"asian thin" vs. "american thin"?

Options

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed about myself when I was getting fatter, the fatter I got, the more normal fat seemed in other people. People that I perceived as fat before now seemed more normal sized. Weird head game.
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I found this fun Worldwide BMI Calculator.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

I was always considered fat by Asian standards. The fat comments were hurtful, but I knew I had more good stuff inside than they did on the outside for putting me down.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I think the clue is actually in what you wrote. You compare yourself to 'naturally' thin Asian friends. We are who we are. If you're not naturally thin then that's just the way that you are. Just focus on getting to a healthy weight for you no matter where you live or what your ethnic background. You look very pretty to me so hold your head up and love yourself x
  • ninjasylph
    Options
    I find that there is a direct correlation between surroundings and physical size in Asia. For example, in Japan the population is VERY dense, everything is made smaller to accommodate the large population. When you gain weight in Japan, it is very noticeable so I think they pay more attention to their diet then the average American because the incovenience is more noticeable. In Japan there is also greater emphasis on portion control.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    I am 7/8ths faan kwai loh. The other 1/8th is Han.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Send in the Crown
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Americans of any race/culture tend to be really fat. I read somewhere that more than half of American adults are obese or overweight.

I am an American who is black and among black people here, black women especially, there is a propensity to be really fat. I have talked to plenty of black Americans who really believe we are naturally fat; that it has nothing to do with overeating and lack of exercise. This is not true.

I have met quite a few actual Africans who are quite slender, not fat at all, and when you look at pictures of people who are from Africa most seem to be fit and trim. And no, I'm not talking about Africans from areas/countries where getting enough food is an issue. I'm talking about people who are well fed.

So I understand what you mean...

I agree, but I think some ethnics tend to be a little shapelier, like Blacks, Brazilians. And some people regardless of their race are naturally heavier, but that doesn’t mean they have to be overweight.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Compared to Asians, Americans are fat. Very fat. That's regardless of ethnicity or gender.

People will compare you to what they are used to seeing. If you see something everyday, it becomes normal. Hence, Americans generally find that being overweight is normal, and therefore healthy.

Asians are much thinner, so being much thinner is normal to them.

It's all about perspective.

As a European [UK] I can only agree with this comment.

On my first trip to US [Florida] I was a fat by UK norms, but found i was the slim bloke even though i was very much overweight.

It is all perspective,but fat is fat regardless of country
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    One word "Genetics"

I have my thin asian mother's genetics. Although I wish I had my father's genetics (stocky).

You don't appear to be overweight IMO.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    well, americans are fat on average.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There is a blog that deals with this very thing... it's really good: thickdumplingskin.com. Body image and being Asian.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    As a European [UK]...On my first trip to US [Florida] I was a fat by UK norms, but found i was the slim bloke even though i was very much overweight. It is all perspective,but fat is fat regardless of country

Oh yeah? Last time I was in the UK y'all were looking pretty rotund to me. Y'all may have even surpassed the US.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I think the stats were 70% or 2/3s of americans are obese.

I live in houston, the fattest (not sure if this has changed) city in the United States. I kid you not almost EVERYONE i know is overweight. I am constantly made fun of or called "skinny" or "flacca" and i have a BMI of 20. Which isn't even too thin.

It's ALL about perspective. I heard that if i were to go to korea they pretty much have one to two sizes. I am a US 1-3 and was told that i would be too big for the two sizes they have.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As a European [UK]...On my first trip to US [Florida] I was a fat by UK norms, but found i was the slim bloke even though i was very much overweight. It is all perspective,but fat is fat regardless of country

Oh yeah? Last time I was in the UK y'all were looking pretty rotund to me. Y'all may have even surpassed the US.

In the UK an estimated 60.8 per cent of adults and 31.1 per cent of children are overweight.

