"asian thin" vs. "american thin"?

Options

Replies

• umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    This topic title made me think immediately of an article about a South Korean girl band called SNSD that I read once. It was saying one of the members was "Fat" at like 95lbs.

20100430_belly_taeyeon-460x326_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

The culture surrounding weight is different in Korea at least than it is in Canada, that's for certain. But you need to look at your own health and not that of everyone else. Make sure -you- have a healthy body weight and work out regularly. Make sure -you- get the proper nutrients that your body needs. Don't be concerned with anyone else.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Totally get it, in America my sister-in-law's family spent the whole time saying how skinny my three sisters and I were when in actual fact one was totally overweight after just having had a baby a month previous. I mean she was at least 20lbs to 30lbs overweight, not just 7 or 10. They were all lovely people but massive and we saw some genuinely huge people the like of which you would honestly never see here...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    This settles it. I'm moving to Samoa.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I know Japanese women are getting slimmer than they were 15 or 20 years ago

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/04/AR2010030401436.html
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This settles it. I'm moving to Samoa.
    You and me both. I lived there for a couple years back in the 90's. I miss the climate and the fresh fruit!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I went to high school in Singapore. Most of my friends were Asian. I was 5'5", 125-130lbs, and a size 6. Most of my friends were 5'2", 100-110lbs, and size 0/2. I would say we all looked fine - the genetics are different. The body shapes are different, the frame size is different, the height is different. I had D-cups, while most of my friends could barely fill out an A. My hips were a lot wider set than theirs. I never got comments about needing to be thinner over there, but my size 6 Chinese friend did because her weight wasn't distributed the same way mine was.

Compare Angelina Jolie to Zhang Ziyi - both are thin, just with very different body types.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I teach in Korea (I feel like I open with this a lot, my badddd) and at 113lbs, 5ft I am overweight by Korean standards. If you are above a size 4 U.S. you are pretty much stuck shopping online here.

At school teachers openly talk about each others weight and comment on what they eat. I think standards here are absolutely different. Korean women also prefer more feminine "pretty" men, and Korean men (from observation only) seem to prefer slim/petite women.

I think some of it has to do with food but genetics seems to be the main factor. With the amounts of rice consumed on a daily basis I'm surprised everyone's not walking around with a protruding belly! (not hatin' haha).

My point: Just get to a place where you are comfortable. Make your own standards. Just don't do it the wrong way (e.g eating 800 cals a day ;) )
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Asians are definitely smaller as a whole, so I can see where you wouldn't feel 'thin' around your relatives or in Asia, but if you're at a healthy weight, you're at a healthy weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is cultural or if it is physiological, but lately i've been having the conflict between what "thin" means in america vs. asia.

According to my non-asian friends, I am thin, and should be happy with my weight. however, when I compare to my naturally thin asian relatives and friends, I definitely need to lose weight. Especially when I visit asia, I feel huge over there!

I am all for being happy with who you are no matter what and just choosing to better yourself, but it doesn't help my motivation when I live in the US and am surrounded by people who make me feel thin, when in all actuality, I am 9 lbs above a healthy bmi and even when I was in the healthy bmi range a few months ago, I still was too heavy.

does anyone else identify with this?
    It is a cultural thing. Unfortunately so many Asians that do come to America end up gaining quite a bit of weight because of factors like, work, commuting (eating because bored or stressed), and basically portions compared to that of how food is here compared to Asia.
    But all in all it's controllable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've always heard in Japan that women aim to be less than 100lbs no matter their height. If that is the case, then the standards for "thin" over there may be unrealistic for some women.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the Asian culture treasure smallness in women? Feet binding comes to mind. So, it would make sense genetically that the people are small.
  • SummerMarieM
    Options
    I can understand what your saying. I am from Nebraska and when I was in the UK I felt like Fiona, the Ogre compared to the majority of British women I saw over there, even though I was in great shape at a size 11 at 5'6". Even their dress size UK 12/14 is compared to US size 14/16. I was considered "hefty". There are alot of cultural differences involved though. I did notice there is much more malnurishment and everyone walks EVERYWHERE there.
  • itstimetoeat
    itstimetoeat Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian and I absolutely relate to what you mean about "thin" and comparing yourself to other Asians. Every person's body is different. I've been chunky all my life and that's not acceptable in our culture because most Asian females are VERY petite. It's horrible to hear someone call you fat or overweight but if you let others' dictate how you should look/think you should look, you will never be happy.

