Lifting weights while obese

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It's not like you're immobile. There are tons of people on this site who are running at your weight/height or much more and that's a lot more impact. Go for it! Sooner than later. :) You'll be pleased with your results.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Lifting weights isn't the only way to build muscle. I suggest you start doing more crossfit type workouts, and combine them with cardio. You will get the necessary muscle endurance and mass from this sort of excercise, just do your research. In addition, plyometrics used in circuit training help a lot as well. Its better to build your body with "your own" body then it is to use isolation movements in weight training. Good luck.
    Nothing is as effective at building lean muscle as lifting weights and lifting heavy. The problem with just using your body weight as resistance is that you cant increase the resistance, infact as you lose weight that resistancewill decrease.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Your goal should be to loose fat. When you loose weight without doing any strength training thier is a high chance you are loosing to much muscle. Work out to maintain your muscle mass and diet/cardio to burn fat.

You don't want to loose weight just so you can say, and feel, like a smaller marshmellow.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights isn't the only way to build muscle. I suggest you start doing more crossfit type workouts, and combine them with cardio. You will get the necessary muscle endurance and mass from this sort of excercise, just do your research. In addition, plyometrics used in circuit training help a lot as well. Its better to build your body with "your own" body then it is to use isolation movements in weight training. Good luck.
    Nothing is as effective at building lean muscle as lifting weights and lifting heavy. The problem with just using your body weight as resistance is that you cant increase the resistance, infact as you lose weight that resistancewill decrease.

I would say it's more difficult to calibrate resistance when doing body weight work, but I think it's overstating a bit to say that you "can't increase the resistance".

That being said, I would agree 100% that a beginner like the OP would do better starting off on a more structured lifting routine than being in a crossfit box.

Nothing like telling a 5'4" 190lb newbie to start doing plyometrics.......
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Know your BMR and TDEE numbers. Never net less than your BMR and do not net over your TDEE. Lift weights and add some cardio for your heart. Just my 2 cents.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I would start now. I do circuits w/ weights every other day and I'm 266 at 5'4''!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of stories reagarding lifting weights. people have been saying one needs to lose 1st before trying to lift. Im losing and i want to build muscle as well. So i want to start lifting weights and i want to know. is it true i will remain this big? im around 190 lbs and a lady 5.4 tall
    Your priority should be weight training. Weight training preserves whatever muscle you have. You will not remain "big".

^This!
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I started lifting weights the same week I began my weight loss journey. That was at 243lbs. I am now 199lbs and transitioning into doing heavy weight lifting.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    All I can say on this is: You heard STORIES. You haven't seen proof. Weight training will make you look better. Weight loss will make you look smaller.

One without the other is like taking a shower without soap... you will look better, but you could have looked AMAZING.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I gained inches. I stick to my advice. I was obese from age 30-38... i worked out, did weight watchers and also atkins, it would not fall off. Take all this advice from everyone with grain of salt. Everyone is different. My genes are different and that's what I did and I went from size 18 to size 8 jeans. I would never tell anyone to lift weights, that would not be my advice. Other opinions are opinions just like mine.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I gained inches. I stick to my advice. I was obese from age 30-38... i worked out, did weight watchers and also atkins, it would not fall off. Take all this advice from everyone with grain of salt. Everyone is different. My genes are different and that's what I did and I went from size 18 to size 8 jeans. I would never tell anyone to lift weights, that would not be my advice. Other opinions are opinions just like mine.

Let me get this clear. You are advising against lifting and suggesting she does Weight Watchers or Atkins? You are saying not only did you gain weight but you gained inches too? What kind of time frame are we talking?

How long did you lift for? Did you lift heavy? How much were you eating?
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn. I lost my first 60lbs without doing any weight lifting and loss all my muscle mass, then platued for like 6 months while my body built back muscle.

Just do a little bit of cardio, a little bit of weight lifting, and a lot of healthy eating. That's the secret.
  • compumomma
    compumomma Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am about the same size and working with a personal trainer. He has me doing a mix of cardio and weight lifting. In addition to core exercises. I would hope as a personal trainer he would know what not to do. I would not go real heavy until you are used to it but I have been doing these workouts for a few weeks now. It was hard at first but is getting easier. The point is not to try and do to much to fast. My first workout I nearly passed out!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer 6 months ago and have lost 74 inches off my body now. I love how much stronger I have become. Lifting (strength training ) and cardio is, from my personal experience, a crucial combination. Different things work for different people, good luck on your journey.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love how I barely post but when I try to help someone and give my advice I get chased down like criminal.
    Thumbs down to you negative people. Obviously you have some issues you need to resolve. I am tired of posting and getting beaten up. I was simply saying everyone is different, i was fat and worked out for years what don't you understand about that.

whatever.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I starting lifting when I was more obese, and I'm still obese now and lift...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I love how I barely post but when I try to help someone and give my advice I get chased down like criminal.
    Thumbs down to you negative people. Obviously you have some issues you need to resolve. I am tired of posting and getting beaten up. I was simply saying everyone is different, i was fat and worked out for years what don't you understand about that.

whatever.

In which way did I 'chase' you 'down like criminal '?

I asked a couple of questions that might shed more light on why you got different results to everyone else on this thread.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I started Weight Watchers, also working out 5-6 days a week, cardio and weights, at 318 lbs. I lost 68 lbs before "life" started to get in the way and I had to take a break. Lift weights, you won't be sorry. Even when I wasn't losing weight, everyone thought I was because I was lifting. I looked smaller, and my clothes were looser. Whaddaya got to lose, besides inches? :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i hears this as well. just as recently as 2 months ago when one of the trainers i worked out with when i first joined my gym remarked how much weight i had lost and how good i was looking.

he first saw me during my warm up on the treadmill. then later when he saw me in the weight room deadlifting close to my bodyweight. he told me to not lift like that unless i wanted to get bigger . i was like yeah this has been my main workout for almost a year and you're right i have become bigger. i had to increase my pants size from a 22 to a 12. it took him awhile to get it.

i recently saw him last week with a client and he was showing her how to use the squat rack and when she was like noo i want to lose he pointed me out as an example of someone who has significantly slimmed down thanks to weights (and a calorie deficit)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You got bigger lifting weights at a calorie deficit? How long did you lift for and what was your routine?