Do you believe heavier people shouldn't ride horses?

Options

Replies

• JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's one of the reasons I'm losing weight. I would never subject a horse to me right now, but I miss riding.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    It's one of the reasons I'm losing weight. I would never subject a horse to me right now, but I miss riding.

a man called Horse

one of my favorite movies

just sayin
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It would probably depend on the size and age of the horse. Most people don't realize it, but horses are very sensitive, and get thrown out of whack quite easily.

Yep, I agree completely!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It would probably depend on the size and age of the horse. Most people don't realize it, but horses are very sensitive, and get thrown out of whack quite easily. That being said, a relatively large adult horse shouldn't have any problem with it.

My horse once got a chiropractic adjustment and was a new man! But, horses can handle a LOT of weight. So long as the horse matches the size of the rider its usually ok.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Haven't you heard of Hofgrir Horse-Crusher? Got drunk and cracked a colt's back in two. He hasn't ridden since.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't believe ANYONE should ride horses. Horses are so intelligent. Would you ride a dog?

I shouldn't bother to reply to something so stupid, but obviously dogs aren't large enough for humans to ride. But dogs are happier doing a "job" as well. Horses, like most higher level mammals, enjoy doing things with a purpose. They like the structure of training. Have you ever even been around a horse?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I don't believe ANYONE should ride horses. Horses are so intelligent. Would you ride a dog?

flawed reasoning is flawed.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    As many people have already stated, horses can be hurt if the rider is too heavy.

Now i really want to go horse back riding!
  • Jessicarctica
    Jessicarctica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ride a horse-the poor horse!! i would want someone my size riding my back lol,,gawd i hope that sounded normal
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think it is up to the horse... they can be very expressive.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My husband once went riding with friends when he was younger. He is 6 ft 5in and currently weighs about 250 pounds, most of which is muscle. At the time he was around 260. The people at the riding camp looked at him and looked at each other and then one of them ran off to bring in the work horse, an enormous draft animal (probably a Percheron or Shire) He said it moved quite placidly along with the riding horses and hardly seemed to notice he was up there.

The big draft horses can manage substantially heavier loads. Think about the jousting horses from the Middle Ages, when they not only carried a full grown man dressed in heavy steel armour, but also a massive amount of armour on their own bodies as well.

So I don't think heavier people shouldn't ride horses--just stay off the tiny little Arabians and Morgans and opt for the big draft horses.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I think it is up to the horse... they can be very expressive.

especially the very first time
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    A horse can carry up to half if's own weight before it starts to have problems. A Person would have to be ~500 pounds to cause issues.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I shouldn't bother to reply to something so stupid, but obviously dogs aren't large enough for humans to ride. But dogs are happier doing a "job" as well. Horses, like most higher level mammals, enjoy doing things with a purpose. They like the structure of training. Have you ever even been around a horse?

As much as I love horses, most breeds were bred to be stupid. Just sayin.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article about this. Basically, it was an opinion piece stating that someone who is obese or over 300lbs should not be riding horses because it is painful and can actually cause damage to the horse. I don't know anything about horses but I was wondering if this was true. Do any of you own or know about horses? Is this cruel to the animal?

In many states that rent horses for riding, you cannot go for a ride as a woman if you are over 200 pounds, for a guy it is slightly higher - like the horse actually knows! My one-der-land reward was going for a horse back ride.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    A horse can carry up to half if's own weight before it starts to have problems. A Person would have to be ~500 pounds to cause issues.

This is not true at all. You put 490 lbs on my QH and he isnt going to be able to move. The standard "rule" is 20% of the horse's BW. Putting a 500lb person on a 1000lb horse would be cruel and unusual punishment.
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been taking riding lessons for about 6 weeks now... I have loved horses since I was born.. and I ride with some ladies we're all near the 200 pound mark and we all ride thoroughbreds or quarter horses. They do just fine. Our instructor actually said that the horses are fine carrying larger people.. now say someone who is very heavy and can't balance on the saddle.. I would be hesitant.. but it is all on the trainers discression too
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I loved being flamed and told my posts are stupid because of how I feel about it. :laugh:

I have ridden horses, and I am only 6 pounds "over weight" and I still feel bad about riding on them. I'd much rather see them in their own groups and doing whatever the hell it is that they want to do.

But hey, for thinking outside the box you're bound to be bashed and flamed. I'm very opinionated so I should have expected to get flamed for thinking against the norm.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

did you figure...since you dont have a clue...you would just make something up?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I loved being flamed and told my posts are stupid because of how I feel about it. :laugh:

I have ridden horses, and I am only 6 pounds "over weight" and I still feel bad about riding on them. I'd much rather see them in their own groups and doing whatever the hell it is that they want to do.

But hey, for thinking outside the box you're bound to be bashed and flamed. I'm very opinionated so I should have expected to get flamed for thinking against the norm.

did you not read that most horses actually love giving us a ride? who are we to deprive them of that joy?