I believe that each person should find what makes them happy and follow through. If you know and feel that losing X amt of lbs will make you happy, do whatever it takes to get there. If you want it bad enough, you can achieve it. The process can be slow but you do eventually get there. I was never able to lose weight ever but since I've joined MFP and followed a workout regimen, cut carbs, really pay attention to what I eat and how much calories I intake/burn, it has helped me A LOT. I was able to lose weight.

The worse thing is PLATEAU'ing. It is like the devil of weightloss. Your worse enemy. I am stuck there.

I've done the eat much less cals that what MFP recommends and that's a bad idea. I started plateauing and have been since I did that. I've gone back to the 1200 cals plus the 6 days a week workout. My progress is extremely SLOW. Don't let that defeat you though.
  • Suni3276
    Suni3276 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world.. Lived in India for 6 years.. people out right come up to me and say I have a pretty face but my body is too fat for its own good.. Not to mention being 5 ft 9 inches... that didn't help at all since just about everyone (including the guys :(..) are short also... ugh.. Anyways you have to do what you want and what is good for your body and well learn to ignore.. that is the best thing I can tell you...
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of things:

I think you appear to be pretty proportionate from what I could tell from your profile picture, but you should NOT have your calories set to 800 a day. That isn't healthy at all and I'm not sure what the motivation is behind you doing that.

Also, yes, we as Americans are seen as bigger people than those in the Asian culture. That Hong Kong BMI chart shocked me when it listed a 25 BMI as obese! That's considered BARELY overweight or right on the cusp of a normal weight in the US.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is 1/2 Filipino and half African American. She can look either depending on styling. She is 5'8" and 120 pounds - moved to New York to be in Miss Saigon. She had to loose down to 108 pounds to blend in with the other girls in the show that were Asian. We went to see her and on stage she looked totally normal (aka not too thin). We went back stage and I hardly recognized her - RAIL thin. I was 120 lbs 5'7" back then and was marveling how one of my butt cheeks was the size of her whole back end. Blew me away, but she had to do it to be on par with the rest of the girls that were Asian.
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is 1/2 Filipino and half African American. She can look either depending on styling. She is 5'8" and 120 pounds - moved to New York to be in Miss Saigon. She had to loose down to 108 pounds to blend in with the other girls in the show that were Asian. We went to see her and on stage she looked totally normal (aka not too thin). We went back stage and I hardly recognized her - RAIL thin. I was 120 lbs 5'7" and was marveling how one of my butt cheeks was the size of her whole back end. Blew me away, but she had to do it to be on par with the rest of the girls that were Asian.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would tell my Taiwanese grandma that Asian people are supposed to see North Americans as fat... then maybe she'd stop shovelling rice and chicken drumsticks in my bowl and telling me to "eating more, eating more"...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is cultural or if it is physiological, but lately i've been having the conflict between what "thin" means in america vs. asia.

According to my non-asian friends, I am thin, and should be happy with my weight. however, when I compare to my naturally thin asian relatives and friends, I definitely need to lose weight. Especially when I visit asia, I feel huge over there!

I am all for being happy with who you are no matter what and just choosing to better yourself, but it doesn't help my motivation when I live in the US and am surrounded by people who make me feel thin, when in all actuality, I am 9 lbs above a healthy bmi and even when I was in the healthy bmi range a few months ago, I still was too heavy.

does anyone else identify with this?
    I totally understand how you feel. I'm half-Filipino half-Mexican but I mostly inherited the Hispanic/Euro side & I live in the Philippines. Even at US size 2/UK size 6/Euro 36/XS and 19% body fat, I still look huge here & the smallest that I can fit in will be a M (sometimes even L). However I don't give it a damn & in fact I find it quite entertaining whenever I go to European clothing stores & see those little Filipina ladies piling up at the kid's section of the store with the look of frustration & embarrassment on their faces. Well that's the 'price' you get for being thin, its payback time little gals :laugh::devil:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    You don't look massively thin to me (sorry!)

I think perceptions are skewed by context. Many, many Americans are grossly overweight, in comparison to the average American you are thin.

Asians (I think) currently have less of an obesity issue, and average a more normal healthy weight.
    They may not look obese but more than 90% of them are skinny-fat which is equally unhealthy & are metabolically obese. In the Philippines where I am, everyday I see stick thin men & women with bulging bellies and arms, thighs & legs that jiggle like a Jell-O. Not attractive at all.