When should you stop eating for the day?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I try to swallow the last bite before I fall asleep, to minimize the choking hazard.

Not eating after a given hour is a myth that has been disproven over and over, but still will not die. Your body doesn't have a clock and your metabolism works 24 hours a day unless you're dead - in which case you have bigger problems than what time to stop eating.

^^first answer is correct answer.

Unless it impedes sleep or means you are going over calories - eat whenever
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The real question is, when you wake up at midnight and have a snack, do you log it on today's calories, or tomorrow's calories?
  • Shanthornton
    Options
    I have read 'somewhere' that our bodies produce a hormone called Leptin at nite during sleep that controls our appetite and metabolism and this is when we actually lose the weight.. I've been instructed to try not to eat after 6pm however I'm working out at time and don't get home until 8pm.. then I was instructed not to eat after my 8:30pm snack and go 12hrs until the next meal.. which seems to be working for me... Any thoughts?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i eat like 3oz of chips nightly immediately before bed, cant say its set me back
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're awake. Don't eat when you're sleeping.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The real question is, when you wake up at midnight and have a snack, do you log it on today's calories, or tomorrow's calories?

YES!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

YES!

which?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    When you run out of calories or if you're not hungry anymore, whatever comes first. Your stomach does not know what time it is!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for clearing that up for me! Here I've been all worried about eating my last snack at 900 pm and I shouldn't really worry about it. :D

9pm is my snack time too!! If you still have calories go for it!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I go to sleep. I am not aware of any proof that setting any kind of time frame on your eating results in weight loss. Eating well and burning more calories than you consume is the typical formula for weight loss.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.

Proven where and by whom? SHENANIGANS I say. SHENANIGANS. I generally have a bowl of cereal with milk meant to grow big calves shortly before going to bed and my digestion is fine.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have read 'somewhere' that our bodies produce a hormone called Leptin at nite during sleep that controls our appetite and metabolism and this is when we actually lose the weight.. I've been instructed to try not to eat after 6pm however I'm working out at time and don't get home until 8pm.. then I was instructed not to eat after my 8:30pm snack and go 12hrs until the next meal.. which seems to be working for me... Any thoughts?

Whoever is "instructing" you is spouting junk science but if it's not going to hurt you and if it's working for you there's no reason to change it.
  • mdandres
    Options
    I have read that your body metabolizes food at a relatively stable rate throughout the day, for example, if you just lay in bed all day, you metabolize food at the same rate at 1pm as 1am. The difference is that you are active throughout the day so people misinterpreted this as having lower metabolism at when you are asleep.

The reason they say to not eat past a certain time is because you are more likely to have uncontrollable food urgings and binging at night so to prevent this, they make this little tip/rule to not eat past a certain time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I have reached my calorie goal, or when I go to bed, whichever comes first.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've heard 3hrs before going to bed. I think that has more to do with getting the food digested before laying down so heartburn isn't a factor. If you're up, no matter what time it is, your body is working so it needs fuel.

this is probably most accurate from what I've read.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.

Proven where and by whom? SHENANIGANS I say. SHENANIGANS. I generally have a bowl of cereal with milk meant to grow big calves shortly before going to bed and my digestion is fine.

Night time cereal is the best!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want. There's no reason to stop at any particular time on the clock. Your body doesn't work that way.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    when i am actually in bed ready to go to sleep..I dont stop eating cause the sun goes down..It has not hindered any weight loss
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I log them into the next day since it's after midnight.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Until you brush your teeth. After that it's a crime. And immoral. And leads to the death of baby seals.