Anyone else feel guilty for eating back burnt calories?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    It is disordered thinking. Feeling guilty of feeding your body enough! The contrary of health.
    I like this very much. One shouldn't feel guilty about giving your body adequate energy to function properly based on activity.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    No because I took the time to learn how this site works...

^^^ This!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    So just eat back half.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    I still lift daily, Bench 3 sets 10 reps 310 lbs. I have a six pack now, just want to cut the rest of the fat. im currently 8 %. Running will burn the calories to shed the fat.

Isn't 8% body fat already the low end of the healthy range of body fat? Why would you want to be at a lower level than healthy...
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I dont know why I am so hard on myself but I feel horrible for eating back the calories I have burnt. Today I burnt 700 cals from a 6 mile run and I ate the suggested 1600 calories for the day but MFP wants me to eat the 700 back. As soon as I go over my original goal of 1600 I feel horrible. Any opinions?

For my back story, I was 225 lbs and stuck to a 1000 cal a day diet and lifted daily. I lost 60 lbs or so in 4 months then started running long distance. I am training for my second marathon and am currently 148 lbs. I started eating more and not tracking calories when I first started running and still was losing weight but I am now trying to get to 6 % body fat so I joined this site in an attempt to track my calories again. I dont have a problem dieting, I just feel horrible for eating more than the recommended calories for a pound a week, even when i burn calories from running.

Thank you for your responses.

and
    I still lift daily, Bench 3 sets 10 reps 310 lbs. I have a six pack now, just want to cut the rest of the fat.im currently 8 %. Running will burn the calories to shed the fat.

HUH???

Apparently I'm missing something along the timeline here. You're able to bench twice your weight gaining muscle over a 4 month period eating 1000 cals a day? You're at 8% body fat, and wanting to get to 6%? At 8% body fat and the muscle to bench twice your weight...you should be able to eat a TON more than 1600 cals without dropping a sweat...at least I would think you should.

You have one MFP friend who apparently lives in the same town you do. You have only the one profile pic.

Either there's a lot I'm missing, or you're just one really really bored dude looking for internet cred.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    My one friend is my wife. I dont have other friends on here because, well, I just dont I guess. Feel free to add me. I would love to fill my page with half naked pics but pretty sure thats disrespectful to my wife. This topic was never about my lifting, only about how I feel about eating back calories I have burned. Thanks everyone for the posts tho!
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 627 Member
    I think the lifting got put into question because it was obviously fabrication...so if you fabricate that story, why would we believe anything else that is said? We just wanted answers to that so we can believe anything else you say.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    No because I took the time to learn how this site works...

^^^ This!

^^^YES!! MFP already calculates a deficit for you, so you can lose weight (500 calories a day for 1lb a week weight loss). Exercising earns you more calories to eat back!! You don't have to eat it back but then your deficit will be even greater than what MFP calculated to start with. Feeling guilty for eating back exercise calories seems like an eating disorder. If you aren't hungry don't eat it back, but any professional athlete can tell you that you need to eat back the calories you burn!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    What was fabricated? I do appologize if you think im lying. I guess it is up to you what you want to belive. Again, this post was simply bout eating burnt calories.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    I feel fantastic when (erry day!) I eat back my workout calories because I always lose weight more quickly that way and build muscle faster.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I still lift daily, Bench 3 sets 10 reps 310 lbs. I have a six pack now, just want to cut the rest of the fat. im currently 8 %. Running will burn the calories to shed the fat.

Isn't 8% body fat already the low end of the healthy range of body fat? Why would you want to be at a lower level than healthy...

Out of that whole statement the bf% is what jumped out at you?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Before we assume anything here and get harsh, one should ask what type of "310 lbs" he is talking about. Are we talking about resistance/cables or is it under a bar with plates?! Makes a big difference!

Example: Bowflex, My Total Gym, ect!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    What was fabricated? I do appologize if you think im lying. I guess it is up to you what you want to belive. Again, this post was simply bout eating burnt calories.

Unless you are Clark Kent you aren't bench pressing 310 on a barbell.....with freeweights......for 10 reps if you weigh 160.
  • why are you still dieting? I'm a bit confused.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    @secretlobster + @xidia

my problem right now is that I initially started running so I could eat more, since I love food too. Then it was all about running and running itself and nothing else. But ever since I joined MFP my mindset's changed, since now running has partly become means of losing weight. I only feel guilty when I'm not hungry, but know I need to eat back the calories so I have plenty of energy the next day.. do you know what I mean?

By no means though am I developing an eating disorder. I love food way too much for that. I guess I'm just stressed out since I just joined the track team for next semester and everybody's so tiny and so in shape. So now I want to be leaner AND faster, which is not all that easy!!!
    You need to be cautious about comparing yourself to peers as well as those goals (especially performance-related ones). In descending order, the sports with the highest evidence of females with EDs are: cross country, gymnastics, swimming and track and field. Regardless of your goals, you need to be aware of how much energy your body needs to truly maintain your body weight according to energy demands. Many women in such sports begin to consider weight loss as a means to improve performance: "The less I weigh, the faster my time will be." Unfortunately, without realizing it, they begin adopting unrealistic goals accompanied by self-destructive behaviors that compromise their health. The "improved" results in performance from severe calorie restriction are temporary (one semester or two) but the effects due to deprivation and stress can be permanent and irreversible.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    NO WAY!

I eat 2000 every day, at least, and don't even keep up with the calories burned.
  • fabrah80
    fabrah80 Posts: 9 Member
    I'm as guilty as they come....hahahahahahahahaha

LOL!!!
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    also ur never gonna get to 6% by running - u need build muscle and eat low carb... trust me... how many marathon runner do u see with a tight six pack? How many bodybuilders?

Actually, I have seen plenty of runners with a tight six pack. Running definitely targets your core muscles.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    When I'm alone in my room, sometimes I stare at the wall...

QFT