Should I cut out bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The question isn't should you but could you... for the rest of your life?

If the answer is no, then don't. Lose weight by eating in a fashion that you will be able to maintain forever, or you'll just put it all right back on again plus extra.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If I cut out bread,rice, and potatoes, will it help me with my weight loss?

It's suggested you eat them in limited quantities. However, limiting those foods may be even more helpful in preventing heart disease and diabetes. High glycemic foods, such as white bread, white potatoes, and white rice, convert to sugar when consumed. The basic guidance is: Don't eat white foods. You want to predominately consume low-glycemic foods. You can search the internet for lists of low-glycemic and high-glycemic foods. Good luck!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If there are no medical reasons for cutting out bread I would say NO. Your profile says you're 18 year old male with 35 pounds to lose - set a sensible calorie goal, eat a healthy well balanced diet with lot's of protein, fresh fruits and veggie and work out like a beast..you'll do fine!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I cut the crust off of the bread because my kids don't like it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's suggested you eat them in limited quantities. However, limiting those foods may be even more helpful in preventing heart disease and diabetes. High glycemic foods, such as white bread, white potatoes, and white rice, convert to sugar when consumed. The basic guidance is: Don't eat white foods. You want to predominately consume low-glycemic foods. You can search the internet for lists of low-glycemic and high-glycemic foods. Good luck!
    Ugh. The glycemic index means NOTHING. Low glycemic foods convert to sugar when consumed just like high glycemic foods do. ALL carbs are sugar. Also, consuming sugar does NOT cause diabetes, stop spreading lies.
  • rufflestx
    Options
    Kind of lengthy, but "bottom line - - This is not the wheat your great-grandmother used to bake her bread. It is FrankenWheat -- a scientifically engineered food product developed in the last 50 years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html
  • love22step
    Options

Ugh. The glycemic index means NOTHING. Low glycemic foods convert to sugar when consumed just like high glycemic foods do. ALL carbs are sugar. Also, consuming sugar does NOT cause diabetes, stop spreading lies.

Tiger, I hope you're not a doctor, but, if you are, you probably need to work on your bedside manner. Where do you get your information that all carbs are the same and equally benign? I didn't say sugar causes diabetes. I still stand by my belief that choosing healthier carbs (such as fruits) and limiting junk carbs (such as chocolate bars) aid in the prevention of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

[/quote]
    Kind of lengthy, but "bottom line - - This is not the wheat your great-grandmother used to bake her bread. It is FrankenWheat -- a scientifically engineered food product developed in the last 50 years.

[/quote]

It's almost impossible to get away from the GMO foods. Some countries are banning them. I've been planting heritage, non-GMO seeds, but I recently heard GMO pollens in the air are contaminating foods grown from heritage seeds.
  • love22step
    Options

Tiger, I hope you're not a doctor, but, if you are, you probably need to work on your bedside manner. Where do you get your information that all carbs are the same and equally benign? I didn't say sugar causes diabetes. I still stand by my belief that choosing healthier carbs (such as fruits) and limiting junk carbs (such as chocolate bars) aid in the prevention of diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

It's almost impossible to get away from the GMO foods. Some countries are banning them. I've been planting heritage, non-GMO seeds, but I recently heard GMO pollens in the air are contaminating foods grown from heritage seeds.
  • txlissa62
    Options
    I make sourdough bread weekly. I have a slice at breakfast for toast, and two slices at lunch in a sandwich. I've been doing this every day since April, and have been steadily losing weight.

However, along with my toast in the morning, I have Egg Beaters for protein. I have the toasted bread with homemade jam only, no butter. (I'd rather save those calories for something else.)

For my lunch sandwich, I have some Boar's Head No Salt Added turkey breast and some light mayo. I also have an orange or a couple clementines.

I usually limit my starches at dinner time, frequently not having any at all. I usually just have a protein and one or more vegetables. Sometimes I'll make a dish with rice or fingerling potatoes, but not every day. I will say that I have found that I have more success if I snack on nuts and/or fruit in the evening, rather than carbs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The source of the sugar makes no difference to your body. Sucrose, glucose, and fructose in a chocolate bar are identical to sucrose, glucose and fructose in an apple. In fact, the human digestive system doesn't recognize "apple" or "chocolate bar." I only recognizes the individual molecular components that foods are made of. The best way to prevent heart disease and diabetes is to not be obese. The best way to not be obese is to not over consume calories. Food choice is totally irrelevant to that end. People can very easily eat a chocolate bar and maintain a healthy weight, and people can very easily overeat fruit and become obese. Your argument is a straw man that seeks to blame one specific nutrient, completely missing the forest for the trees.

As for the "FrankenWheat" comment, that's also a straw man, as you can literally insert just about any natural food you can think of into that sentence and have it be true. Chickens have been scientifically engineered over the last 50 years to be completely different animals. Pigs have been completely reengineered over the last 75 years and would be almost unrecognizable to someone who grew up at the turn of the 20th century. Same with cows, apples, pears, nuts, carrots, beans, grapes, cucumbers, lettuces, cauliflower (the white color is 100% unnatural, and is a completely man made phenomenon,) avocados (all Hass avocados are genetic clones of a single tree from the 1930's,) the list can go on indefinitely. It's just a bunch of fear mongering cleverly worded to sound believable enough to sell books. These same types of arguments were used in the 80's to demonize fat. Once science proved that wrong, they moved on to carbs and sugar. Once that's proved wrong they'll probably move on to protein (there are already several myths about the dangers of eating "too much" protein, of course, never does it actually say what "too much" is, just like these "evil sugar" myths.)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    depends how much of that stuff you eat. Those foods are pretty dense in calories and don't really leave you feeling satisfied (for me at least).