Pizza is NOT junk food

Options
On the 600 posts that will roll by today about what to eat and cheat meals and junk food most will mention pizza as being something to cheat with or described as junk food.

Pizza can be a great healthy meal. I am not talking about that frozen cardboard thing made in a factory somewhere and you don't have to make it from scratch with whole grain goody goody nonsense.

Many pizza's available from your local restaurant are good food.

Quit demonizing all pizza.

Replies

• larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree!! My wife and I have a pizza date every Tuesday and still I have managed to lose 48 lbs in 7 months. The key is now I have 2 slices and not 4-5 slices.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I get what you're saying.

However, the only pizza I deem as "healthy" is the one I make at home, from scratch, with fresh ingredients. I know I use less cheese and sugar in my pizza and dough, respectively, than even a great pizza joint like Mellow Mushroom.

Also, Mellow Mushroom has a terrific beer selection, so if I'm eating there, I'm cheating.

;)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Your display picture is terrifying.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Burgers, hotdogs, Chinese dishes etc can all be healthy too.

Sandwiches, salads, yoghurts, smoothies etc can also be horribly unhealthy.

It's all about what you put in it and how you cook it.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    wpic-pizza-win.jpg
  • mizkoukla
    Options
    Amen! I work in a Pizzeria. If you look up the actual calorie count for a slice of Cheese Pizza, its really not that bad. (I believe its 272 calories per slice on average) And that is not even counting if it is lower fat cheese, wheat crust or anything like that. And if you load it with veggies, that is a pretty good way to get some extra veggie servings in there. Considering the pizza is baked and not fried or anything like that. Besides the sauce, there usually isnt much in the way of actual plain sugar, You can always ask for lighter cheese, lighter sauce, and thin crust and most places will be happy to accommodate.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Agree. In fact I hate the term 'junk' food and I think it's way more damaging to the obesity epidemic in the west than if the term never existed in the first place.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

However, the only pizza I deem as "healthy" is the one I make at home, from scratch, with fresh ingredients.

;)

agreed...many many restaurants make it the same way...the only difference is the convenience of having them make it and them cleaning up the kitchen for us
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has some good healthy pizzas also....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

However, the only pizza I deem as "healthy" is the one I make at home, from scratch, with fresh ingredients. I know I use less cheese and sugar in my pizza and dough, respectively, than even a great pizza joint like Mellow Mushroom.

Also, Mellow Mushroom has a terrific beer selection, so if I'm eating there, I'm cheating.

;)

But as someone who doesn't think sugar or cheese are evil, I deem carry-out or restaurant pizza as healthy.
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree, I make my pizza dough from scratch, but don't use whole grain flour as a compromise for my boyfriend but still one average size pizza base is nearly 400 cals... Then add the topping! So for me right now it's not the best choice but it certainly isn't junk food!!!

;)
  • cutierozie
    cutierozie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I <3 pizza!!! Pizza can be junk though depending on how much you consume and what's on it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

hmmmm..I was going for "I'm trapped ...let me out!"
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    It most certainly IS junk food. How dare you defile it by trying to make it healthy!

Odds are if I'm considering pizza for a meal I'm probably not worried about it being healthy for a couple of reasons:

1. It fits my macros for the day (I've probably gotten my "healthy" somewhere else during the day)
    2. I'm gonna be guzzling beer along with it. (refer to #1)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It's a vegetable! Like ketchup! :bigsmile:

When I'm not lazy I make pizza using whole wheat bread dough. It's only slightly more work than cooking a frozen pizza and tastes much better.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    We still eat pizza. Typically order it maybe 2x a month (every couple weeks). We swapped out a couple of ingredients for a few more veggies, just to lower the calories a little. Yummy!

I just make sure that I plan it to fit my day - I won't order it if I'm not getting some exercise that day, haha!

My family and I still enjoy it, so we just pick and choose when we have it, instead of it being a "I'm too tired to cook" cop-out.
  • wildcata77
    Options

;)

But as someone who doesn't think sugar or cheese are evil, I deem carry-out or restaurant pizza as healthy.

Oh, cheese is definitely not evil. Cheese is heavenly.

I'm not saying everyone has to feel the way I feel. I know that the more control I have over my salt and sugar content, the better for me in the end. I have a major sugar problem I'm coming to terms with.

And probably a pizza problem, too. Trust me, I'm not a pizza-demonizer. It is what my 3 year old and I will both claim as our favorite food if asked.
  • wildcata77
    Options

hmmmm..I was going for "I'm trapped ...let me out!"

No, it's definitely giving off more of a concentration camp vibe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Whole grain
    lots of vegetables
    2ish slices?

Sure
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I eat take out pizza about twice a month. Usually have 2 slices from a large and that's enough. I don't think pizza is junk at all. However, for some reason, it doesn't seem to fill me up though. I have had that problem for a long time and I hated pizza for many years because it just doesn't make me full. But, I've resigned to that, and just enjoy the taste.