When should you stop eating for the day?

Options

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When people say not to eat after 6-8pm, it's based on past suggestions when people went to bed much earlier than most of us do. Just plan not to eat a couple hours before whatever time YOU go to bed.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Basically we are a culture of people who like to be busy all day and then come home and binge at night. If you don't eat large amounts of food immediately before you go to bed, you'll probably be fine. I have bedtime snacks all the time if I'm hungry, but I try to eat an apple or some steamed veges. :flowerforyou:
  • SylentZee
    Options
    Everyone's schedule is different, so I guess it really depends.

I work a 9-5 so I normally get home around 6 and eat dinner then head to the gym around 8:30ish. By the time I get back it's 10:30 and I drink my post workout protein mix with water.

I agree with having a small snack before bed, if your hungry, but not an entire meal lol.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I work shift work and my days are never the same. I try not to eat for an hour before I go to bed, only because I get heartburn otherwise. I think that not eating after 8 has been proven to be a myth but hey if it works for some people keep doing it.
  • 2pupsmama
    Options
    I have read 'somewhere' that our bodies produce a hormone called Leptin at nite during sleep that controls our appetite and metabolism and this is when we actually lose the weight.. I've been instructed to try not to eat after 6pm however I'm working out at time and don't get home until 8pm.. then I was instructed not to eat after my 8:30pm snack and go 12hrs until the next meal.. which seems to be working for me... Any thoughts?

Whoever is "instructing" you is spouting junk science but if it's not going to hurt you and if it's working for you there's no reason to change it.

I go to bed around 9 and get up at 5. So your no eating 830-830 works for me just because it does. No science involved.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    For quite some time in history, people would typically go to sleep in the early evening, wake up again around midnight-2am, eat, have sex, or commit petty crimes, then go back to sleep. I'm trying to reinstate the movement
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When you run out of calories. There is no reason to set an arbitrary time on the clock to stop eating unless eating close to bedtime causes you any kind of issues when you are sleeping.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    For quite some time in history, people would typically go to sleep in the early evening, wake up again around midnight-2am, eat, have sex, or commit petty crimes, then go back to sleep. I'm trying to reinstate the movement

I would support this movement!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal after I come home from the gym, which is about 7ish, but if I get hungry an still have calories left over, I'll eat :drinker:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I try to swallow the last bite before I fall asleep, to minimize the choking hazard.

Not eating after a given hour is a myth that has been disproven over and over, but still will not die. Your body doesn't have a clock and your metabolism works 24 hours a day unless you're dead - in which case you have bigger problems than what time to stop eating.

That shoulda ended the tread :indifferent:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

me too. except replace the "or" with an "and"
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that eating right before bed is bad for digestion and if you are trying to get healthy then hurting your digestion is not smart. But it is 2-3 hours before bed, whenever that is.

I eat right before I go to bed, and have lost over 30 lbs.
    I'm living proof this is BS. :tongue:

The real question is, when you wake up at midnight and have a snack, do you log it on today's calories, or tomorrow's calories?

I count my days from when I wake up,
    to when I go to sleep. If I eat dinner at
    2:30am, I count it the day before. If I
    wake up in the middle of the morning,
    I count it in the next day. :wink:
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is one answer at all. I have found with all matters concerning weight loss and fitness that experimentation with my own body has been the only reliable guide. My needs have also changed as I have aged, so even for me there is no constant. To that end, I will not bother posting what works for me. I will say that eating my last meal early enough for the food to settle has always been a benefit. Digestion debates aside, I tend to sleep better on a calm stomach. Quality sleep is essential to everything.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

Good catch, amendments to the movement noted.

All in favor, say I
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I heard from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw someone out at 31 Flavors last night....well they said 1 hour before bed.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Good catch, amendments to the movement noted.

All in favor, say I

I
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    IF you eat before bed, I'm told cottage cheese or anything with protein is best.

I don't eat at least 2 hours before bed or I get nightmares and stomach aches. Also, when I did, I put on a few lbs :/

So, I eat my dinner, a snack around 7-7:30pm and I'm done for the night.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I generally try not to eat while I'm asleep.
  • carlynicoleelliotte
    Options
    Sleep deprivation and appetite control[edit]

Sleep plays a vital role in regulating metabolism and appetite. When sleep deprived, the metabolic system will be out of balance, which will ultimately affect the dietary choices people make. Teens who are sleep deprived crave more carbohydrates. Sleep deprivation is a risk factor for obesity among young adults.[4]

There are two hormones, leptin and ghrelin, that are important in appetite control. Leptin, released by adipose tissue, is a hormone that inhibits appetite and increases energy expenditure. Ghrelin, released from the stomach, is a hormone that increases appetite and reduces energy expenditure. Sleep deprivation can cause a 19% decrease in the level of leptin. Subjects were deprived of sleep for 2 nights (4 hours per night) and got compensation of sleep for the next 2 nights (10 hours per night). Leptin levels decreased by 18% and ghrelin levels increased by 28%. There was an increase in hunger level by 23 which is probably due to the reduction leptin level. Subjects also preferred high carbohydrate foods (sweets, salty food and starchy food). Craving for salty food increased by 45%. Sleep deprivation can cause people to intake food for emotional/psychological need rather than caloric need of the body.[1][2]

Chronic sleep deprivation (less than 8 hours of sleep) was associated with increase in body mass index (BMI). In the Wisconsin sleep cohort study of 1024 patients, the shorter sleep durations showed reduced levels of leptin and elevated levels of ghrelin. In a study with 3000 patients, it has been found that men and women who sleep less than 5 hours have elevated body mass index (BMI). In another study that followed about 70.000 women for 16 years, there was a significant increase in body weight in those who slept 5 hours or less compared to those who slept 7–8 hours.[1][2][5]

As sleep time decreased over time from the 1950s to 2000s from about 8.5 hours to 6.5 hours, there has been an increase in the prevalence of obesity from about 10% to about 23%.[2]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_and_metabolism