Replies

• grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    Healthy Choice frozen greek yogurt!
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Fage Greek Yogurt Plain 0% or 2%. I like it plain but it's great mixed with fresh fruit (strawberries, melon, blueberries, etc.), dried fruit such as dates, chopped nuts, or vanilla/chocolate protein powder. I eat it pretty much every day as my after dinner snack.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Make your own from organic whole milk. (Once you get the method down, you can use reduced fat milk.)

Get some "real" plain yogurt (nothing in it but cultures and milk). We usually use Nancy's at our house.

Buy whole milk, maybe just a quart, for your first batch.

Eat all but about half a cup of the yogurt.

Heat the milk up gently to 180 degrees.

Cool it to 110 or room temperature (so that you don't have to babysit it).

Mix a little of the cooled milk into your yogurt to make it more liquid.

Pour all the milk and yogurt into a container (preferably glass) with a lid. Mix it together a little if you like.

Leave the container in your oven overnight with the light turned on to keep it warm.

In the morning, put the mixture into your refrigerator. It should firm up as it cools. Add whatever you like to it: some vanilla, some preserves, a little orange juice, or just eat it plain.

Now, if you want "greek yogurt," just put a cup or so of the yogurt into a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter over a bowl. (There are also little strainers made for exactly this purpose.) Let it drain for a day or two. The longer it sits, the firmer it will get. You can add the whey to other dishes (I put it into my cereal with my soymilk and some yogurt). As it gets really firm, it makes great "yogurt cheese." I can rarely wait that long though, because this yogurt is so tasty.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just make your own. It's very simple to do. Lots of youtube videos on it. I make my own greek yogurt. Try sweetening it with honey, or maple syrup. I add frozen bluberries to mine sometimes.:smile:

PM if you have questions

Good luck
  • Arunakae
    Options
    Dannon Lite and Fit Greek Yogart. Fruit on the bottom. I add berries to them.

Dannon Lite and Fit is the best! I don't love other greek yogurts, but I eat one of these almost every day. I usually add a little granola, but they're heaven without it, too.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt. I especially love the fruit at the bottom or vanilla variety. Good luck!

^ This
    I love the Vanilla and the Black Cherry.
  • cruisesguide
    cruisesguide Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani Greek yogurt. It's high in protein. The passion fruit one is my favorite, but I also like the pomegranate, peach, or plain with a little honey mixed in (about 1t).
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally...I like Publix supermarket brand the light yogurts are very good!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Fage 0 or 2 percent plain. Like the 2 better but it is not always available. I mix it with my steel cuts. Also use it for dipping my fruits, apple, bannanna or raspberries.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I put fresh fruit, honey, nuts, flaxseed in my plain greek yogurt! It is yummy!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Try making your own yogurt? :)
  • courtleemens
    Options
    these are really good and my favorite by far. If you can find Champions yorgurt for kids ( dont laugh to hard its good lol ) its by Choban greek yorgurt the mixed berry is good and smaller container is only 100 cals and has great protien!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Oikos plain organic with blueberries and granola!
  • courtleemens
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt. I especially love the fruit at the bottom or vanilla variety. Good luck!

i meant to quote this when i sent my reply ...hee hee oops
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I take the fat free Fage Honey. They keep the honey in a separate container until you want to mix it. I microwave the honey for 15 seconds and then mix it into the yogurt. the honey gets runny and then mixes in really well. Mmmmmmmmm
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Making your own yogurt is just not practical... yup tried it. Buy the large plain yogurt of your choice (way cheaper) and then add 1 TBS raw sugar and a lil vanilla. Tastes so much better that those commercial brands.

In WA state there is a yogurt called Cascade Fresh - not artificialsweeteners, zero preservatives or refined sugars. Sweetened with old fashioned fruit juice - it is hard to find usually at the premium grocery stores and whole foods or health food stores. Maybe there is a local company that makes the equivalent of Cascade Fresh.

Good Luck!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Making your own yogurt is just not practical... yup tried it. Buy the large plain yogurt of your choice (way cheaper) and then add 1 TBS raw sugar and a lil vanilla. Tastes so much better that those commercial brands.

In WA state there is a yogurt called Cascade Fresh - not artificialsweeteners, zero preservatives or refined sugars. Sweetened with old fashioned fruit juice - it is hard to find usually at the premium grocery stores and whole foods or health food stores. Maybe there is a local company that makes the equivalent of Cascade Fresh.

Good Luck!

You can make yogurt without buying packets of powder :)
    It ends up much cheaper, plus you know it's fresh!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Dannon Lite and Fit Greek Yogart. Fruit on the bottom. I add berries to them.

This one! It is THE BEST! I don't add anything to it- it's perfect the way it is. Thick and creamy (not thin and runny like most!) and it's Greek yogurt- so 2x the protein. And the best part... it's only 80 cals!!! I will never eat another yogurt!!
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Siggi's - it's the thickest of any yogurts!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump