Do you believe heavier people shouldn't ride horses?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I loved being flamed and told my posts are stupid because of how I feel about it. :laugh:

I have ridden horses, and I am only 6 pounds "over weight" and I still feel bad about riding on them. I'd much rather see them in their own groups and doing whatever the hell it is that they want to do.

But hey, for thinking outside the box you're bound to be bashed and flamed. I'm very opinionated so I should have expected to get flamed for thinking against the norm.

Do you want to knit some hats for them and start a club?
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I loved being flamed and told my posts are stupid because of how I feel about it. :laugh:

I have ridden horses, and I am only 6 pounds "over weight" and I still feel bad about riding on them. I'd much rather see them in their own groups and doing whatever the hell it is that they want to do.

But hey, for thinking outside the box you're bound to be bashed and flamed. I'm very opinionated so I should have expected to get flamed for thinking against the norm.

LOL!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options

:heart:
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Sure I'd love to, if I knew how to knit they'd all have sweaters for the winter. Why don't you pull up a chair and help? Let's see, knitting for an animal that large would take hours, so I'd imagine the calorie burn on that would be great.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options

My horse WANTS to be ridden. He jumps in the trailer, we saddle up and go exploring the woods by the lake. He has a pep in his step, his ears are perked forward, and he is ready to take on the world. He loves to work. A lot of horses love to work and get bored when idle (ie: not being ridden) and develop bad habits out of boredom. Most breeds of horses were bred to do some type of work. Sure, they like hanging out in the pasture too but most of them prefer to have a job.
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    If it puts the horse in danger, obviously no, that person should not be riding the horse.
  • Lamon_
    Lamon_ Posts: 16
    Options
    Poor horse
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    don't hurt the horsey!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I don't believe ANYONE should ride horses. Horses are so intelligent. Would you ride a dog?

ETA - While I do enjoy riding horses, and horses enjoy having a purpose....if it makes *you* feel better, I'll stop immediately.

23082436.jpg
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

My horse WANTS to be ridden. He jumps in the trailer, we saddle up and go exploring the woods by the lake. He has a pep in his step, his ears are perked forward, and he is ready to take on the world. He loves to work. A lot of horses love to work and get bored when idle (ie: not being ridden) and develop bad habits out of boredom. Most breeds of horses were bred to do some type of work. Sure, they like hanging out in the pasture too but most of them prefer to have a job.

I don't know why anyone is taking my statement so defensively. Good god lol! Just because I feel bad about riding a horse, that's my deal, I don't bash anyone for wanting to ride a horse, so in retrospect I believe I shouldn't be bashed for my thoughts on it and not having the desire to ride one. I guess I'm wrong if I don't agree with the crowd. I'm happy your horse enjoys being ridden. When I see a 200 pound kid trying to climb the back of a pony at the pony stables walking them in circles and the pony stops and tries to lay down it breaks my heart. So while horses have good owners and their horses are treated right yadda yadda, there's been instances where I feel bad for them.

So on my own personal feelings, I don't have the desire to ride the horse.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    A horse can carry up to half if's own weight before it starts to have problems. A Person would have to be ~500 pounds to cause issues.

This is not true at all. You put 490 lbs on my QH and he isnt going to be able to move. The standard "rule" is 20% of the horse's BW. Putting a 500lb person on a 1000lb horse would be cruel and unusual punishment.

I apologize. I had misinformation and should have checked it first.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I don't believe ANYONE should ride horses. Horses are so intelligent. Would you ride a dog?

I totally would, if I was under the weight limit. Sounds kind of fun actually.

I consider myself of at least passable intelligence, and I give my kids rides all the time. I bet horses consider us to be some stupid two-legged children.
  • _happycats_
    _happycats_ Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ride a horse-the poor horse!! i would want someone my size riding my back lol,,gawd i hope that sounded normal

haha just FYI...horses weigh like 800-2000 lbs...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Totally agree. I'd love for the tables to be turned & them ride us..... see how we like a fattie on our back.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article about this. Basically, it was an opinion piece stating that someone who is obese or over 300lbs should not be riding horses because it is painful and can actually cause damage to the horse. I don't know anything about horses but I was wondering if this was true. Do any of you own or know about horses? Is this cruel to the animal?

When I used to horse ride, no more than 80 kilos weight were allowed.
    Horses are delicate and having 300 pounds on the horse would cause serious damage to the health of the animal.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    last time I rode a horse I was over 400 pounds, so they gave me the big mean one.

*kitten* hole threw me in 5 minutes LOL

It did not help my hangover.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    :( Is this a trick question lmfao
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I own horses. If you weigh 300 lbs you probably should not climb on a 14hh pony who only weighs 900 lbs. However, if you were to climb on a 18hh draft horse he wouldn't even know you were up there. That being said, a 120 lb person can't climb on an out of shape horse and ask it to climb to the top of a mountain. It would have a heart attack and die.

My husband is 260lbs. His saddle weighs at least 40lbs. So that's 300 already. Add his gun, bedroll, snacks and water you're up to 350lbs. His horse has never complained or been injured. She goes and goes anywhere he points her head. He has also ridden my horse who is used to carrying only 150lbs or so. My horse has never had a problem either.

Moral of the story... if you think you are too heavy, find a bigger horse. I don't agree with the post that says horses are delicate. Horses are tough. They are meant to be used, just not abused.

Also don't agree that you shouldn't ride a horse. When my horse sees me get his saddle out he comes running to the gate. He loves going for a ride as much as I do. How sad for them to just sit around all day with nothing to do. It's like saying you shouldn't lift weights because it keeps you in shape.

Think I'll go for a ride after all of this :)
  • SalamanderMeg
    SalamanderMeg Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I don't know why anyone is taking my statement so defensively. Good god lol! Just because I feel bad about riding a horse, that's my deal, I don't bash anyone for wanting to ride a horse, so in retrospect I believe I shouldn't be bashed for my thoughts on it and not having the desire to ride one. I guess I'm wrong if I don't agree with the crowd. I'm happy your horse enjoys being ridden. When I see a 200 pound kid trying to climb the back of a pony at the pony stables walking them in circles and the pony stops and tries to lay down it breaks my heart. So while horses have good owners and their horses are treated right yadda yadda, there's been instances where I feel bad for them.

So on my own personal feelings, I don't have the desire to ride the horse.

People are taking offense because it sounds like you think all horse owners are cruel. While I am very against things like pony rides at the fair where a horse walks in a circle for 12 hours at a time, most horses that are well-cared for enjoy getting out of their pasture to go for rides. I'm not trying to be mean to you, just trying to let you know more about horses. And we can't just "Free Willy" all of our horses so they could go to their thing-they'd wind up being hit by cars. The last remaining wild herd is subjected to slaughtering for the Asian horse meat market. So I'd say my horses that have a nice warm stall and a 10 acre pasture and weekly rides through the woods are doing pretty well.
  • softkitty15
    Options
    I used to go to a ranch quite frequently and I saw an obese 9-year-old riding a very small pony (the same pony I've rided since I was a small girl, my favorite pony. She was just so patient, calm and friendly to children!). The poor thing looked exhausted and frightened and to top it all off, she was pregnant. :cry:

I don't want to be rude to obese people, especially children who are not yet aware of the damage obesity does to their health AND to the animal, but until you lose weight please stick to these ponies...

tumblr_lz6ylmF0WC1qfyx5uo1_500.gif