In the US-
    •Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 35.9% (2009-2010)
    •Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 33.3% (2009-2010)

Source: Health, United States, 2011, table 69 [PDF - 9.8 MB]
    •Percent of adolescents age 12-19 years who are obese: 18.4% (2009-2010)
    •Percent of children age 6-11 years who are obese: 18.0% (2009-2010)
    •Percent of children age 2-5 years who are obese: 12.1% (2009-2010)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I found this fun Worldwide BMI Calculator.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

I was always considered fat by Asian standards. The fat comments were hurtful, but I knew I had more good stuff inside than they did on the outside for putting me down.

I am terribly fond of this website because it says my bmi is lower than the average Japanese woman my age. Having lived in Japan, I find this unlikely, but if the research says so...:drinker:

Equally, I get quite a thrill when my Japanese MIL says I look 'smart' (meaning thin) when we Skype. In contrast, my mum gets quite anxious when I get near to a BMI of 20 (she threatened to force feed me! :laugh::grumble: ). So, OP, I know how you feel, but the opposite way round!
  • kachochan
    Options
    Of course there's Asian thin and American thin.
    Asians body frame is very different (shoulders, chest, hips etc everything is more compact) and their healthy weight is different from American healthy weight. They are shorter, their shoe size is much smaller.
    At the gym I've never seen any woman who would weigh more than 70 kg, 50-55-60 is very common for a mid-age woman. Older ladies gain a little bit, but 75 kg is pretty rare.
    Also when women are pregnant, normal weight gain is different, it's only 8-10 kg, while in Europe and I believe in US it's more than that. So foreigners have a bad time being pregnant here 'cause docs really grill them on that ;)

I live in Japan and I used to feel very big and very curvy. So did my friends of different nationalities. If you're a little bit bigger than Japanese L (which is smaller than in the US), you'll have troubles finding shoes, pants, bras etc.

I lost some weight now, so I feel better, but I am still very different, and will probably always be.

Are they a motivation to lose weight and get fitter? Definitely yes. Would I feel the same if I lived in the country where I would be considered slim? Definitely yes.
    It doesn't matter where I live, I wanna be healthier and look better.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have experienced it!

I am a first generation AA, I was rail thin as a child-I ate the typical Asian diet. I got made fun of by the kids at school because I was thinner than the rest of them.

When I got to college, I started eating what my friends ate, typical American foods, pizza, burgers, french fries. I got fat, grossly fat (I also believe hormones from the pill were a contributing factor as well).

So, I decided to lose weight, and went back to a mostly Asian diet, and I started losing weight rather quickly. Many of my friends wondered why I wanted to lose weight, "You don't look fat! You look fine" Well, apparently Asians also hold weight really well. (I am not happy with the number on the scale, but the size of my jeans tells me I should be).

An American diet it terrible, we are bombarded with food food food! Fast food, food full of fat, sugars and preservatives. I know many Europeans who moved to America, and they gained weight because they converted to an American diet.

I saw your profile, and I would say, "you look 'average' " for the general American weight, not 'thin' nor 'fat'. Maybe find a happy medium somewhere between American Thin, and Asian Thin?

Best of Luck to you!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    All the asians girls I know are always on a diet. That should be some sort of indication of asian thin vs american thin

Another thing to note is asian women don't seem to distribute weight very well. The overweight asian women I've met look very overweight even if they aren't that heavy.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I remember getting on the plane to come back to America, in Beijing, after a month traveling through Asia and being able to tell the difference between the Asian-Americans and the Asians from their waistline. It was amazing. I had not seen fat (Asian fat, American normal) Asians the whole time during my trip until i started seeing the ones with American accents and clothing.

I would go for Asian skinny over American skinny because American skinny is still fat.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've never been out of the US, but I do know that I'm overweight by the BMI standards, and a lot of my peers think I look fine.

I also can tell you that my little brother was adopted from Guatemala, and by American standards, he is underweight. By Guatemalan standards, he is normal. Since he seems to be developing normally, we aren't too worried about it. There is no point in making him feel weird about food or exercise when he seems healthy otherwise.

I try not to worry as much about appearances, or numbers on a scale. I try to go by the way people feel, and act. If you seem like you're healthy enough to do all the things you want to do and generally enjoy life, that's what really matters.