Exercising when you feel a cold coming on...

Options
2»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Quoted to add the last caveat. If you have a fever, do not exercise.

One more caveat...also skip if you have an infection (may not present fever) above the throat.

The hard and fast rule though is to listen to your body. If you're already worn out just from doing the day to day, don't push yourself by working out. I'm still recoving from Shingles that presented a little over a month ago. Technicall it was below my throat but could've just as well been on my head. Anyway, the point is, it wore me right out although I had no fever or infection, so the above/below throat rule doesn't apply in all situations. If you feel like you might be able to do something than go for it but keep it low key. If you really don't have the energy then listen to your body and rest up.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I have the luxury to do so, I find that spending a day or so sleeping at the start (where you just have the aches and scratchy throat) will significantly speed my recovery time. If I give my body the chance to just fight the virus for a day, it can usually kick it within 3-4 days. However, if I work/exercise through it, I tend to develop secondary infections (typically sinus infections, bronchitis, and/or laryngitis) that can take weeks to get through. So, I would vote for taking it easy. (And yes, I probably should have spent last Wednesday in bed; this laryngitis is getting old fast.)