Pizza is NOT junk food

Options

Replies

• athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    No single food is evil, but most people don't just eat one slice of pizza, they'll order a medium pizza and eat half of it, and that is what the problem is. I'd classify pizza as an occasional indulgence for me.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Pizzas were originally healthy. The problem is that in today's world, there are many variations of pizzas and most of the restaurants add in a lot of high calorie toppings such as pepperoni, processed cheese, oils etc. that somehow makes it a calorie bomb.

I work in an authentic Italian restaurant & the way we make pizzas is very different from the one in commercial fastfoods like Pizza Hut. We use everything from scratch and bake it the old fashioned way wherein we don't use any oil and if we must use oil, it is olive oil. You can tell the difference just by tasting it.

Aside from there are a lot of healthier pizzas available like the vegetarian, seafood etc.
  • You're in self-denial.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You're in self-denial.

LOL
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Clearly it's not the pizza, it is the 6 beers I drink to wash it down!!! :drinker:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Pizzas were originally healthy. The problem is that in today's world, there are many variations of pizzas and most of the restaurants add in a lot of high calorie toppings such as pepperoni, processed cheese, oils etc. that somehow makes it a calorie bomb.

I work in an authentic Italian restaurant & the way we make pizzas is very different from the one in commercial fastfoods like Pizza Hut. We use everything from scratch and bake it the old fashioned way wherein we don't use any oil and if we must use oil, it is olive oil. You can tell the difference just by tasting it.

Aside from there are a lot of healthier pizzas available like the vegetarian, seafood etc.

There's a place close to me that makes pizza like that. It's very different. Unfortunately, they don't deliver. So, I almost never buy from there unless I'm out and about and stop by on the way home, which is pretty much never.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    We live in Buffalo, NY so pizza and wings are a reality. I cannot fight it. Moderation is the key.

D
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Depends on the pizza... I make a homemade veggie pizza that's the bomb...4 slices for 570 calories!!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It really is. But I eat pizza every Friday like clockwork, so what if it is! I'm still maintaing my healhty lifestyle overall :drinker:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Of course I'd say that about a lot of foods but without getting into the philosophy of it, pizza can be very nutrient dense. The only non-diet-friendly quality it tends to have is calorie density, but that certainly doesn't make it "junk".

I eat the @#$# out of pizza, regularly.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    pizzaloverspizza.jpg

Overstuffed.jpg

Photo+Apr+27,+7+47+24+PM.jpg

bacon_cheese_pizza_burger.jpg

tumblr_md4m5uXSaj1qathrko1_500.jpg
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    The key is now I have 2 slices and not 4-5 slices.

I eat 4-5 pieces :ohwell:
    But I make sure it has lots of veggies on it :tongue:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Of course I'd say that about a lot of foods but without getting into the philosophy of it, pizza can be very nutrient dense. The only non-diet-friendly quality it tends to have is calorie density, but that certainly doesn't make it "junk".

how YOU doin?

call me pizza.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked pizza :sad:
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Burgers, hotdogs, Chinese dishes etc can all be healthy too.
    Sandwiches, salads, yoghurts, smoothies etc can also be horribly unhealthy.

It's all about what you put in it and how you cook it.

Yep. Totally agree. Its not so much whets in the piazza that makes it junk. Its how much of it is consumed and the accompaniments
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to make pizza from scratch, though. And it almost always taste better than restaurant pizza.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

QFT
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you eat a piece or two, I don't think the typical pizza is any more or less harmful than the equivalent amount of calories you get from other foods. As others have pointed out, the pizza "experience", however, which includes fatty toppings and a couple of beers or glasses of a nice chianti, will be a cheat meal if you let it get out of hand. If you can limit yourself to a piece without all that other stuff, there's your healthy compromise.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Flat out pizza!!

Multi grain Flatout with flax...100 calories

Two tablespoons Classico Asiago LIGHT Alfredo sauce...45 calories

Two ounces of diced boneless skinless chicken breast ...55 calories

1/4 cup (28 grams) of mozzarella cheese...80ish calories

NOW, add a whole serving of spinach and mushrooms or any other veggies you like...HEALTHY PIZZA!!
    I used to eat these OFTEN!!! Helped me lose the 106lbs that I lost (had to start my ticker over since I am pregnant now and it was killing me to see weight gains taken from my 106!) You can eat the entire thing!!! :) I love it... :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I completely agree!

Pizza Express do these 'light' pizzas you can buy in the supermarket, they are really tasty and 460 cals for the whole thing (and it's not a bad size either).
    I eat it with salad and, if you have the spare cals, home made oven cooked chips. Just spray them with zero calorie cooking oil and oven cook them and you can get a really good sized batch for 200 cals. So, pizza and chips for less than 700 cals. Yes please.

LN_430959_BP_10.jpg