Should I cut out bread?

Options
If I cut out bread,rice, and potatoes, will it help me with my weight loss?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It worked for me, since those are the things I tended to overeat. I replaced them with veggies. It's hard to overeat veggies. Ultimately, it comes down to staying at a calorie deficit. If you cut those things out, but then eat lots of candy that takes you over your cal goals... it won't help your weight loss.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

No.. But eating under your maintenance calorie intake every day will... Keep it simple Calories in vs Calories out..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Would depend on what you replace them with and if you have any underlying medical conditions
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I cut out potatoes for sure, but I didn't and won't cut out bread. I love sandwiches and I'm sorry I just can't eat one without bread. Just buy healthy bread. Sara Lee has low calorie bread. I've been buying Jewish Rye bread, it's 70 calories a slice. Taste good too :)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating white bread and i only do wheat now. i would say that it helped for me only because the white bread I was eating had a lot more calories than the wheat bread that i eat now. plus, i do it more for the sugar reduction and other health reasons.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    oops.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bread and potatoes are some of my favorite foods. Don't cut them out completely if you like them. It will cause you to crave them, and overeat them when you try to satisfy the craving. Limit them as much as possible.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Maybe just replace with whole grain bread, brown rice or quinoa, and non-fried potatos
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the person. Some people are more successful losing weight limiting breads, potatoes, and rice. Me...I lost 45 pounds in part because I regularly ate those three foods.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
    oops.

LOL
    220px-I_Taw_a_Putty_Tat-original-title.jpg

Then you deleted haha
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with these foods, but if it helps you to reduce calories, yes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    :tongue:
    oops.

LOL
    220px-I_Taw_a_Putty_Tat-original-title.jpg

Then you deleted haha

Lol. It was too big.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need to reduce calories, not food groups. If you quit eating bread and replace it with something of equal calories it isn't going to make a difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No.. But eating under your maintenance calorie intake every day will... Keep it simple Calories in vs Calories out..

^^^ This!

That said, what kind of breads and rices are you eating? If you're eating white breads and white rices, I'd switch over to whole grains and brown and wild rices. This, and portion control have made a big difference for me. I'm getting a lot more fiber (especially soluble fiber) than I ever used to. In RE to potatoes, you might consider using small red potatoes to better control portions and mix in some sweet potato from time to time as well (really good for you)...and remember, skins on...that's where the nutrients are.

If you're noticing on your diary that your carbs are exceeding the recommended amount, you'd likely want to trim back...but I wouldn't cut them out all together. Rices, potatoes, and breads provide essential nutrients to the body.

Just remember serving size/portion control and be honest with your diary...and keep a calorie deficit.
  • Katie22222
    Katie22222 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You need to reduce calories, not food groups. If you quit eating bread and replace it with something of equal calories it isn't going to make a difference.

It does make a difference, if you replace it with something containing more nutrients, for example. Bread really is just empty carbs.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to bread, and hate potatoes.

Try sweet potatoes. They're awesome and very satiating.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I mostly cut out bread from my diet I still eat my carbs thru other sources my oatmeal primary and fruits I love my oatmeal and fruits It seems to have helped me but of course so has the excersise and having a deficit. I cut it out becouse I LOVE bread. Still eat pizza everynow and then and rolls smothered in butter on the holidays. Or is it butter smothered in rolls I always forget.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    if you cut out bread, cook an egg in the hole! delicious!

egg-in-the-hole2.jpg
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have mostly cut out bread, potatoes and pasta from my diet - my general rule is that I don't buy them to eat at my house, but I don't protest if someone else is cooking or if we're eating out. I just found that I could NOT eat an appropriate serving if left to my own devices, so cutting it out all together was the answer. It helps me stay within my calories and, as someone else says, I eat way more veggies and fruit as an alternative. I still cook with rice and rice noodles.
  • Monie_LG
    Options
    I'm not sure how healthy it is to completely cut out bread, carbs are still part of a healthy diet.
    However, replace bread with whole wheat and limit yourself to eating it only in the morning or for lunch, never later.
    Potatoes, you can have them maybe once a week, but make them sweet potatoes, much healthier. And not fried of course!