there's no such thing as a "wrong" exercise.

Walking is a FABULOUS exercise. If you enjoy it - EVEN BETTER!

ADDING VARIETY to your exercise is great because then you can gain from the different benefits they give you.

Lifting weights is awesome because it helps you to BUILD MUSCLE. And MORE MUSCLE = MORE MUSCLE CELLS WORKING DURING YOUR CARDIO (walking) = MORE FAT BURN = MORE EFFECTIVE CARDIO.

Hope this helps!!! <3 - Mary
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think your expectation to loose 2 pounds a week being so close to your goal is unrealistic.

Also I think eating below your TDEE will be what makes you loose weight. running and lifting are there to make you healthy and awesome.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think your expectation to loose 2 pounds a week being so close to your goal is unrealistic.

Also I think eating below your TDEE will be what makes you loose weight. running and lifting are there to make you healthy and awesome.

^^ This. Your goal should be half a pound a week until you reach goal weight. This will likely give you more calories to eat. Keep exercising.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How can any exercise be BAD for you????? :grumble:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Squat_Death1.jpg
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Running for an overweight person can be bad for them. Just walking can be a challenge. You have to work up to it. You can't just get off the couch and run a marathon (most people can't). That would be bad exercise.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Squat_Death1.jpg

Haha! WIN!

To the OP. Whether running is bad for you is completely dependent on the goals you are trying to achieve.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 125 pound mostly from running. I now run and lift weights. Running burns a ton of calories, helps your endurance, strengthens your cardiovascular system. However, if all you do is run you will hit a wall and will not get faster. Lighting weights makes you stronger (crazy I know). This will help you run faster and feel more in control of your body.

Don't listen to the myths. Running is not bad for your knees. Running with bad form and bad shoes is bad for your knees. Studies have shown that the knees of life long runners are stronger than those of active adults there same age. Weight lifting does not make everyone look bulky. Weight training will make you smaller because you'll replace fat with muscle which is denser, thereby you look smaller. I've shredded two inches off my waist in the past three months and haven't lost a pound. This loss is largely due to lifting three days a week. Look not only at weight loss, but for any shrinking in your measurements. Sometimes the pounds will not come off but everything will look better.

Both are good, I don't think one is better for overall health, but I'm no expert.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Why does one have to be better than the other? A good strength training program will make you a better runner.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Mix up your exercise activities. Do some sort of cardio workout certain days and do some weight lifting on other days.