To weigh daily or not to weigh daily

Options
What are your thoughts? Should a person weigh in daily, weekly, monthly? What works best for you as far as motivation is concerned?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I stopped weighing while I go to the gym for heavy lifting. I am focused more on measurements at the moment.

I do not want my fear of the scale going up messing with my desire for some extra muscle mass.
  • pudgeylou
    pudgeylou Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because it keeps me motivated.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop weighing daily. Apparently I gained 2lbs since yesterday according to my scale lol. Even though I know I didn't and it's likely to flucuate back down, it's still discouraging to see it go up. I'm going to weigh every Monday morning.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I measure once a month. I look in the mirror every day ????
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    I think daily weight averaged over a week is pretty accurate as long as your weighing yourself at the same time each day. Then you can see if you are on track of losing ____ lbs per week.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i don't weigh daily. i'm currently losing my last 10 lbs, weighing every 2 weeks, or once a week if i'm feeling particularly curious.

it's discouraging to check every day when i'm aiming to lose so little each week. it's easier on me mentally to check it every 2 weeks, to see a pound lost, rather than .1 - .5 a week.
  • db1106
    db1106 Posts: 42
    Options
    It's really up to you. If you can go into it knowing AND expecting your weight to fluctuate from day to day, then do it daily if it fits your needs. If it is going to mess you up mentally seeing a 2 pound increase after a hard workout the next morning, then weight yourself once a week or every two weeks.

I always recommend getting to a level where you really could care less what the scale says. Base your achievements of how you look in the mirror, how your clothes are fitting, and what your measurements say.

The scale can be your worst enemy during dieting.
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Weekly only. Daily is a bit too OCD for my taste:)
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    While the medical professionals will say NOT to weigh daily, I am obessed with the scales. I am on them every time I am in the upstairs bathroom. I know when I got to bed at night, whether or not I will be down in the morning. I only use what I weigh first thing in the morning as my 'offical' weight. It gives me motiviation by stepping on the scales so much.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I weigh daily because it keeps me motivated.

/\ This! I didn't used to, but it's nice to get an average sometimes, so lately, I've been weighing every couple of days or so.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week now I weigh every morning. I am finding that my weight flexs through out the week and I can easily tell now how my body reacts say the morning after a heavy work out vs a morning after no work out. I try not to get discouraged and atleast log my weight once a week whether up or down.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because it keeps me motivated. The number on my scale is wayyyyy lower than it has been in YEARS, so it's always a mood booster. This method works for me, but I also am able to not freak out about the normal fluctuations. I know some people prefer not to do it every day, because they don't deal well with seeing the couple of pounds that sometimes show up for no reason. I think you just kind of have to figure out for yourself what method works best for you!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days. If I eat really well and exercise a day, I may not weigh myself the following morning.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I weigh, measure (waist, bust and hips and calipers for bodyfat percentage) once per month only.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I weight daily. I record if I show a loss. I don't record gains. I record the same time, under the same conditions. It's a habit. I lived in a world of bad habits before, why not add a good one to live by now?

That said, I don't freak out if there's a gain.. and I don't lose my mind if I can't weigh.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and always have. The daily weight will fluctuate both up and down, it's the overall trend that I watch. For me it shows how what I eat affects me. For example, tortilla chips and cheese = average of 3 lbs in water retention.
  • tskitzoid
    Options
    I say it depends on you. If you can handle seeing your weight change, going up and down, each day and not freak out, then go for it! Otherwise I'd say weigh once a week. Also be sure to be measuring yourself as well since you might not go down in pounds, but you might lose inches overall. If you're exercising and weight lifting (doesn't have to be body-builder weight lifting) then you might either not lose any pounds, or even gain, but you might be losing tons of inches as you tone your body since muscle weighs more than fat does.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Bi weekly (every other weekend) works for me, it gives the body time to adjust. I try to be as consistent as possible - normally my weigh in happens on a Sat / Sun morning and before I've had anything to eat.
  • Mcfatcat
    Options
    If you weigh yourself you need to weigh yourself at the same time the days you choose. (That way there's no, "OMG I gained 2lbs overnight!")

I recommend weighing yourself based on how much you burn extra daily. For me it's 500-1000... so I weigh myself everyday, or every other day so I can keep up with my weight fluctuation.

For me I weigh at about 8:30-10:30 and If I miss that time frame, I just don't do it.
  • Retrograde_Orbit
    Retrograde_Orbit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Because of possible fluctuations, I'd say weigh once a week and try to do it on the same day and time each week. As well as that, I'd recommend a weekly or bi-weekly measure up of the usual areas, arms, neck, chest, waist and so on. So that you can track those improvements too.
    Sometimes it is possible to make improvements in body shape without losing further weight. Sometimes you may even gain, as muscle is denser than fat.