You sleep HOW much??

I've heard that the amount of sleep you get can effect your weight loss. Do you guys find this to be true? Is there a set amount of time you should sleep? I struggle to get 6 hrs each night.

Replies

• makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    I take prescribed sleeping tablets to help me sleep as I suck at sleeping, now I could sleep for England! Usually I get 6 hours a night, unless it's a weekend in which case i'll sleep all day :D
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    I think 7-9 hours is optimum. I'm not sure about how it affects weight loss; I know that it plays at least some role in muscle building. Either way, sleep's important.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I sleep a lot, 8-9 hours per night. When I used to work overnights and didn't sleep much, I don't know if it affected anything because I was much more active at my job.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Yes. And I don't get nearly enough. I'd be much happier w/9 or 10 hrs - but I get 6-7. I am tired 100% of the time - aside from being too tired to exercise most of the time (I know, excuses, excuses) I think just overall it's not good and is making it harder to lose weight.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    6hrs+ is optimal

I take SleepWell gummies (just one during the week and two on the weekends) Its not habit forming, but I find I get into that deeper REM sleep for longer than without it. I feel more rested. Since I've started my morning workouts; now getting up at 5a, I find these help a lot!!

I usually go to bed by 10p'ish and wake at 5a!
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    8-10 hours a night.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    In my experience the amount of sleep does help, especially the quality of the sleep.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    It's suppose to be good for weight loss because when you are sleeping you aren't eating :laugh: I'm happy with 7-8 hours.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    I only sleep 4 nights a week. Between Friday and Monday I don't sleep due to the schedule conflict between my job and my three kids. If it affects my weight loss, oh well. MY body better adapt to that crap. lol
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    How can you function on 6 hours of sleep? I know everyone is different, but wow! I would die. I sleep 8-10 hours every night. If I get less than 8 hours, I can't function.
  • Sleep is important, the amount probably varies depending on the person and their energy levels. Also, I'd say it's more about the quality for me. For example, 6 hours of well rested sleep is better than 8 hours of broken sleep in my opinion.

Forget to add how much I sleep: Some days only 2 hours, some days I don't sleep at all, some days I get in 8 hours.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    6hrs+ is optimal

I take SleepWell gummies (just one during the week and two on the weekends) Its not habit forming, but I find I get into that deeper REM sleep for longer than without it. I feel more rested. Since I've started my morning workouts; now getting up at 5a, I find these help a lot!!

I usually go to bed by 10p'ish and wake at 5a!

They make sleep gummies? Wow.
    I struggle to get 6 if I have to work. If no work then I can go back to bed or take a nap.
    My body wants naps.:yawn:
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    I NEED 8 hrs, if i get 4 im happy, lol a toddler and a new born dont help you sleep well.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    8 hours. I'm crabby if I don't get enough!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    8-9 hours for me.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    I think it does. When I get enough sleep, I'm able to think clearly about the next day. This helps with making good choices, food and exercise wise. If I don't sleep enough, I get tired and sluggish and slack off.

That being said, I really need to aim for a couple more hours a night. I get on average....probably 6 hours. Or less. For me, I need about 8 to function good.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    4-6 hours is my norm on weekdays. I catch up on the weekend with 8-10 hours. It isn't healthy, and I've noticed I tend to lose more weight when I've been sleeping well, but college puts a wrench in things, ESPECIALLY during finals. I do fine during vacations, but then comes the issue of my going back home where everyone has unhealthy eating habits...
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    7-9 hours is optimum. And yes, sleep does affect weight loss. If you don't get enough sleep, your body compensates for the energy loss by telling you to eat more. This is physiologically proven by the higher levels of ghrelin (the "hunger hormone") in people who sleep less. You're body says "I don't have enough energy" and releases ghrelin to tell you to eat.
  • Raivyn
    Raivyn Posts: 6 Member
    When I asked my doctor about weight loss, he told me that I needed to worry about getting enough rest first. He said that I would not loose weight until I started getting enough sleep. I think I am getting what "should" be enough sleep finally these past 2 years (since my youngest was 3) but my body is still tired all the time so I'm guessing there is no set # of hours because everyone is different. (I now am in bed for 6 - 7 hrs and maybe sleep 5 - 6 of them)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    5-6 hours a night