Anyone else feel guilty for eating back burnt calories?

Options

Replies

• BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I try not to. But being realistic there are "bad days" and when I see I will go over I will do more exercise to compensate. But I tend not to eat back my burnt calories.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I only exercise so I can eat more food. No guilt
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    No because I took the time to learn how this site works...
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I completely feel the same way. I feel so good after burning those extra calories and then for some reason I feel even more guilty eating afterwards than I would without having exercised. Doesn't make ANY sense at all.

I had to eat back my burnt calories yesterday too since I'm on a 1200calories/day diet and recovery would probably take way too long if I wouldn't.. but I couldn't even enjoy my food :(

WHAT DO YOU DO TO AVOID THIS FEELING?!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I eat the burnt ones first so I can serve the golden brown ones to my guests. It's actually public service and the mark of a good hostess. So, no.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I count on my exercise calories to fuel my huge calorie consumption days... good gracious, I eat like a pig.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I still lift daily, Bench 3 sets 10 reps 310 lbs. I have a six pack now, just want to cut the rest of the fat. im currently 8 %. Running will burn the calories to shed the fat.

Seek professional help and benching more than 2x bw for 10 reps, impressive
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    no, a calorie goal is a goal, i only feel a bit guilty if i go over into surplus cals
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yup. A few is OK because then I don't feel like I went over my cals, but to eat them all I feel terrible.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel guilty for eating back my exercise calories....Sooo...

I changed my settings, now my diary shows what I should eat IF I maintained my weight on sedentary. Then, whenever I exercise I add that in..... it tells me how many calories remaining I have - of course I don't eat them all back because I want a deficit (I set it on maintenance there is always going to be remaining calories if I am following it right)

I aim for 500-1,000 calories remaining. I don't have to eat them back because I'm making my own deficit and need to see calories remaining.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    pretty sure I work out MORE so that I can eat MORE. I never feel guilty for eating the back.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    No, because at the end of the day I'm still at a healthy deficit. Sometimes if I burn a lot of extra calories I might not be able to eat them all back if I'm just not hungry, but I usually try to eat them back (or at least most of them). I just make sure my net doesn't get too low.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Nope....to eat the calories my body needs to burn fat would just be silly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Then why not calculate your goal based on your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) minus a healthy deficit instead of a low cal MFP goal plus energy expenditure. That way you will still be eating at a correct deficit to lose weight, but won't have to add more calories for exercise.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I feel guilty that the word "burnt" brings back memories of this. What a cast, though! :love:

burnt_offerings_ver2.jpg
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No guilt whatsoever, I don't eat them all back as I assume that there's a margin of error for both consumption and expenditure but yesterday I enjoyed 3,000 guilt free calories and was still under my net calories target.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I had to eat back my burnt calories yesterday too since I'm on a 1200calories/day diet and recovery would probably take way too long if I wouldn't.. but I couldn't even enjoy my food :(

I was on a 1200 calorie diet too, and like you I felt really crappy "eating back" calories. I felt more successful the less I ate. I didn't realize at the time that it would eventually become a fully blown eating disorder.

Beware of fooling yourself into thinking you're eating enough based on your goal. Don't blind yourself to how much you're actually consuming. If you can't NET 1200 calories of food, then you shouldn't be going out of your way to burn extra calories. You're not actually satiated - You just feel too guilty to eat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Start a marathon training program. It will teach you the inherent importance of eating back exercise calories. I'm dead serious.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Guilt should not be associated with eating. You will benefit from some deep personal introspection on why you would feel this way when giving your body fuel. Be careful with yourself. You are not on a healthy mental path.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options

WHAT DO YOU DO TO AVOID THIS FEELING?!

1) I love food, and if I have to exercise to be able to eat steak or chocolate pudding, that's fine by me
    2) My body will only respond the way I want to if I fuel it right. If I put cracked gas in my car, or set off on a 500 mile trip with 1/4 tank, I wouldn't be surprised when it stopped right at the side of the road. Why is my body any different?

Now, I have fitness and body composition goals, not weight goals. So, my underlying approach may be different from yours. I do want to lose inches, but I want to do it by getting leaner, faster and stronger rather than purely by shedding fat. So for me, I have to train hard, and I know from bitter experience I do not enjoy the exercise OR see the changes I want if I'm running at 800+ deficit (500 from normal dieting deficit, +300-500 from exercise). Ergo, I eat back what I need to feel full and to give my body the macros it needs to perform as I expect.