Help! Need some good tips for kicking the soda habit

Options

Replies

• texancountess
    Options
    I decided on Sunday of this last week that I wouldn't drink soda at home anymore. I had a coke zero out at lunch on Monday and then caved and had one Tuesday night with dinner. Right now I'm over 24 hours without one and other than being sleepier this afternoon than normal, I'm okay. I battled that by drinking water and taking my dog for an hour long walk, so the benefits are doubled, right?

I reached a breaking point over the weekend and have just decided enough is enough. I'm ready to not be a soda drinker anymore.
  • weddinglite
    Options
    I've just starting myself. But whats I find helpful for me is that I have a bonus calorie day once a week on Sundays. Everything in moderation. Pick one day of the week to reward yourself. For example Weight watcher has bonus pt's , you can reward yourself up to 250 bonus calories. That can be your soda, a piece of cake or a class of wine. You are rewarding yourself for staying on track. After while you aren't indulging some much of your soda. And you will have something to look forward too.
  • George1567
    Options
    In October of 2011 I finally faced the reality that I needed to take control of my health and fitness. This could ramble on into a long boring story. Cut to the chase, I drew the line in the sand, no more pop/soda or McDonalds type fast food......period. I am not going to fight either way that these things are good, bad, or indifferent........I just knew that I didn't need them and the mental power gained by making this change would set the stage for better choices in other areas as I moved forward. AT some point you just have to want this........for you.........just because you do!!!

I am about a week away from my 365 consecutive day on MFP and going strong. Have reached my first goal weight which I felt was un-realistic when I set it. Now on track to soon be less than 200#, a weight I surpassed in the 9th grade (1985/1986). Everything about this past year has been about education on nutrition/ fitness and having mental control. Best wishes in your journey!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I used to drink up to 2 litres a day .... scary to think of how terrible that is!

I love fizzy pop - especially cola and Dr Pepper. And lemonade and Fanta.

I stopped drinking it completely almost 3 weeks ago - cold turkey. It was quite difficult but not as difficult as I expected. I really thought I wouldn't be able to do it and that it was a bit of an addiction.

Turns out it was more habit than addiction and I just have to be strict with myself!
  • SkullMama73
    Options
    In October of 2011 I finally faced the reality that I needed to take control of my health and fitness. This could ramble on into a long boring story. Cut to the chase, I drew the line in the sand, no more pop/soda or McDonalds type fast food......period. I am not going to fight either way that these things are good, bad, or indifferent........I just knew that I didn't need them and the mental power gained by making this change would set the stage for better choices in other areas as I moved forward. AT some point you just have to want this........for you.........just because you do!!!

I am about a week away from my 365 consecutive day on MFP and going strong. Have reached my first goal weight which I felt was un-realistic when I set it. Now on track to soon be less than 200#, a weight I surpassed in the 9th grade (1985/1986). Everything about this past year has been about education on nutrition/ fitness and having mental control. Best wishes in your journey!

I had my "a-ha" moment a few weeks ago when walking up a couple flights of steps and ending up so out of breath. Turning 40 in January is another motivator.
    Congratulations on reaching your goal weight!
  • SkullMama73
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips and motivation! It's good to know I'm not the only soda addict out there.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I also heard another tip that sticks-- if you leave a can of coke in the toilet over night and flush it in the morning, your toilet will be squeeky clean... and you're putting that in your body!
  • SkullMama73
    Options
    I also heard another tip that sticks-- if you leave a can of coke in the toilet over night and flush it in the morning, your toilet will be squeeky clean... and you're putting that in your body!
    [/quote

That's one I've heard often but never tested.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way girl... for me i found that using the water mixers... like crystal lite or something similar helped me more than anything. It did take some time to kick the habbit completely but I did finally do it!!!

^ this. Its a hard habit to kick but things like Mio and Crystal light can help.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Plain Club Soda + MiO = ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 0 calories, no diet taste, no Aspartame. Cheap!
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    I was drinking a fountain soda that was 64oz every day. That was practically 2 liters of crap in my mouth on a daily basis. I tried several times to kick the habit to fail. Then I realized something, I kept drinking that sugary death trap even when it didn't taste good anymore... WHY? It was in a cup with a lid and a straw. So then I think Hmm.. Maybe that is my ticket to freedom. I start carrying ice water in the same exact cup and kept it with me all day. That way I had something to suck on whenever I wanted it (haha yeah I said suck on).

I can proudly say it has been over a year and soda free. You just have to fight through the *kitten* of caffeine withdrawls. Yeah it sucked at first but after a month my body felt so much better.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who loves the fizz; soda water and juice still hits the spot!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Tip 1: JUST STOP IT.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just stopped. I might have one now and again at a weekend or as a mixer if having spirits... But I made myself switch to juice or cordial with meals, water at all other times and my customary morning and afternoon cup of coffee.

If nothing else - it sure gives me a stack of calories back in a day!
  • cbk93
    cbk93 Posts: 35
    Options
    Try adding fresh squeezed orange, lemon or lime juice and a zero calorie sweetener to club soda.
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a diet pepsi junkie and know that stopping the soda will aid in losing weight
    but I also know that depriving yourself of the things you like isn't a good thing
    either, so this is what I do...I don't follow a specific diet but do stay within a
    certain number of calories, nor do I deprive myself of the things I like.
    When it comes to diet pepsi I wait until I really want one and then go and
    get ONE. The big thing is don't deprive yourself of anything you like
    it's not going to hurt to indulge once in a while. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • wildcelticrose
    wildcelticrose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda is nasty and extremely unhealthy.

I quit soda many years ago, but occasionally want a fizzy treat.

I take plain sparkling water (not club soda which has sodium) and mix in a an ounce or so of POM Pomegranate juice. It's a super yummy treat and way healthier than diet or regular soda.
  • EmmalineHarris
    Options
    Give carbonated v-8 fusion a try. They've got fruit flavors, are fizzy, have more caffeiene than sodas, and are waaay less calories.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I cut back to 1 caffine free diet coke a day when i got pregnant, then when i got heart burn i stopped all together, now i cant stand the stuff and havent had any in over a year. Cut down to 1 a day and then make the decision to stop. after a couple of weeks you may find you dont miss it, and if you do decide to have one you might not like it.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Most soda isn't "real sugar" it's HFCS and it's not the same. No one bother flaming me about that because my mind is made up. I don't think corn syrup is any better for you than artificial sweeteners. If you want to have a soda and it fits in your calorie allowance then have one. But try to find one with actual real sugar.