Lifting weights while obese

Options
I have heard a lot of stories reagarding lifting weights. people have been saying one needs to lose 1st before trying to lift. Im losing and i want to build muscle as well. So i want to start lifting weights and i want to know. is it true i will remain this big? im around 190 lbs and a lady 5.4 tall

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I started lifting before I lost a single pound, and I have lost a total of 32 pounds.

If you lift while you are trying to lose weight, your weight loss could be slower, but I can tell you that you will LOOK better. You will carry your weight much much better

this was in '09 and I was definitely 188-199 pounds

8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this was me the last week of November. I am wearing the same shirt. The pants have been too big since March or April. I weighed 196 that day

8211731868_5394684d1d_q.jpg
    IMG00856-20121123-0837 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of stories reagarding lifting weights. people have been saying one needs to lose 1st before trying to lift. Im losing and i want to build muscle as well. So i want to start lifting weights and i want to know. is it true i will remain this big? im around 190 lbs and a lady 5.4 tall
    Your priority should be weight training. Weight training preserves whatever muscle you have. You will not remain "big".
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Before, 125kg/275lbs

8147291188_94f2d61730.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, 100kg/220lbs

8247223566_27bebdb04a.jpg

I lift heavy. Squats. Deadlifts. OHP. Bench. Row.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer had me lifting weights from the get-go and I still manage to lose weight pretty steady. I mainly do the weight classes at the gym ( Bodypump, Lift, Set ) and do cardio almost daily. Once I drop another 30-ish pounds, I'm going to decrease my cardio and work on lifting every other day.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I tried to workout and diet for years. I was 203lbs and 5'2. Once I stopped working out and was on a restricted diet, I lost 68lbs, i gained 7 of them back when i started working out and that is my advice.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm considered morbidly obese and started training 4 months ago. Two weeks into that I was lifting *heavy* and in those four months have lost nearly 15kgs / 33lbs. My shape has definitely changed and I've lost significant inches.

I've done all kinds of diets / exercise programs in the past and *all* of them have revolved around cardio and light "barbie" weights. I may not be losing kgs as quickly as I used to, but a) I know the weight I've lost isn't going to pile back on the minute I take a bite of something 'naughty' and b) I've neeeeeeever lost mid-section / tummy fat as quickly as I have. I feel stronger and I have noticeably better posture which makes everything hurt less (knees, ankles, back etc). I can climb stairs without puffing (which didn't happen when I was doing cardio) and my workouts *generate* energy instead of making me exhausted. No idea what trainers etc say... but as an obese lifter I say go for it!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You will not remain "big" if you are eating at a calorie deficit. Lifting weights is definitely recommended, go for it!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights can and should be done from day one. You don't need to "build muscle". It you are really overweight you likely have a lot of muscle. Lifting weights has dynamic metabolic effects that enhance weight loss. Plus it will allow you to maintain an effective calorie deficit while conserving muscle mass. And getting stronger makes you feel more confident and motivated. At first the weights don't have to super heavy.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I tried to workout and diet for years. I was 203lbs and 5'2. Once I stopped working out and was on a restricted diet, I lost 68lbs, i gained 7 of them back when i started working out and that is my advice.

those 7lb are probably water retention related or muscle gains- have you recorded inches?
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I lifted from day one ( see my profile pics) and i was obese. Lifting while eating at a deficit is very important because you will lose about 28% less lean muscle ( on avg.) if you lift during your weight loss than if you dont.
  • Tee4xxxx
    Tee4xxxx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You cannot remain "big" if lifting weights and eating "clean", muscle mass is smaller than fat, you might lose "weight" slowly, but you will definately feel your clothes getting looser as the muscle builds and tones, the body uses the unused energy. It is all about balance, try to make sure you have sufficient protein and less carbs with in your diet . Graze throughout the day and eat clean. You will not remain the same. You will get smaller. Only a matter of time, with proper eating and exercise.
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    I've done them both and I lost the weight faster on a heavy weight lifting regimen combines with some cardio but lifting gets you a better shape you should be more concerned with fat loss anyways
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You will see a slow down in the scale but your cloths will fit much nicer. I am like you, I lift heavy weight and I am trying to lose weight. I just add some cardio after I finish my weight training, although after I am finished I am usually spent so I can't do too much. Lift the weights, you won't regret it.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Definately lift weights. Evryone should.

And remember its about fat loss. Not weight loss. Best to use the tape measure as your primary tool.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    So how about a plan with a calorie deficit to lose weight at a reasonable rate, -say 500 cals to lose 1 pound a week, added cardio to burn an additional 1/2 pound per week, and a moderate weight lifting schedule to help maintain as much muscle mass as possible?
    Moderation sounds like the best way for someone starting out with a lot to lose. They get the weight loss to keep them motivated, the cardio to help with heart, lung, and other benefits, and the strength training to keep the muscles strong and body contouring.

Has anyone had success with this plan?
  • Lifting weights isn't the only way to build muscle. I suggest you start doing more crossfit type workouts, and combine them with cardio. You will get the necessary muscle endurance and mass from this sort of excercise, just do your research. In addition, plyometrics used in circuit training help a lot as well. Its better to build your body with "your own" body then it is to use isolation movements in weight training. Good luck.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It is true, with very limited exceptions, that you cannot build muscle AND lose fat at the same time. You either gain both or you lose both. That might be why you're hearing to wait before adding strength training. HOWEVER, weight lifting while you are losing will help you preserve muscle mass while you are losing weight and improve the aesthetics of reaching goal weight.

PS: Since you are obese and a beginner, you may actually be able to build some muscle initially while losing fat. But that will eventually not be the case.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    So how about a plan with a calorie deficit to lose weight at a reasonable rate, -say 500 cals to lose 1 pound a week, added cardio to burn an additional 1/2 pound per week, and a moderate weight lifting schedule to help maintain as much muscle mass as possible?
    Moderation sounds like the best way for someone starting out with a lot to lose. They get the weight loss to keep them motivated, the cardio to help with heart, lung, and other benefits, and the strength training to keep the muscles strong and body contouring.

Has anyone had success with this plan?
    i lost 83 lbs in 13 months using a very similar program. The slower the weight loss the better.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    I have never heard that. I always hear that weightlifting is key to losing weight since building lean muscle raises metabolism.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

NO. you don't have to lose weight first to start lifting. that's ridiculous. Part of the reason to BUILD muscle is to help you lose weight. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even while at rest. so go build some muscle!