Ladies and weight lifting

Options
so i asked one of my very knowledgeable friends who actually knows what he is talking about about ladies and weight lifting as one of my friends wants to try his Program he is Mr. Jason Blaha the founder of Ice cream fitness

here is some links to all his websites,

http://www.youtube.com/user/IceCreamFitness?feature=g-all

http://www.facebook.com/IceCreamBodybuilding?ref=stream

and here is the conversation:

Originally Posted by maqsmj
ok, so one of my friends wants to do the program, and she is a girl, what kind of differences will be in her workout than what we usually do?? and specially in the diet, what is the ladies ratio for diet?! for example for us as you advised before 1 LBM = .5 fat and 1 protien, so what about ladies?!

by Jason, The same although obviously she needs to use female caloric calculations. In fact be very careful about her going too low on fat as a female particularly if she is trying to lose weight as women do seem to be more sensitive to hormone balance issues as a result of deitary deficiences and they have a more difficult time recovering from them. She she trying to gain muscle or lose fat more?

Originally Posted by maqsmj
lose weight and build some muscle, she looks at some girls pics doing squats and loved how their butt looks like, so she wants to lose weight and make her self stronger but not a wonder women, basicly she wants to look SEXY!!! " this is how she described it "

by Jason , Ok yeah just hit those macro minimums and a 10% caloric deficit for now and she will be fine. Tell her she should have no fears of ever looking like a female bodybuilder unless she spends a couple years injecting male hormones. Females hormonally cannot achieve that type of muscle mass. Females who do heavy barbell training just tend to get the "thinner, toned" look most want with a perky round butt even if they get very strong, like 200+ lbs squats for reps.

and here is a link to his program folks

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    cool story bro
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    cool story bro

dude, nice trolling, you will need another 1 zillion years to learn how , where and when to troll because BRO's actually knows nothing and this is a serious topic which most girls actually do care about

and im just trying to help
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    From his video, it's basically SL, which is a terrific program as well as Starting Strength, with some minor differentiation.

As for as the diet goes, he does make a valid point that some women cut fats too low. There is a minimum amount necessary to maintain proper hormonal function and going too low can compromise that and cause problems. Regarding the deficit, it really depends on the woman's baseline stats. But many people, including myself, will argue that regardless of starting weight/body composition, that a deficit 25% to 10% is ideal due to its minimal effects on hormonal balance with maximal retention of LBM. The only exception is if one starts at a very high body fat percentage thus allowing for a greater deficit, which of course would be curtailed as fat mass is reduced.
  • maqsmj
    Options
    From his video, it's basically SL, which is a terrific program as well as Starting Strength, with some minor differentiation.

As for as the diet goes, he does make a valid point that some women cut fats too low. There is a minimum amount necessary to maintain proper hormonal function and going too low can compromise that and cause problems. Regarding the deficit, it really depends on the woman's baseline stats. But many people, including myself, will argue that regardless of starting weight/body composition, that a deficit 25% to 10% is ideal due to its minimal effects on hormonal balance with maximal retention of LBM. The only exception is if one starts at a very high body fat percentage thus allowing for a greater deficit, which of course would be curtailed as fat mass is reduced.

thanks for your input man, actually this program is for NOVICE so it is not stand the same for intermediate and that may make some sense that you do notn like the program however many found great results on it, the 10% deflect is because i identified that my friend doesnt need to lose much weight and mainly tone :)
  • maqsmj
    Options
    sharing some love about the very basic info.

http://youtu.be/-8KSdnMfYzw
  • maqsmj
    Options
    * shameless bump *
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    So wait. You are telling us, that to lose weight... women should lift and eat? The same way guys do it?

*faints*
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

SL 5x5 with a random one-size-fits-all list of assistance work.

A novice would get more mileage out of just doing straight up SL 5x5, or better yet Starting Strength. Don't worry about assistance work until you move beyond the novice range. And even then, less is often more.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will go back and watch the video's.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    No. to lose FAT/inches we should lift and eat. You might not lose as much weight, because muscle is heavier than fat. But you will lose inches and you will lose body fat. I've lost slightly more than 30 lbs of body fat but added 12 pounds of muscle, so the total weight loss isn't particularly impressive. But I've dropped from a size 16/18 to a size 10. That IS impressive (to me, anyway.)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm subbed to this guy - brilliant, great advice, IMO.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No. to lose FAT/inches we should lift and eat. You might not lose as much weight, because muscle is heavier than fat. But you will lose inches and you will lose body fat. I've lost slightly more than 30 lbs of body fat but added 12 pounds of muscle, so the total weight loss isn't particularly impressive. But I've dropped from a size 16/18 to a size 10. That IS impressive (to me, anyway.)

How have you measure the increase in muscle mass? How long did it take you?
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes lift hard and eat a lot but make sure what you eat is healthy food and not junk. Thus follow the macros.
  • maqsmj
    Options
    So wait. You are telling us, that to lose weight... women should lift and eat? The same way guys do it?

*faints*

actually yes, imost girls want that nice butt how do they get it, they SQUAT, and yes lifting weight wont make you look like a body builder as mentioned there is no way you will look like a female body builder if u dont inject male hormons for a couple of years, most models and fitness models do work out regulary and lift weights because that actually works. if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask
  • maqsmj
    Options

SL 5x5 with a random one-size-fits-all list of assistance work.

A novice would get more mileage out of just doing straight up SL 5x5, or better yet Starting Strength. Don't worry about assistance work until you move beyond the novice range. And even then, less is often more.

actually the form on body building.com has 29 pages of discussion and specially the 10 first pages can answer 90% of all your questions why it will work, maybe give it a read?! and feel to ask questions
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

*faints*

actually yes, imost girls want that nice butt how do they get it, they SQUAT, and yes lifting weight wont make you look like a body builder as mentioned there is no way you will look like a female body builder if u dont inject male hormons for a couple of years, most models and fitness models do work out regulary and lift weights because that actually works. if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask

Oh. You missed my sarcasm.

Sorry about that chief.
  • maqsmj
    Options
    Yeah, I'm subbed to this guy - brilliant, great advice, IMO.

awesome man, actually has has a bunch of videos on his channel and to be honest i didnt hear any BS info. from him
  • maqsmj
    Options

How have you measure the increase in muscle mass? How long did it take you?

it is pretty simple, you just do a body fat % test in your gym or at home and you can know what is your LMB ( Lean body mass ) is and what is your BF% ( body fat % ) is, if you want more details please feel free to ask
  • maqsmj
    Options
    Yes lift hard and eat a lot but make sure what you eat is healthy food and not junk. Thus follow the macros.

totally right macros are so important, but u have to belive in IIFYM ( flexible dieting ) no food is junk food and life is short so enjoy it and match your macros, i ate a tri tip steak sandwich with french fries for todays lunch and im good to go :)
  • maqsmj
    Options

*faints*

Oh. You missed my sarcasm.

Sorry about that chief.

aaaaaaaaaah, some times i get to be so serious :) bad habits :) sorry